Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:54 pm 
I apologize in advance if I missed updates, but haven't heard anything recently re:
LB-30 and P-82s at Fort Collins
P-40 on top of PNG P-47 dump
B-29 in shallow Alaskan lake
P-61s via Australia
Reilly B-24 from Canada

Thanks,
George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:41 pm 
Maker of Spiffy models

Where's that B-24 at?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:27 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Has YAF looked into the B-24? Would be awfully nice finally to see a Lib at Willow Run where so many of them were built...

S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:24 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I still hate that the YAF didn't move on one of those war vet B-24's that were offered to them back in the 1980's.

Not sure if George Singleton visits WIX, but he could help me remember the name of the island where they were located. Dozens of war weary aircraft including P-40, B-24, A-20, B-26, Corsairs...all sitting just as they were at war's end - and all scrapped in the late 1980s. Horrible shame!

http://www.robmears.com

Post subject: Lost Libs
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:30 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Rob--

Geez, yeah: the kind of thing that makes one want to punch someone! :evil: You could be talking about Biak? Back on the old WIX there was a long thread with pix from there showing Libs, A-20s, P-38s, you name it, taken in the 60s before the dump was, er, cleaned up...Or maybe Nadzab, which iirc is where "American Beauty" and maybe the original "Dragon And His Tail" met the axe (but that would have been circa 1949, not in the 80s!).

S.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:10 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

?????? a B24 up here............

Rob, give me also a buzz.

I will try to help if I can.

Where was this one fished up ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:21 pm 
The original "Dragon and His Tail" was most definately scrapped at Kingman. In fact she was the very LAST airplane to go through the smelters. The workers loved her paint so much they "saved" her til the end.

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:02 pm 
Hi Rob (Mears) - Morotai, and until someone actually goes out there and verifies they are all gone, I'll have a hard time believing the place is completely clean. We all know of the dumps there, and what they must hold.

Take care,

George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:05 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I remember now. It was Moratai Island. The island was turned into a national prison facility following WWII which explains why there had been no tampering with the derelict airframes on the adjacent property during that time. The government (Indonesia I believe) apparently allowed Tom Voll the opportunity to broker the sale of the machines, but I suppose their value (historical or otherwise) was not as big a deal during the 1980s as it is today. I think the story was that it was too cost prohibitive back then to recover derelict aircraft from an island with no port. Somewhere I have a horrible Zerox copy of the letter Tom Voll sent to the YAF, as well as the crude but somewhat discernable photos of various B-25, A-20, B-24 airframes (including one with a nice collection of sortie marks on the fuselage).

Makes me ill to think on it too long. :shock: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:14 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Wow, ya beat me to the punch George ;)

I too would enjoy some closure to this story. If I recall correctly, we had supposedly determined that the scrap man had been hired to clean up the old airfield. If I had a wish, it would be for one of the more notable savvy travelers to make a successful trip to Moratai and do a complete helicopter and ground search of the area. There's got to be something left out there.

It's a long shot, but could there be a chance those P-61 airframes came out of Moratai? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:33 pm 
Rob - If the P-61s came off Morotai, they would have been dug up from the dumps there. The boneyard had rows of B-24s and A-20s, with the occasional Spitfire, Corsair, B-25, P-40 and a couple of C-54s. I would think the P-61s are from a burial dump on Biak, since so many of the type were left there. And I believe you are correct in that the YAF could not afford the retrieval and shipping costs. What could have been is a very sad thought indeed. Somehow they should have been saved.

George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:06 pm 
Rob R - I was referring to Rob Mears but you responded to him before my post went through, so it looked like I was responding to you. And I guess Biak actually belongs to the western side of NG, Irian Jaya, and not PNG. I was only speculating on Biak due to the large volume of P-61s abandoned there and left to rot. Regarding Morotai, I'm really wondering if any westerner besides Tom Voll (in 1986) has been there since WW11. It sounds like the dumps must be still untouched on Morotai.

Take care,
George