Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Re: Brewster Buccaneer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i always liked it's lines & it wasn't all that bad of an aircraft, except for the fact that it had many of the brewster quality control issues that plagued that company's products & relegated their use to trainers, hacks, or lend lease pawn offs in the backwater of the war. i had a friend who had a pair of the weapons bay doors from a buc!! no clue how he aquired them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:41 pm 

Been away from WIX for a couple of days and I find that Mark has yet another incredible photo thread going. What a treat! :D

I also love the lines of the Buccaneer and wouldn't mind seeing any more pics that may be out there.

Mark - as an aside, do you have much of anything on the Vindicator or Devastator?

Thanks,

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The XA-32 version, attmepting to go head to head with the P-47 as an attack aircaft was an evil handling turd that was overweight and seriously underpowered (using a 2000 H.P. R-2800) it was dreadfully slow, the prototype truing out at under 200 MPH before installation of any armor plating or mounting of any weapons, consideration was briefly given to trying the R4360 on it. This project drove the last nails in BREWSTERS coffin.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:06 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Fun fact: The building in Queens, NY where Brewster screwed up all those airplanes still exists and is now a JetBlue facility. 27-01 Queens Plaza North in Long Island City.

August

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Junkyard36 wrote:
Mark - as an aside, do you have much of anything on the Vindicator or Devastator?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes and Yes ... source NMNA archives

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47779

Navy BT-1, BuNo 0615, of VB-6 from the U.S.S. Enterprise, CV-6, in flight along an unidentified shore line circa 1938-1940

SB2U-1 of Bombing Squadron Three (VB-3), Top Hatters, ready for take-off from USS Saratoga (CV-3).

SB2U-1 with Bombing Squadron Three (VB-3) attached to USS SARATOGA (CV-3)

SB2U-2 with Scouting Squadron Forty-One (VS-41) pictured being righted on the deck of ACV-30 (USS CHARGER) after a crash landing.

SB2U-2 with Scouting Squadron Forty-Two (VS-42) pictured on the deck of ACV-30 (USS CHARGER)

SB2U-2 with Scouting Squadron Seventy-Two (VS-72) pictured sitting on the grass on the side of the flight line at LaGuardia Field, N.Y.

SB2U-2s with Scouting Squadron Forty-One (VS-41) pictured in flight somewhere in the Atlantic..

SB2U-V2 with Scouting Squadron Seventy-One (VS-71) pictured sitting on the flight line at Scapa Flow.

Several SB2U-1 & 2 aircraft with Bombing Squadron Four (VB-4) on the USS RANGER (CV-4)

This is a left side view of a SB2U-2, BUNO 1380 belonging to VS-72 off the USS Wasp (CV-7) in flight.

This is a view from aboard the carrier USS Wasp, CV-7, looking aft over a number of SB2U's belonging to VS-71 and VS-72.

This is a view of three SB2U's from VS-72 from the USS Wasp, CV-7, in flight over water on 12 4 1941.

This is a view of three SB2U's from VS-72 in flight over water.

Vought SB2U-1s with Bombing Squadron Three (VB-3)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:09 am 

Mark - thanks for posting these - you are a gentleman and a scholar!

I had forgotten about your November TBD thread. Dang short term memory, but then again seeing the thread again is like seeing them for the first time!

Thanks Again!

Mike