Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:50 am 

Somehow, I missed this thread back when it first came up :oops:

Glad to see the a/c at Creighton is still in pretty decent shape; though the method of display has changed over the years. Last time I saw these airplanes was 12 years ago...

http://www.heritageflight.org
http://www.bravo369.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:28 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

When I sat in the Creighton machine back thirty years ago it was sitting peacefully on the ground in the park. There was absolutely no vandalism or damage, and the original canopy was still intact at the time. I swear I have a couple of photos of it that I took then that show how nice it was. The cockpit was missing only one or two instruments and it looked like you could plug an engine in and go flying.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:21 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Well, I found one of my photos of the Creighton airplane. Ellen took this picture with my trusty Polaroid in 1977/78 when it was just tied down in the park. I have an overall shot of it somewhere..... :wink:

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:08 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Wow, that looked like a pretty neat ol' display, Scott. Heck, they even put a dummy in the cockpit! :shock: :hide:

:lol: Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:27 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

retroaviation wrote:
Wow, that looked like a pretty neat ol' display, Scott. Heck, they even put a dummy in the cockpit! :shock: :hide:

And I thought you'd start with the hair and sideburns.......

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:52 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Second Air Force wrote:
retroaviation wrote:

And I thought you'd start with the hair and sideburns.......

S

Heck, I just thought those were glitches in the old Polaroid film. :-)

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:57 pm 

Second Air Force wrote:
Well, I found one of my photos of the Creighton airplane. Ellen took this picture with my trusty Polaroid in 1977/78 when it was just tied down in the park. I have an overall shot of it somewhere..... :wink:
Scott

That's more like the way I remember it... Think I saw it back in '78 myself; if my CSR isn't acting up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:39 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

One of the photos I took that day shows my mighty 1970 Lincoln Continental. I miss that car......... :?

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:17 pm 

Second Air Force wrote:
RF-84F-10-RE 51-1935 at the York Municipal Airport...is really in pretty good condition

At the time airplanes such as these old jets were mounted up on pylons or stashed in city parks, nobody considered it would ever be possible for civilians to restore and fly them. Is it too late? Do you think that these airplanes could be taken down and restored to flying condition? What a sight that would be at an airshow. A "living-breathing" warbird is more of a tribute to our military history and the servicemen who flew and maintained them than a "dead" static display ever will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Static aircraft are not dead. Scrapped or wrecked ones that no one can ever see, now that is dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:53 pm 

mustangdriver wrote:
Static aircraft are not dead. Scrapped or wrecked ones that no one can ever see, now that is dead.

If it ain't capable of breathing in air in the front (or wherever) and spitting exhaust, prop wash, or jet wash out the rear, it's "dead!"

"Scrapped or wrecked ones" have just been dead longer and they're further gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:22 pm 

Oh boy, here we go again! :? :x

Though I too would like to see some of these old warriors return to the air, a govermental agency still holds title to most of them and it just aint going to happen... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:56 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Rajay wrote:

At the time airplanes such as these old jets were mounted up on pylons or stashed in city parks, nobody considered it would ever be possible for civilians to restore and fly them. Is it too late? Do you think that these airplanes could be taken down and restored to flying condition? What a sight that would be at an airshow. A "living-breathing" warbird is more of a tribute to our military history and the servicemen who flew and maintained them than a "dead" static display ever will be.

I've examined most of the F-84s on display in Nebraska over the years and they are all restorable to one extent or another. The problem with the pole-mounted airplanes is how they attached the pole to the structure. Without removing panels it would be impossible to see if the airplane could be made airworthy. Of course, that is never going to be an option for any of these old girls, so it's just so much speculation and dreaming. The Creighton and Sioux City airplanes at least are displayed gear down so the structure wasn't compromised. I haven't noticed any rampant corrosion on these machines after all the years they have been on outside display, a testament to the construction methods and materials used by Republic. The York airplane is really a clean airframe if it wasn't for that missing quarter window. I'd bet the cockpit is a bird-droppings paradise.

A couple of us were looking for a candidate for restoration to airworthy a while back, but that looks pretty remote at this point due to the ownership issues.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:34 am 
S/N Geek

I have started a dossier for the Creighton F-84...
ImageAerial Visuals - Airframe Dossier - F-84 ?52-6642

Second Air Force wrote:

If you don't mind, it would be great if you could upload a copy of this photo. Eventually I would like to have current photos of all of the warbirds, however the reason I created the database was so there could be a pictoral historical record. The "old polaroids" are fantastic material for that record.

Actually if everyone could check their shoe boxes in closets and attics for photos like this that would be fantastic!

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:59 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Mike,

I'll dig in the various piles, but it will take me a while. You may have to remind me in a few days........

Scott

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next