Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Tempest question...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:15 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Anyone see anything in the last year or two about Chris Miller and his Tempest project? Last thing I've been able to find was from prior to 2016, other than a question or two on fakebook.

Post subject: Re: Tempest question...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Cvairwerks wrote:
Anyone see anything in the last year or two about Chris Miller and his Tempest project? Last thing I've been able to find was from prior to 2016, other than a question or two on fakebook.

Craig,

Chris Miller occasionally posts photo updates here:

http://www.hawkertempest.se/

Search for anything connected with airframe MW404.

EDIT: Some pics as recent as November 2018:

http://www.hawkertempest.se/index.php/i ... k-ii-mw404

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:07 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks Dan. I ran thru the batch of photos, and sure wish he'd get some guidance on doing things. He may be in for some big surprises come inspection time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Cvairwerks wrote:
Thanks Dan. I ran thru the batch of photos, and sure wish he'd get some guidance on doing things. He may be in for some big surprises come inspection time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:06 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Dan K wrote:
Cvairwerks wrote:

I'm wondering how his $60,000 targeted Warbird restoration budget is working for him?
I hope all is well, good luck Chris...

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:28 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

airnutz wrote:
I'm wondering how his $60,000 targeted Warbird restoration budget is working for him?
I hope all is well, good luck Chris...

$60K would probably get it to a decent static point. He'll drop at least that on a motor tear down and prop overhaul.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:07 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

As I recall Cvair' that was his guesstimate budget to flight for most single-engine Warbirds. Of course once he gets it assembled in one piece as a static...well shux, how much more could an engine be? To paraphrase an old torture, life of a thousand cuts...or how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! Crazy bastid may pull it off? Tho a wee skosh over budget.
Edit

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

Last edited by airnutz on Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

airnutz wrote:
Tho a wee skosh over budget.

LOL...Most likely a severe understatement of the year!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:13 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

We're talking about the same guy who posted on here advocating welding up a steel tube fuselage frame for a Hurricane restoration to fly 'because it's experimental so you can do whatever you want'.

And who, before taking on the extremely ambitious Tempest project, abandoned a Harvard project that, as far as I'm aware, has not subsequently been completed by anyone else for whatever reasons.

That poor Tempest. :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:52 am 

Mike wrote:
We're talking about the same guy who posted on here advocating welding up a steel tube fuselage frame for a Hurricane restoration to fly 'because it's experimental so you can do whatever you want'.

And who, before taking on the extremely ambitious Tempest project, abandoned a Harvard project that, as far as I'm aware, has not subsequently been completed by anyone else for whatever reasons.

That poor Tempest. :(

Yep, the old previously banned "Harvard IV" here on WIX - the same person who thought he could overhaul his own carburetors with having had no previous experience or training on them.

Just give it time. Once the project sucks all of his money, he'll sell it and someone else with the proper resources, training and experience will complete it. Some people have to learn the hard way.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:49 am 

Quote:
Once the project sucks all of his money, he'll sell it and someone else with the proper resources, training and experience will complete it.

Aren't there several other Tempest projects, "almost finished" but dormant for decades? Doesn't it seem like no matter what "resources, training and experience" are to hand, Tempests don't get finished?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:55 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Cvairwerks wrote:

He does seem to have an IA providing some competent advice now. It is hard for a couple of guys in a hangar with limited tools to do as nice a job as someone like Nelson Ezell's shop might, but these were pretty robust and overbuilt aircraft.

I believe Chris sold his Harvard 4 project to purchase the engine and prop for the Tempest.

A lot of people have a dream but it seems that Chris is doing better than most at achieving his. His may be done before anyone else's Tempest is!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:03 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Absolutely right Brandon!!!!

Quote:
A lot of people have a dream but it seems that Chris is doing better than most at achieving his

Put your $ forward first....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:44 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

bdk wrote:
He does seem to have an IA providing some competent advice now. It is hard for a couple of guys in a hangar with limited tools to do as nice a job as someone like Nelson Ezell's shop might, but these were pretty robust and overbuilt aircraft.

Brandon: I sure hope he does have some guidance. Even without knowing the dates on some of those photos, what they show would make me very nervous if I was coming to look at that bird. When you see complex moving assemblies sandblasted and painted without even disassembling them first, it doesn't bode confidence. Nor does seeing precision screw adjusters and reamed bores being blasted with black slag.
I want him to succeed, and get her in the air, but I also want him to do so safely and be able to have her flying for decades to come.