Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:09 am 
This is my first attempt at using the WIX arena. I want to personally thank all of those that offered support, advise and just a good conversation concerning the National Museum of Naval Aviation and its run in with "Ivan the Terrible". I am hoping Owen can come over and I will get him permission to get on the base and take some pictures.. It is not as bad as it sounds, but damage is damage. The main museum took some hits and water but nothing was damaged but the building. My staff through our Disaster Preparedness plan made sure that the small artifacts (over one million) were secured as best they could be.. As some of you know many years ago I bifurcated the collection. In the hopes that if a disaster ever came our way, something would be left. Besides the main museum, I have aircraft and artifacts stored in bldg. 3221, and bldg. 604 on the other side of the base. This really helped us. Besides the damage to the aircraft we only lost one artifact which was a "Lucky Bag from 1916".. That is it and considering a water surge of over 13 feet we were damned lucky.. Now, however in bldg. 604 where I have the German Arado, the Rex float plane, and several recovered Lake Michigan aircraft, there is a industrial hygeine concern and I would not let my guys go in there until I have determined that the mud that permeates the place is indeed just mud or perhaps is more nefarious with effluent from some unknown sort. We have received some damage in that area, but I do not think through an initial inspection that it is irreparable. As today, is the first day with power and computers, I wanted to take a break and get this message out.. I can not thank enough my new friends at WIX for their continued thought provoking imput into an area that concerns all of us, namely the preservation of naval aviation for future generations. A special thank you to the good Colonel, and Owen. These two have hopefully opened the door to an area that needs to be opened... I will keep you posted as to the possibility of having the meeting. It is my intention to do so, I just have to change logistics as far as hotels, halls, bars, is concerned... Respectfully, Macon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:16 pm 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

Thanks for the update and I hope everything will be back to "normal" as soon as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:46 pm 
S/N Geek

Thank-you very much for the post.

Regards,

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:03 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Thank you for the update and good luck with the clean up.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:08 pm 
WIX Motor Pool Officer

Thank you very much sir. It's nice of you to take the time to update us on whats going on there "from the trenches" as it were. I look forward to more good news in the future.

We attack at dawn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:47 am 

As everyone has stated thank you for taking the time to post the status and provide some details. Many of us were trying to get info from the papers and even the Sat shot showing the Museum.

First let me state how glad I am that the museum escaped most of what had befallen the rest of the base and that it received less damage then it could have. Hats off to the plan and obvious efforts of the staff to protect everything as best as possible.

Is there a short list of aircraft in the static park that were damaged? We have been speculating and it would be nice to know what the real result of Ivan "the terrible" was (it looks like a few aircraft had wing spearations and the Privateer which lost its engine).

Again thank you for taking the time to post when you must be so busy bringing things back to some kind of normal.

Dave C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:34 am 

Thank you Macon for the detailed report! As you know, all of us that love warbirds were VERY worried about your museum and the priceless aircraft and artifact treasures that it contains. It was great to hear from you about the museum's survival with relatively light damage.

With kind regards, Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:26 pm 

The post is greatly apreciated!
Regards,
Don Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:35 pm 

welcome to WIX sir and I certainly hope to see regular input from you. the news of how little damage has actually happened at pensacola, compared to what was possible, was a great relief and shows that forethought and planning can accomplish a lot