Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:03 am

To make the picture presentation of all surviving P-35A in the world complete, here are some pix of Kermit Weeks P-35A taken in fall of 2005.

The size of the big Swedish Air Force roundell under the wings still clearly visible.

Horizontal stabilizer in jigg.

This airplane took some punches from hurricane Andrew in august 1992. On the floor is the rudder, the only part of the airplane completely destroyed.

Last flown in summer of 1950 when the Commander in Chief of the Swedish Air Force at the time, Bengt G:son Nordenskiöld, made a succesfull emergency landing at the F 9 Air Force base in Gothenburg, Sweden. But that's another story.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:29 am

I take it that the damage to the P-35 is Hurricane Andrew damage?

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:40 am

Be still my beating heart! This project sounds to be one heckuva job, but good luck!

Now if only some company with the means like Flug Werk would come along and start creating new builds of the P-35, P-43, P-36, and so on.

So us regular 'Joes' can maybe afford one, and build one in our garages! :D

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:01 am

Dan Jones wrote:I take it that the damage to the P-35 is Hurricane Andrew damage?

The damage did happen as a result of Hurricane Andrew. Kermit acquired the P35 during a trade to the USAF Museum for a Grumman Duck.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:13 am

Wouldn't it be neat to sneak in a second seat behind the pilot ? You could just crawl in through that large access door. 8)
Come to think of it, I may have to be a "stow away" If Kermit ever gets it up and flying.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:25 am

The P-35A (or "J 9" as this version was called in the Swedish Air Force) do have a jump seat in the back! The access door also have a large window.

Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:08 am

vcs1,

Does your company have a web site?

Mac

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:41 am

I thought the MNANG Museum in Minneapolis restored one? Great-looking airplane. One of the reasons I chose to build a FlyBaby is that its tail has that Seversky look. Silly, I know, but...

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:48 am

skydaddy61 wrote:I thought the MNANG Museum in Minneapolis restored one? Great-looking airplane. One of the reasons I chose to build a FlyBaby is that its tail has that Seversky look. Silly, I know, but...

That's right. Chuck Doyle had something to do with finding that airplane. It was even featured on the cover of an old 1970's issue of Air Classics which is here in the archives somewhere.

(And FlyBabys are great little airplanes!)

Dan

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:43 pm

As far as I know the Chuck Doyle airplane is the P-35 (not a P-35A!) now on display in Dayton. Kermits J 9 was still on display there in 1979, so the P-35 must have popped up later in the 80's.

Kermit Weeks J-9 P-35A

Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:07 am

I am one of the mechanics working on the restoration of Kermit's P-35A { J-9] . The vertical fin and both horizontal stabilizers have been completely rebuilt including the replacement of all the old skins, this will be a polished aircraft. The rivets on these components were originally put together using 115 degree counter sunk rivets which we had reproduced to keep the restoration authentic. We will soon begin the rebuilding of the wing panels.

Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:14 am

Thanks for the info stetz & if nobody has already said it...Welcome to WIX.

Got an photos? :oops:

Mac

Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:41 am

Oh yeah Stetz! Welcome!

Finally, we have an inside man with Mr. Weeks! :wink: Now we can find out all the skinny!

Actually, I was wondering, how much would it take to get the B-26 in flying condition? And not just ferriable condition I mean. The works!

Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:51 am

Wow, a P-35A! :D

Now you got my attention! :lol:

Is it going to be a flyer?! :shock: :heart:

Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:06 am

The Air Force Museum's P-35 (USAAC 36-404) appears on the cover of the Nov 1975 issue of Air Classics. This (according to the article) is the airplane that Chuck Doyle found in a Minneapolis vocational school in the fifties and was restored by the 133rd TAW of the Minnesota ANG in the early 1970's. Seversky himself inspected it in June 1974 when it was finished. This is the airplane on display in Dayton now.
Post a reply