Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:00 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Also double posted in the RetroAviation section....my bad....

Visiting the Gannanoque PBY ghost......

Talk about timing.......ON my way back from Toronto to Montreal with the kids this summer.

I wanted to see this bird again (last visit was 16 years ago) so we did a quick turn around and ho and behold, she (yes it's a she) is outside for the first time in a long time getting cleaned and waxed.

On top of that the owner is there and shares his story with us........and let my kids inside!!!!!! An AMAZING individual.

NO it is not for sale.

First the plane was never a SAAR's aircraft. It was rebuilt as a cargo variant for the Canadian air force. So as such it has a lot of unique internal modifications done to it for that duty which I have never seen before since this was the first time I ever got so close to it.

To say that this is bird is well preserved would be an UNDERSTATEMENT...........It's all there and original........

How often do you get to manually retract the floats from the original wing pod flight engineer station....... :supz: :drink3: :supz:

Now I understand why the Navy feel in love with the PBY....all logistic and controls are built like a boat. The pilot does his job but any critical engine and AC commands are relayed to the flight engineer station the good old way. From the captain's deck to the engine room.

The only parts in sad condition where the rubber de-icing booths...the rest is ALL there with the original autopilot controls.

Sadly, I ran out of batteries on my cam before taking all the pics I wanted....Enjoy.

Flight engineer station

And the happiest girl on the block. He took the time to explain to her the contribution of women to the war effort and how they built the planes......It was funny because he told her she was welcomed back anytime. He really made my daughter feel special that day.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:18 am 

Great pics, thanks for sharing.... The PBY is one of my favorites

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:24 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

That is interesting Michael as it was reported she had been sold to an owner in the states.. Thanks for sharing the picture's, she looks in excellent shape!

________

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:43 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

She sure looks good! Does he still run up the engines on occasion?

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:24 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The only items separating this and PBY perfection would be the side blisters and a nose turret instead of the clipper bow. Otherwise -- wow! Especially the flight engineer's station. Definitely not for the claustrophobic. It makes the radio room in a TBM look like a three bedroom condominium by comparison.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

As always from the great Mr Leeuw site!!!!!! Thank for all the great shared experiences.....

Quote:
The c/n is CV-435 and the owner is David T. Dorosh.
Its serial, when operated by the RCAF, was 11093.

http://www.ruudleeuw.com/uscan09.htm

It is not a Consolidated built bird. It was built by Vicker Canada

The owner told me it was only ran twice since it landed permenently many moons ago.

What makes this bird unique are the cargo mod's done in 55.

Peter, so far as the owner told me....still his and will go into his succession. Yes he had many offers through the years.....but none good enough to part with it. He seemed to be a great down to earth gent who has his priorities straight. Sorry....that is the best I can offer.

I will post soon some pic of the Canso in St Hubert QC....just to compare.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:43 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Wonder why he doesnt run her up?

________

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:59 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Good question Peter.....

He is an elderly gent and I think for him it is more a question of souvenir / remembering.

It's like an old car / hangar queen....it's what keeps you happy as it is.

It is as alive for him when he sit's in the cockpit static as if it was ground run or flying.

I only wish I get to experience one day what it is to own a gem like he has.......to each his own choice of how you preserve history.

Just glad it is still around and I got a unique chance to meet him and he got to let me in on his passion..........

P.S. not counting the cost or potential liability to do it also.....he told me the fuel tanks are well preserved and inhibited....So it should not be that hard to do it if you wanted it!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:01 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for cool pics. PBY fan here too thanks to my uncle who was an 80s crewmember on the one Gary saved.