Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:52 pm 

ID the one in the forground. Post your best guess and we'll see who gets it first. The winner gets a smily face.

Good Luck
Curtis Block

Last edited by Curtis Block on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:17 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

A5M

Last edited by Paul Krumrei on Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: IDENTIFICATION
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:19 pm 

Mitsubishi A5M :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:26 pm 

Editing out wrong answers is very sneaky. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:30 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The one in the background is a Zero, the one in the foreground is a Nate.
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:34 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

bipe215 wrote:
Editing out wrong answers is very sneaky. :lol:

LOL!!!!!!

I was waiting for someone to pipe up about it. Hey, it's late :) My eyes kept telling my wildcat, but my brain was going, Japanize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:58 pm 

I'll post the correct answer tomarrow, along with more pictures and an explanation of where they were taken. Untill then keeep posting your guess. If you get board, check out the pictures I posted in "dumping and burrying 'stuff' after WWII."

Curtis Block

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:11 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Yep..it's and A5M "Claude" (the "Nate" was the Army's Ki-27) Man, somebody needs to recover that one, I thought the type was extinct!

SN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:56 pm 
a.k.a. TBDude

Thanks to Paul, aviosaurus, and Steve we know what it is (A5M "Claude")

As for where... it's in the No. 2 cargo hold of the sunken freighter Fujikama Maru on the bottom of Truk (now Chuuk) lagoon, Federated States of Micronesia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:13 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Wow, an A5M...

One would have to be exceedingly careful with this, coming as it would be from a salt lagoon. Assuming a successful recovery and conservation could happen, though, here is a prime candidate for "cloning". From what I have heard, the A5M was an extraordinarily fine-handling fighter (as was its Army contemporary, the Ki27). Recover and conserve this A5M; place her on show in a museum (in Japan, probably); but along the way, reverse-engineer half a dozen copies. I can picture any one of a good number of experienced Warbird pilots, some of whom frequent WIX, performing sublime aerobatic routines in such a sweet ship...

(Nathan--there's one of your prewar/early-war classics back from extinction, kinda...)

S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:23 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I'd like to know how they ended up on top of each other...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:30 pm 

Ship may have turned over as it sank, with its cargo tumbling all about.

Cheers,
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:38 pm 

Well the cat’s out of the bag. I see you guys have been busy when I was at work. Paul, Aviosaurus and Steve all get a :D :D :D . TBDude (though I think he has inside information) gets extra points for knowing where it is.

The aircraft is a Mitsubishi A5M4 “Claude.” As TBDude wrote the aircraft is in the #2 hold of the Fugikawa Maru (not Fujikama, but close enough) sunk in Truk Lagoon, Feb. 18 1944, during operation Hailstone. These pictures were taken by Bill Jeffery, on a series of dives we did to survey this site for the Chuuk Historic Preservation Office.

When I first saw a picture of this aircraft it was from a similar angle. I almost choked when I saw it. When I asked what it was however I was told it was a Zero, like the other three aircraft in the hold. After a bit of arguing and persuading however, it was decided to mount a dive to test my impossible theory that the aircraft was a “Claude”(honestly I had a hard time believing it myself, but that was no Zero).

We conducted about three dives on the wreck which lies in about 90’ of water, which can give you a good amount of bottom time if you can stop hyperventilating from excitement. By the end of the third dive I had finally convinced myself that the aircraft was in fact a “Claude.” It is the only example of its type I know to exist. We had also managed to document five more Zeros in the hold, bringing the numbers up from four Zeros, to eight Zeros and one A5M4.

Now the question I pose to you is what is an aircraft that was considered obsolete in 1941, doing in the hold of a ship on the front lines in 1944? A little information that may be important is that no as far as I could tell had an engine or armament mounted.

Now more pictures.
Enjoy,
Curtis Block

P.S.
The stick is 3 meters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:59 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Great pics!

Unfortunately, as Nathan says, it appears too incomplete and badly corroded to be a candidate for restoration. Still, it'd be great to see it conserved before it completely disintegrates.

SN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Great!

A fascinating discovery Curtis; and well spotted that it was a Claude. From your later posts I can understand why it was a surprise when it 'should have been a Zero'.

When we published our book on the Claude, AFAIK, there were no survivors.

It would be great to see this recovered and either conserved or restored, but looking at the holes in the fuselage and lower tail, I don't think it would even get to the surface without crumbling like charred paper, let alone stand the hose down and desalination that would be required. What do you think, having been close to it?

Even these underwater shots would have been great in our book, as without a survivor, we are stuck for detailed colour.

http://mmpbooks.biz/books/8391717801/8391717801p.htm

Thanks a lot for sharing. That's a winner. Seeing one (or more) fly would be very cool. Like the Sopwith Pup, it's a type that would clearly be a fun aerobat as well as a historic fighter.

Regards,

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com