Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:16 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I love it, our educated mainstream media's at it again: Look at this quote from the LA Times Saturday about the Miramar Crash:

"...had small jet engines in the wingtips to help produce smoke to make the performance more dramatic."

If I'm not mistaken, smoke generators on airshow aircraft are not jet engines but are...um smoke generating devices right? Can someone please verify for me? I often write the readers rep when I see ridiculous statements like this about aircraft. I'm pretty sure about this but not 100 percent sure.

John

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:02 am 

Morning Spider Man,
the news paper here said that the pilot was injured and in the hospital, but I had gotten a call from our local Corsair Pilot that was at the show and said that the pilot had past on due to the nature of the ground striking the aircraft. The Small Jet Engines oops...!!! writer's error....Smoke Generators where on, and they might have helped him if they had a little more power ..They are funny and you can not believe everything you see and hear. Have fun, and Rancho Grande is still the Best Mexican Food East of the Border..!!! Chili Colorado.
:partyman:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:16 am 

as I understand a few of the smoke generators are basically a chemical injected into the later stages of the engine where it burns and produces, yep you guessed it, smoke.

the other ones from what I have been told are sort of like an attached electrically controlled mini furnace where the chemical hits an heated element and guess what? smoke again!

I might be wildly off for how things are done these days but that is what I have been told. my apologies if I am wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:24 am 

I know that one of many things that the late,Great Mr.Frank Sanders brought to the aviation world were his smoke generators he called "Smokewinders"does anyone know how these worked? :shock:
Tim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Can't really blame the newsmedia on this one, rereading the article I now realize it's quoting the air show website....But still you would think the airshow website would know better.

John

Post subject: smoke generators
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:35 pm 
http://courtesyaircraft.com/Parts%20and ... 20List.htm

We have some for sale

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:36 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

agent86 wrote:
"Smokewinders"does anyone know how these worked?
As I recall, they have a small burner can and are lit by a spark plug. I think any thrust is negligible.