Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:24 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Last year, about this time- we had the exhaust stacks modified (with DER approval) to divert before they hit the turbo cases.
We were not using the turbos. The innards had been removed years ago.
The build-up of heat inside the shells was causing hot-spots and the cases were cracking.
That could lead to hot exhaust gasses leaving the system in strange and dangerous places, so it was decided to go with open pipes.

Some have noticed that TEXAS RAIDERS now has a distinctively BOLD exhaust note on fly-bys. Kinda like a muscle car with burned out glass-packs! :lol:

Probably a Beach Boys song hiding in there somewhere-
"You can save your dimes until you have plenty... Bomb-Bity, Bomb-Bity 1820
All's I want is my 1820.
Well we always take my bomber cause it's never been beat... "

Would you look at the time? Gotta go move some airplanes and get to my day job. :roll:

SPANNER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:40 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Wow- TEXAS RAIDERS and the other members of the B-17 Co-Op are famous.
We made it into this month's Smithsonian Air and Space Magazine.
http://www.airspacemag.com/military-avi ... c=y&page=1

The lovely picture of TEXAS RAIDERS at the Chanute Air Museum (Rantoul, Illinois) with the line of people ready to tour it is by BomberFlight (Peter Green.) Thanks Pedro and Congrats on getting your stuff published in THE BIG LEAGUES! 8)

The interview was actually over the phone about two years ago and it is complete with factual errors. I think McNally was writing while he was listeneing and heard as far as "Wing Spars" and did not hear "Attachment points."
But what the hey. We could not have bought that kind of advertising for our most worthy cause of Flying them, Exhibiting Them and Remembering the Vets.

SPANNER

PS- As a true sign of humility I only bought three copies at the news-stand instead of buying them out! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:17 am 

Thanks Don !

And this is the very picture ~

If you tour with it ...... they will come :D

Peter

Consolidated by US state ~ see if there's a heavy bomber tour stop coming to an airport near you ...... http://www.bomberflight.info

Warbirdapps on facebook ~ every day a new image from my personal journey thru the world of warbirds ..... https://www.facebook.com/Warbirdapps

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:41 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Attention Fence Spotters and B-17 fans in the Spring, Tomball, north Houston area...

Providing the weather cooperates there are going to be crew re-qualifying flights of TEXAS RAIDERS tomorrow- Feb. 28th.

Look it's a bird, It's Superman, It's a Flying Fortress! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:28 pm 

I got to meet up with some of the fine folks at the Gulf Coast Wing today. TR was out training when I got there, but after about an hour of BS'ing with the guys that were there, she finally landed. What a great airplane and a greatt bunch of people.

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

b17engineer wrote:
I got to meet up with some of the fine folks at the Gulf Coast Wing today. TR was out training when I got there, but after about an hour of BS'ing with the guys that were there, she finally landed. What a great airplane and a greatt bunch of people.

Rick

THANKS RICK- sorry I missed you, but I was off working my day job! :(

The exciting news- (Drum roll please.)
TEXAS RAIDERS is going to be at the Jasper, Tx Airshow this weekend- March 17-18, 2012.
There have been some heroic efforts by the Maintenance Team to get the main tires changed, but it looks like everything is good to go.

Last year a privately owned P-51 made it (piloted by Col. Stan Musick) and there was a late appearance by a Kermit the french green Aeronca Champ.

So it is a cool smaller arishow.

Bombs Away,

SPANNER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:41 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Looking forward to seeing you guys May 19 in Hondo by the Sea!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:09 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Obergrafeter wrote:
Hondo by the Sea!!

Ahhh yes, the emerald waves of the Mesquite Sea where the javelinafish frolic. They're fun on light tackle and 50# test line, but the real fun begins if you finally get one in the boat! :lol:

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:52 pm 

Just a note of congrats to all you hard-workin' folks in the Gulf Coast Wing...BOTH covers AND articles in Warbirds International and FlyPast on Texas Raiders! :supz:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:33 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks SAR Pilot.
It took four attempts (because of weather) for Phil to get those beautiful shots.
And it is nice seeing TR back on the magazine covers instead of OPBs.

:lol:

Our next mission is TORA practice on April 14-15th. It is at Conroe (CXO) again this year.

SPANNER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:56 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

TEXAS RAIDERS is on it's way to Dyess AFB in scenic :lol: Abilene, Texas.

Y'all stop by now... ya hear?
(Although I won't be with the bomber this trip- got a trip to Old Kingsbury and San Marcos flight planned... So many events- so little time.)

Have a great weekend.

SPANNER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

According to Flightaware TR is on the ground at Dyess.

And just got this regarding last weekend's West Houston Squadron Open House... SPANNER

Last weekend we had a mid 90’s, WWII, B-17 Navigator tour Texas Raiders. Slowly and carefully he came up the ladder and into the nose of the B-17. He saw the perfectly restored area where he worked as a scared and courageous boy. Beverly Brown helped him up to the flight deck. She got help from Rick Baker to help him through the bomb bay and into the radio room. Rick helped him around the ball turret and out to the waist exit. Riley Purnell and Jeff Brown helped him out of the waist and into his wheelchair.

The Navigator appreciated the fact that his boyhood efforts were not forgotten. Riley and I shared a tear as we saw the gratitude and giant smiles from three generations of Americans walking away from TR. This is a Priceless Reward! This was a real heartfelt thanks to each and every member of the Gulf Coast Wing and the CAF.

Thanks,
George Doland

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:11 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

TEXAS RAIDERS loves Hondo, Tx. because Hondo, Texas loves TEXAS RAIDERS

They have been known to have a parade for us! :D

TR will be at Hondo from Friday May 18th through Sunday the 20th in observance of Armed Forces Day. :supz:

It is what we are about- it is what we do!

Rides will be available and fence-spotters will not be disappointed.

SPANNER

PS - Moosejaw Belle is likely to make a cameo appearance. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:03 pm 

What's the latest on coming to Dayton in August?

Volunteer: National Museum of the US Air Force (2007-2016)
LTM 381st Bomb Group Memorial Association

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:16 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

SPANNERmkV wrote:
Rides will be available and fence-spotters will not be disappointed.

But if you want to pay and come on in we would appreciate it. Five whole American dollars, but if you wish to contribute more we will gladly take it with a big Thank You!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63  Next