Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:08 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Jeffrey wrote:
I can't remember the name of the guy but I believe many years ago there was some-one who treated airframes as things to be just cut and shut and was making some you-beaut- new aircraft based on an old japanese one with add on bits or something. careful or you might be labeled as similarly crazy if you actually did things like this.
Some Canuck probably. Was that you Ollie? :axe:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
well as long as you realise also might limit the number of people who would buy what they'd see as a "ruined" airframe when you are finished with it.

I suppose the ex-MOF Zero with the R-1830, P-47's w/o working turbocharger, B-17's w/ non-operating bombshackles, A-26 w/ extra window in the back, modern electrical systems, t/w instead of skids, pilots w/o original uniforms, engines w/modern spark plugs, airframe w/ new skins, newer tires, every warplane w/o original radios, w/o gunsights, and w/o working machine guns are all ruined?

Supposedly, if someone wanted all these goodies or junk (depanding on how you look at it) in the plane they could go ahead and put them in at a later time. Even the uniforms..

Quote:
t is like a vehicle type we have on the roads here. there are certain things which are designed into vehicles for a reason, such as the "crumple" zones to ensure survivability in even of an accident

This is what IA mechanics, AC-43-13, and for hire aerospace engineers are for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:24 pm 

Welding a Hurricane's tubes together is rather more permanent than a Zero with an 1830, or a P-47 with an inop turbo. Also, would it really be that much cheaper to do all the strength and fatigue analysis to support a welded frame rather than just creating the tooling to do the job properly(or paying the experts to do it for you)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:39 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
Welding a Hurricane's tubes together is rather more permanent than a Zero with an 1830, or a P-47 with an inop turbo. Also, would it really be that much cheaper to do all the strength and fatigue analysis to support a welded frame rather than just creating the tooling to do the job properly(or paying the experts to do it for you)?

Good question, I suppose that would be up to the guy doing the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:11 pm 
Maker of Spiffy models

bdk, you fool!

It was Bob Diemert!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:12 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Bob Diemert is a Canuck right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:18 pm 
Maker of Spiffy models

Yes, from Manitoba he is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:20 pm 

Ollie wrote:

Are you about 1m tall and green now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:24 pm 

HarvardIV wrote:
I suppose the ex-MOF Zero with the R-1830, P-47's w/o working turbocharger, B-17's w/ non-operating bombshackles, A-26 w/ extra window in the back, modern electrical systems, t/w instead of skids, pilots w/o original uniforms, engines w/modern spark plugs, airframe w/ new skins, newer tires, every warplane w/o original radios, w/o gunsights, and w/o working machine guns are all ruined?

are any of them major structural or design changes? the only one I can see which might be, if the window is big enough, close to that would be the A26 you mentioned.

as for changing from the joints to welded then by welding the original airframe sections together you are making it virtually impossible to ever return them to the same configuration as they were. a permanent and irreversible change which I am certain at least some people would view as undesirable.

HarvardIV wrote:
Supposedly, if someone wanted all these goodies or junk (depanding on how you look at it) in the plane they could go ahead and put them in at a later time. Even the uniforms..

Exactly. to remove the welds and replace with the joints would be next to completely impossible if you wanted to return it to anything more than a static display without complete replacement of almost every component and airframe section.

I realise that in some this is basically done and easily done now but not with hurricanes. In this case considering the amount and degree of difference and testing and analysis and definately expense you'd be going through I reckon a complete new made airframe would be better, quicker, cheaper and easier with a data plate screwed onto it. so why bother even getting the old aiframe at all except for the data plate. why not save it for a museum if going to "adapt" it to that degree.

Quote:
t is like a vehicle type we have on the roads here. there are certain things which are designed into vehicles for a reason, such as the "crumple" zones to ensure survivability in even of an accident

This is what IA mechanics, AC-43-13, and for hire aerospace engineers are for.

yep and how complete new built replications ( although in this case using an original airframe as a source of basic tubing and castings etc ) come about possibly.

sorry but if you treated an airframe like that then to me it is simply a new plane built with old materials.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:33 pm 

Ollie wrote:
bdk, you fool!

It was Bob Diemert!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

if he's the guy that was using something like a val or judy to make a new military aircraft named the avenger or vinidicator or something similar then he might be the guy I am thinking of, also had a firefly and a few other things as well which when properly examined caused some interesting expressions of disbelief.

had done things like , from a very vague memory, installed a york motor package on the firefly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:55 pm 
Maker of Spiffy models

dj51d wrote:
Ollie wrote:

Are you about 1m tall and green now?

What the ??????

:roll: :?: :roll:

Jeffrey, Diemert is the man. He rebuilt the CAF's Zero. I remember seeing a very interesting documentary about him on CBC a while back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:03 am 

I don't doubt the stories of Diemert, I've heard a few of them myself. The manner you chose to say it in, however reminded me of a certain 1m tall wrinkley green puppet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:23 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hey Jeffrey:
Quote:
Exactly. to remove the welds and replace with the joints would be next to completely impossible if you wanted to return it to anything more than a static display without complete replacement of almost every component and airframe section.

How so? You would've had to do that in the first restoration anyway. Why not do it w/ welds, and let somebody else waste 20 years on the silly little frame splices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:24 am 

dj51d wrote:
I don't doubt the stories of Diemert, I've heard a few of them myself. The manner you chose to say it in, however reminded me of a certain 1m tall wrinkley green puppet.

right up till the wrinkley bit and rereading that for some reason I kept thinking of kermit the french. How the mighty would have fallen for Yoda to be relegated to the likes of kermit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:37 am 

HarvardIV wrote:
Hey Jeffrey:
Quote:

How so? You would've had to do that in the first restoration anyway. Why not do it w/ welds, and let somebody else waste 20 years on the silly little frame splices.

so there is no old material left in your T6? think about it. you weld those tubes now and because of the metal removal and such in removing the welds for the next "restoration" every single one of those tubes will probably have to be replaced unless the bird is grounded. I realise that an extremely large percentage of the airframe gets replaced in a crash rebuild anyway, it has to be because of stress, fractures, impact points, tension and torsional effects. What I am saying is that by welding the new materials you are removing further another link with the past and modifying a design to the point where to my mind it is no more than an external look alike with a data plate.

would you buy a flying bird only to know that should you have to do a full restoration on it at some stage you'll have to replace every airframe component from the skins in because of how the previous owner had "restored" ( more like rebuilt in this case ) it? I wouldn't, I'd go genuine. if nothing else you certainly haven't ruled out the higher grades of museum for it's final resting place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next