Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: My wife's L5 is home...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:48 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

We finally got it moved down into the hangar yesterday. It flew excellent, not a bit of trouble with 50 hours on the engine, side slips great, and bit my back when I was ready to close up the hangar- I had to duck down under the wing struts and one of the screws caught me and put a three inch gash on my back! My wife said I should have given it a hug like I did last time I saw it (after not seeing it for almost a year). I'll get photos of it tomorrow- clouds, rain, and real work today. I'm planning an open house at the hangar on Saturday November 13th if anybody is interested in coming out to visit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:01 am 

was probably it's way of saying " how dare you leave me somewhere away from home for so long! "

Post subject: L5 Tails
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:00 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Great day at Forgotten Field. I was at the hangar today, and a friend came by- he is restoring a Lambert-powered '39 Monocoupe. So we went through the parts pile, poked at the turret, and had a great "discussion" about airplanes. As we hung around, all the rest of the field came by to look at the airplane when I pulled it out, including the guy who will be transitioning me. I have to shamefully admit that I was completely worthless. I didn't get any of the hangar cleaned, and didn't get it any more organized. Every time I started, I turned around and there she was- I was so distracted. I feel like a kid again, just got my first bicycle and waiting to ride it...

Rob, I'll bring it up to Geneseo only if you promise to take a ride with me and if family committments don't get in the way. Jeffrey- I think you're right. She was punishing me for not chasing clouds. So I gave her two hugs today. Enjoy the photos of N3706C, the Queen of Forgotten Field!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:55 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

One thing that you are going to have to definately learn to do with an L-5 is to really plop it on with enough force to spread the gear. If you try to grease it on gently, you'll end up with one gear splayed out and running on the outside edge of the tire on the other......makes for a really intersting landing.

We built a really nice training aide for transitioning to the -5 for a couple of clients. Took a piece of 1/8" cable and crimped and soldered a couple of electrical lugs to it. Ran it between the upper shock strut bolts with the length set at what the gear spread was sitting static on the ground. What it does is keep the gear spread so that you don't have to worry about doing the wheel edge dance for the first few landings while you are learning the sight picture. When you have a couple of dozen landings under your belt and feel more confident then take the wire off. Works well for te people that have used it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:58 am 

Very Nice L-5!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:14 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

FF, can I use the pics for the Registry and do you know the serial number of this A/C?

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject: L5 Woes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:17 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I go "Wo" every time I see it! Thanks for the comment Paul. Scott- I submitted information to you through your update system on the registry, and heard nothing. You are welcome to use the photos as long as you credit them to me and the website http://www.astory.com/aircraft. Let me know if you don't find the information, and I'll PM you with all the details. Current FAA database info is correct on the aircraft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:22 pm 

Did you buy this L-5 within the last couple of years? And did you buy it from a guy in Easton, Pa? Just curious. :D

btw...I'm a sucker for L-5's. If I can ever find a nice one for sale, I might own one, but for now "I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

Post subject: L5 History
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:23 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

We bought it last year from a guy in Northeast PA, who had been a co-owner and then took over the project. He spent about 5 years getting it done. He did a really nice job.

cvairwerks, like the idea- makes sense- but where do you hang it on the struts? Do you put it on the ends of the bolts between the oleos and struts, or put it somewhere else? I looked the other day and couldn't figure out where to put it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:43 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It attaches via the bolts between the upper end of the gear leg and the shock strut. I don't remember if we ran them just under the bolt head, forward of everything or on the aft side under the nut. The idea is that it keeps the gear in the same position in the air as when the a/c is sitting static on the ground. I'll see if one of the guys still has one laying around the hangar this weekend.

Post subject: Re: L5 Woes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:27 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Forgotten Field wrote:
Scott- I submitted information to you through your update system on the registry, and heard nothing. You are welcome to use the photos as long as you credit them to me and the website http://www.astory.com/aircraft. Let me know if you don't find the information, and I'll PM you with all the details. Current FAA database info is correct on the aircraft.

Sorry about that FF, I do have a backlog of information to go through and the move didn't help that situation at all. I will see if I can find the mail you sent and if not I'll let you know.

TO ALL OTHERS: If you sent me stuff and I have not responded I am not ignoring you. Between my shift change and moving I have not been able to spend as much time on the site as I would like and I will get to your e-mail ASAP. Thanks for understanding.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ