Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:19 pm 

I have lurked this site for a while, but just registered now. I monitored the condition of this acft while on business trips to Beijing from the mid 80's until the mid 90's, including a few private tours by the museum director. It is indeed in poor shape, but it appears to be 100% complete. Somewhere in my files I have photos from the gear bays and from in the cockpit. You can see daylight through many rivet holes and skin laps. I will try and locate them and post if possible. The P47 was (is) in much worse shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:17 pm 

So, it's actually the paint that keeps the airframe together. At least they have a lot to start with.

Cees

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:29 pm 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

Great News!

Thanks Mr. Allen (if you are out there!)

I'm glad it is saved from sliding further into destruction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

YES!! THANK YOU MR ALLEN!! the 419th FS "Black Widows" is part of the 388th FW here in Utah and they were one of the original units to fly the P-61 so I am very excited to hear this.

Does anyone know the condition of the other P-61 being restored? I forget the group that was working on it.

Tom P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:55 pm 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

Mid Altantic Air Museum?

If that is the one, slow and steady.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:14 pm 

Does anyone know how the Beijing museum came to have the P-61, P-47's, and P-51?

Post subject: Museum collection
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:17 pm 

I wonder if there are other warbirds in China museums or collections that could someday find there way back to the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:35 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

DanteC wrote:
Does anyone know how the Beijing museum came to have the P-61, P-47's, and P-51?

All those types were serving in China by wars end, it was 'suggested' they leave them behind when the USAAF pulled out, story I read somewhere was that they were forced to when it came to the P-61s.
Supposed to be a couple of B-25s on display at a local museum in the sixties, but since disappeared.

Dave

Post subject: P61 News
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:27 pm 

Great to hear that the China airframe was saved.

Here are two pictures I took of the NASM P-61 back in about 1995 or 1996. Was kinda hard to get a picture of it at the Garber facility! Cant hardly wait to see this one moved to the new museum... in current condition or restored!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

according to the NASM's website, the P-61 is not supposed to be placed inside the new building. Does that mean it is destined to be in storage forever?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:15 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Pat

The move is due to happen over several stages, the list only covers those to move in the next couple of years or so, so hopefully it will be on display in our lifetime !
Be great to see the P-61 lined up beside the He 219 and the Irving , a unique study in different approaches to night fighter designs.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:40 pm 

DaveM2 wrote:
DanteC wrote:

All those types were serving in China by wars end, it was 'suggested' they leave them behind when the USAAF pulled out, story I read somewhere was that they were forced to when it came to the P-61s.
Supposed to be a couple of B-25s on display at a local museum in the sixties, but since disappeared.

Dave

Thanks, that's what I thought I had read as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:27 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

B-29 Super Fort asked...
Quote:
I wonder if there are other warbirds in China museums or collections that could someday find there way back to the US.

All 4 editions of the Warbirds Directory make reference to a B-24D Liberator, that once belonged to the Premier, reported to be at a Northern Chinese Air Base. The info is Dated 89-90 with an attempted purchase by Western Collectors in 1990...
I have not seen any other reference to this aircraft, but maybe the magic of the WIX can shed some light on it....
Anyone have access to satillite photos of Northern China? Could they be purchased from that French website????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:05 am 

I believe that B-24 might be the one that was very close to being acquired by an Australian who would have restored it back to airworthy condition. The time period is probably about right and it was certainly a Chinese aircraft that had significant connections to a fairly high ranking person. I know very little about why the deal went pear-shaped however it is a real shame since it would have been going to a fantastic home.

Cheers,
Matt

Warbirdnerd wrote:
B-29 Super Fort asked...
Quote:

All 4 editions of the Warbirds Directory make reference to a B-24D Liberator, that once belonged to the Premier, reported to be at a Northern Chinese Air Base. The info is Dated 89-90 with an attempted purchase by Western Collectors in 1990...
I have not seen any other reference to this aircraft, but maybe the magic of the WIX can shed some light on it....
Anyone have access to satillite photos of Northern China? Could they be purchased from that French website????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:15 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Matt

Heard that as well, anyone you know in the Oz fraternity that ever saw a picture of it ?

Dave

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next