Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:54 am 

Hi all

Yes the Havoc is still at Amberly and will remain in Australia until a good building is constructed to house it and other treasures in PNG. I hope to photograph her tomorrow.

I think some of the Parts from remaining Havocs have made their way overseas for projects in the US and UK but the vast majority is still going to Wang in return for work on the museum P40 and other tasks.

There are potentially 4 havocs that could come from this - the most significant being the famous "Big Nig"

The Name of the RAAF Boston is "Jessica" and the Havoc is "Hell N' Pelican"

Regards
John P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:45 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It's probably best to find an operational facility for "Big Nig" in Australia. :lol:

If you think the Enola Gay can stir up controversy, just try flying "Big Nig" around the air show circuit in the United States! The NAACP and the ACLU would make a national stink unlike any we've seen in the warbird community, regardless of the historical originality, or the true meaning behind the plane's namesake.

Sorry, it had to be said. :P Talk about a pink elephant :D

http://www.robmears.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:53 pm 

What type of engine will they use for the Ki-61's? The DB601 is a rare beast but the Japanese copy is ever more rare and also has a very bad reputation for reliablity in service (or lack of it).

Cheers

Cees

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:44 pm 

Rob,

I think you are absolutely correct. The NAACP at least would be all over that like a robin on a junebug. Jesse Jackson and his Rainbow Coalition would probably join in the fray.

I can imagine them picketing every airshow in the country where this plane appeared. Best to keep it in a location where it can be appreciated without all the negative conotations associated with its name.

Walt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:52 pm 

Already said many times but great info, great news and great photos.

At last something else than Mustangs and Spitfires !! Can't wait to see a Kingfisher or Ki-61 in flight.

Could the restoration of several Ki-61's be seen as a well deserved increase in the interest of Japanese aircraft restorations ?

If yes, let's dream :

- Go to Ballalae and recover those Betty's that will otherwise be too far gone before long.

- Same for the Ballalae Irving.

- Let's tour the Shortlands and recover the several FM2 Pete wrecks around.

- Go to Babo and Ransiki and save what's left before everything is scrapped by Shell.

Bad for our childhood dreams (at leat mine) to go there one day and be able to see them in situ. but i think we have to be realistic : if nothing is done pretty soon, it will definitely be too late.

Laurent