Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:09 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I spent many happy hours at the Champlin Fighter Museum and always hoped that one day I would walk in and see the P-38M all dressed in black. Totally bummed when they converted it back into an L model. Now I am hoping that somebody (Collings?) will offer to trade the MoF for the M and reunite her with the second seat which is still extent with the CAF.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:15 pm 

Agree, would be sexy as the Levitz Lightning in NM......but accurate.
http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p38regis ... 27053.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:18 pm 

Especially if a radar pod could be found or mocked up. geek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:14 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Happy days. Squeezed in behind Frank Strickler .

PeterA

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This P-38 was an "L", but one of three converted in a proof of concept to an "M", if my memory serves. It belonged to John Stokes in San Marcos. John was the 4th private owner, but N4JS was not available, so he kept if registered as N3JS (JS also being the initials of the third owner). When we were wanting to build a hump for a second seat during the restoration of SBK II, I suggested going to Champlin and taking photos of the structure so that we might fabricate one. Sandy Sansing was going to be in the area for one of his USAF Squadron reunions, so he volunteered to try to take photos. When he went there, and told him what we wanted to do, they suggested a trade, our stock back for their hump. They said they got a lot of flack as no ace ever flew the humpback version. The trade was made, we each crated up what we had and shipped it to the other. We got more than we wanted, because they included the rear oxygen system, blinker and all.

After the SBK II crashed in Breckenridge, and the wing decided repair was beyond our means, the CAF sold the airframe, backseat and all. The SBK II (N38LL) is currently registered to Vulcan Warbirds, Inc. in Seattle, WA. My understanding is they planned to return it to flight, but I have not seen any recent news on it. Perhaps they might not want the back seat hump and a trade could be made?