Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:45 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Hi All,

I'm planning my first visit to D.C. since my senior trip in 1982 in a couple of weeks, and of course I've set aside a full day for the NASM Udvar-Hazy center. Can anybody tell me what the photography rules are? There's nothing on their website, but I've heard that tripods are verboten. Are monopods permitted? From what I've heard, it's pretty dark in there, and you need something to steady the camera.

Thanks,

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:21 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I don't know what the current rules are, but when I last visited there at the end of 2006, tripods were indeed banned. I don't understand why that was, as the security was extremely lax to say the least. I've seen better security at movie theaters! I went there and used a cheap point and shoot digital camera during a dark, overcast day in Washington. Despite this, virtually all of my shots turned out pretty good - all of this without a tripod. One thing which I used to my advantage however was the museum's furnishings itself. There are a lot of railings and horizontal surfaces you can use to steady your camera on. I used these to great effect and it worked perfectly! :D

Perhaps someone who has been there recently can give an update on current policies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:17 am 

I can't help either with the question about tripods and such...however, I have a cheapo Kodak digital and have never taken a bad picture with it at Udvar with regards to the lighting.

As an aside, if you are planning on going downtown to the main NASM, last time I went was on a Saturday morning. Got there before 8 and parked right beside the building on the street all day for free. Pain in the buttocks getting out of downtown that afternoon...take your time...or as so many here have offered, take the metro.

...just another plane dreamer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:41 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Was there a couple years ago myself and Tripods were not allowed due to the "tripping hazard" I was told, but monopods are allowed!! Next time I go I will have one. I'm with Warbird1, use the furnishings, beams & rails.
I would highly recomend taking the metro into DC, I wouldn't wanna drive in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:01 am 

Correct, tripods are not allowed. But the layout and lack of things in your way is great. Its a bit dark in areas, but overall very good for the photographer.

Bill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:10 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I was going to say that I could somewhat understand the issue with tripods. They tend to be used without regard to others when you're talking about Joe Public "photographer" and they do take up a lot of space in a museum that has most of its space used. In this litigous society, I don't particularly blame NASM for not wanting that potential slip-and-fall liability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:05 am 

By the way, I had a monopod and they did not allow it. So I would call beforehand and get a name if they say yes.

Also if you have a large luggage bag, I took a cab there, it may not fit in the lockers. They made me drag it around the museum, until I went over to the lower info desk and ask if I could place it under the stairs. Funny that the monopod was an issue but dragging a large luggage bag around wasn't.

Bill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:14 am 

The Colonel Advises
Quote:
The Blue Line takes you to the airport/Arlington(no camera bags at Arlington)but stops at the terminal and the bus to the museum has been discontinued. Also, I got away with using my tripod as a monopod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:50 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

With relatives in the area we took the Green line in and connected to either blue or orange line(L'Enfant Plaza) to Smithsonian exit, from there it was short walk. I would drive to Hazy if I were you! Even if they still run the shuttle bus their run times didn't corespond with Hazys hours IIRC. i.e. First shuttle was an hour after they opened, and the last one to leave Hazy was an hour before they close!, so that just corresponds to less time inside!
Look forward to seeing updated photos when you get back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:54 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Visit here if you haven't already, www.wmata.com, DC's Metro website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:19 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Thanks, guys..great info!

We're staying out in Silver Springs, and taking the metro into town. We'll be leaving VA Beach on Sunday morning after the IPMS National Convention, and getting into the D.C. Area that night. My plan is to spend Monday and Tuesday doing general sightseeing..there are several "hop on, hop off" tram services that shuttle you around to the usual sights..a two-day pass is about 35 bucks a person. I plan to spend a full day at NASM on the Mall on Wednesday, then we'll leave town Thursday morning, and spend the day at U-H before heading west.

SN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:04 pm 

I've probably shot close to 2000 digital pictures at Udvar-Hazy since it opened, using a series of Olympus point n click cameras with combined optical and digital zooms.

The biggest issue is in shooting aircraft from a distance, such as from up on the catwalks. Flash isn't strong enough, so the pics come out dark and grainy. Workaround is to disable the flash and deal with a slower shutter. Lighting comes out ok, but like the old "Operation" game commercial goes "it takes a steady hand".

I have a very small tripod that can fit into the palm of my hand and the legs telescope out so it sits 6-8" tall. I've used it a lot (never had anyone bother me about it), propping it up on railings and such, disabling the flash and sometimes turning on the 10-second timer to go hands-off. Those have turned out to be the best pictures I've shot.

I'm going down to VA Beach for Nats too - only Thursday night, Friday and Saturday. You going to any of the events? I've heard the TwoBobs "hospitality suite" is pretty cool.

Also, if you are in the DC area two other museums you should consider visiting: National Museum of the Marine Corps at Quantico (right on the way up from VA Beach on 95), and also the US Navy Museum at the old Washington Navy Yard. Since it's on a military installation, the Navy Museum requires a call-ahead reservation ... but they have a LOT of really neat things in there (including 1/48 scale USS Ranger/CV-4 and USS Forrestal/CV-59)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:55 pm 

Hiya

I was fortunate to visit one of the twosites last September.

I only have a 3MP Sony with 3x optical zoom.

I tried to use handrails etc for my pictures , but not always it best positions - here is a link to 25 images I took with the camera in the Museum http://www.abpic.co.uk/results.php?q=sowter%20nasm&fields=all&sort=latest&page=0&limit=50

Click on each small picture to see a larger image

I took loads more but were too dark or blurred because of the poor light

Best regards

keith