Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:29 pm 
Potato

Have any of you guys actually seen one of these? I kinda figure that the ones that weren't scrapped might have went north, seeing how they're float planes and all. I impulse bought some RC plans for this plane off of ebay last year, and have been interested in it since. Here are a couple of links.

http://www.1000aircraftphotos.com/Contr ... s/2973.htm

http://www.qt.org/worldwar/weapons/amer ... /sc-1.html

I would be cool if there was a more modern photo of one. This overlooked plane might be a reasonably priced warbird project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:40 pm 
Potato

Welcome back Col.!

I think there is a company that will rent the little side scan sonars. Just drag it off the back of the lobster boat, you should find it pretty quickly. I don't know why, but the SC-2 is starting to become a borderline obsession. There's got to be one sitting behind a hangar, forgotten, up in Saskatchewan somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:56 am 
Potato

Thats cool. The navy shouldn't have a problem with you guys taking a look at it. I guess you're right about the Canada thing. I was thinking that since it's primarily a float plane, it would of ended up in float plane country after the end of their active service. But, seeing how it's a single seater, it's pretty much worthless in a civilian capacity, unless it's a firebomber, maybe, never seen one like that, so probably not. I gotta start studying/researching, there has to be one out there, intact, and not institutionalized, at least by the Navy.

Post subject: Replica
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:37 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

You could always see about building a replica :D

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:39 pm 
Potato

Thats always a possibility, Not for that plane though :D . I think if I was going to build a replica, I would buy plans from Flug Werk and spend the next 75 years trying to do a FW-190. The other one I would try,,,,The guy who started the old rhinebeck airdrome, made plans for and built an Albatross, he made the plans from measurments taken from NASM's albatross. Maybe I could score a copy of those plans. Rhinebecks Albatross looks awesome. Probably fairly dangerous to fly though.

Post subject: Pensacola Sea Hawk
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rob,

You posted that you believe Pensacola owns an SC-1. I'm not finding any reference to the Navy owning one. If you know differently please post info here or e-mail me. I'm most interested in the SC-1/-2 and have children to trade for one (Well, you can scratch that last part, but you know what I mean :wink: ).

Dan