Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Another Jug To Fly!!

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:06 am

You guys disappoint me!! I been waiting to see this here on
wix for a couple months now.
Jack Croul purchased P-47D "Dottie Mae" a few months back and she's in the potato state to be restored to her former glory. Not has a static collecting dust but a real flying machine. I've traded a few emails with Jack C. and he's a very very nice man and has done a ton for the warbird movement. He's a very unassuming and modest man, someday I hope to shake his hand :!: :!:

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:41 am

I wonder if this is the "big announcement" J Mazula eluded to in the article on the Impatitent Virgin featured in latest Warbird International :?:

????

Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:05 pm

I don't see a CP rag getting a exclusive on this a/c.
Maybe another :shock:

yep...

Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:57 pm

I new about it but didn't know if they wanted it public....and it will have MY wheels on it since its orig. wheels were corroded and I just happened to rescue a set a few years ago, and just happened to pass them on to someone who passed them on to the plane. Ya never know about those junk yard finds, boy am I glad I saved those wheels.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:02 pm

Im very glad to here this Thunderbolt will be airborne! :D But still I'm a little bummed that it wont be anywhere near me. :(

Doesn't matter, Long live the Thunderbolt Preservation Society!

The owners and operators of the mighty P-47!

Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:42 pm

Awesome news! So, who is going to be doing the restoration on her?

?????

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:03 pm

So, who is going to be doing the restoration on her?

Mike Breshaears of Vintage Airframes is doing the metal work and
Westpac will put the pieces together 8)

Re: ?????

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:19 pm

Jack Cook wrote:
So, who is going to be doing the restoration on her?

Mike Breshaears of Vintage Airframes is doing the metal work and
Westpac will put the pieces together 8)

Nice, I'm sure she will be a stunning award winner with that team! :D

???

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:24 pm

Nice, I'm sure she will be a stunning award winner with that team!

You should see Jack C's current 51 project they're doing :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:48 pm

If there ever was a candidate for the "Happy Jacks" treatment, it's "Dottie Mae".

I believe they were smart enough to remove the fuselage panels with the original nose art for proper preservation. That's the only piece of that plane that stood to lose value by being tampered with. The rest of the aircraft will serve up all the right secrets for preserving a 100% accurate physical example of a wartime P-47, if they are wise enough to sieze on the opportunity. They might also uncover a secret or two if they ar epatient enought to remove portions of the paint one coat at a time.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:15 pm

I completely agree Rob!

It would be a CRIME to strip the nose art off the cowling!! :!:

So COOL!

http://www.dottiemaep-47.com

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:19 pm

Back in the day.

Mike

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:44 pm

Django wrote:I completely agree Rob!

It would be a CRIME to strip the nose art off the cowling!! :!:

So COOL!

http://www.dottiemaep-47.com

It would aparently be a crime not to update the webpage :shock: Those pics are two years old :shock: Surely somebody has somthing a little more current :?:

??

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:49 pm

It's only been transported. Nothing's been done yet and it's
just sitting in a hanger.
Work will commence in a 3 weeks though at full bore!!
I'll see about some photos from my undercover operative :shock: 8)

Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:11 am

Anyone know if the pilot that crashed the Jug in the lake back in 1945 is still alive? If so, has he seen the P-47 since it's been recovered?
Post a reply