Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Miss Mitchell Prop Domes
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:55 pm 

Perhaps DougR can answer this. Looking through some old airshow photos I noticed an interesting trend with the prop domes on the Minnesota Wing's B-25. In 2001 they were blue/teal, in 2002 chrome, and in 2003 blue/teal again. I'm not too familiar with Hamilton Standard props, are the domes easily interchangeable? Or are there two different sets of props being used?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:00 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

dj51d wrote:
Perhaps DougR can answer this. Looking through some old airshow photos I noticed an interesting trend with the prop domes on the Minnesota Wing's B-25. In 2001 they were blue/teal, in 2002 chrome, and in 2003 blue/teal again. I'm not too familiar with Hamilton Standard props, are the domes easily interchangeable? Or are there two different sets of props being used?

The prop domes are aluminum. They can be painted or polished. They are interchangeable, and need to come off to remove the prop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:45 pm 

bdk, Thanks for the info. If Miss Mitchell shows up at Anoka this weekend, I'll see if one of the crew knows why the colors keep changing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:00 am 

My guess would be that the blade shank AD was probably complied with, which may have chipped/damaged the paint on the dome durring dissassembly, hence it being removed. Times contraints may have meant they didn't get them repainted in time when you saw it minus the blue. They were then repainted later as time allowed. Just a guess.... ;0) Jim

Post subject: prop domes
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:04 am 

i prefer the polished ones so when i put the gear down / up i can watch the nose gear extend or retract and can have a positive visual of the gear operation as well as assured that the nose gear is pointed in the right direction...

Post subject: Re: prop domes
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:33 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

jcw wrote:
i prefer the polished ones so when i put the gear down / up i can watch the nose gear extend or retract and can have a positive visual of the gear operation as well as assured that the nose gear is pointed in the right direction...

What do you do if the nose gear isn't pointed in the right direction?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:14 am 
PRAY :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:46 am 

dj51d wrote:

DJ,

I'm not Doug but I think I can answer your questions for ya...Well, I guess they more or less have been already! As BDK mentioned the dome caps are interchangable but those on MM have been the same for some time. The original sky blue (The authentic WWII scheme) was getting a little hargered a couple years ago from service and maintenance and were stripped. For some reason unkown to me they were polished. Popular demand at the Wing dictated that they be returned to their original color hence back to sky blue last year.

Last minute update: MM is not likely to make it to the DAD show at ANE this weekend. We are currnetly in the process of changing a jug on the right engine and it is unlikely we will have the job done in time.

Thanks for the interest,

John Beyl
CC Red Tail Mustang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:21 pm 

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize we had other members of the wing on the WIX. One of these days here, I need to scrape together some cash and finally join.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:19 pm 

dj51d wrote:
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize we had other members of the wing on the WIX. One of these days here, I need to scrape together some cash and finally join.

No need to dole out any cash right away. Come down and try us on for while and when you've decided whether or not the organization is something you want to join, write out the check at that time. We’re a pretty informal and friendly lot despite the friendly rivalries. Just remember, Miss Mitchell Rocks but the Red Tail RULES!

John Beyl
CC Red Tail Mustang

"The only thing right about a Wright is its name...and they even spelled that wrong!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:01 pm 

I have been gone for a while so I missed this thread, but the point is made.

As for you Dan,

Do stop down to the wing and get involved, and better yet, be sure and come to Redwing this weekend for what promises to be a big Warbird Bash!!!! Please find me and introduce yourself. I am the airboss so I will be at show center all day.

As for joining, the CAF, we do need members and we do encourage people to join up, however, all are welcome to visit, the Minnesota Wing or any other wing all across the country. WE NEED MEMBERS! I sit on the board of directors of the CAF and I see the demographics and we need new blood!!! If you believe in our mission, please dig in and send us a check.

You can join online at www.commemorativeairforce.org Put my name in the referal column, I need the credit :wink: