Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

B-17G Christening 381st BG

Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:36 pm

Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:40 pm

That is sweet. I remember one that I saw of a pretty nurse doing that to a B-24J or later model B-24 with nose turret.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:08 am

obviously before breast implants became popular!

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:43 am

Jack,

That is on one of the clips from my cousin's home 8mm films he took while stationed at Ridgewell that I previously posted here along with Bing Crosby's visit.

?????

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:53 am

I was wondering if anyone would notice :!: :P

Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:10 am

Another good one, Jack! 8)

A quick glance through Ridgewell's Flying Fortresses, by Ron Mackay (one of the better 8th AF unit histories, IHMO), captions this as Pvt. Cynthia Burfield of the British ATS (Auxiliary Territorial Service - the women's branch of the British Army) christening Smashing Time! of the 534th BS. B-17G 43-38158, coded GD-D.

The Fort was gained by the 381st in July 44. Salvaged in Feb 45 after a forced-landing (in a mine field! :shock: ) due to multiple engine failures near Sauverne (Saverne?), France on 21 Jan 45. Pilot 2Lt Robert Coates' brother was serving in an ordnance company that happened to be in the area and Coates told the US Army truck driver that was evacuating them to stop when he saw the unit's sign on the road. Memorable reunion! Great narrative of the events, and a pic of the belly-landed ship, on p. 183 of Mackay's book. 9 crew safe.

Wade
Post a reply