Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:51 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

As I said earlier, its not something I would spent $450 on or $4.50, but thats because it holds no interest to me.

The acceptable price for anything is what the seller is willing to accept, and what a buyer is willing to pay.

That may set a price considered high or unaffordable by others - but then thats how war surplus aircraft have gone from $1000 to $2000,000.

A "Rip Off" is when you are "forced" into paying too much for something, or discover what you bought "isnt" what it claimed to be.

In this case its provenance and attributes are fully described, and its a purchase of choice, its price is based on what the seller considers his time and effort is worth, and obviously there are some buyers willing to pay those prices.

Regards

Mark Pilkington

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:53 pm 

Putting economics aside for the moment.....

What exactly was the significance of the Toby Mug in the movie to begin with? I remember it was seen facing the wall in a few scenes, when someone turned it around to the groans of those in attendence. Was it a code of some sort about the upcoming mission?

What made this particular character pic this mug in the first place?

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:06 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The opening scene in the film takes place in 1949 in London where the former Adjutant of the Group, Harvey Stovall, discovers the Mug in a second hand shop. It motivates him to visit the old over grown airfield and leads into the flashback of what happened during the war. The Mug is a catalyst that triggers the film. There in lies it's importance.
it symbolizes much more than just that a mission was in the works during the film.

BTW, I have one of those mugs, and for $40. it was a good deal. I don't know if I'd pay what he's asking now, but I don't think it's a rip-off if there are people willing to pay for it. A rip off would be if you ordered it and when it arrived you discovered that it was made of plaster.

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:15 pm 

warbird1 wrote:
Just curious, are there even 1,999 "Twelve O'Clock High" fans in existence?

I have a DVD copy. I don't have a mug, nor do I want one, but I sure do enjoy watching every once in a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jerry O'Neill wrote:
The opening scene in the film takes place in 1949 in London where the former Adjutant of the Group, Harvey Stovall, discovers the Mug in a second hand shop.

Could he afford it? :lol:

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:59 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Holy cow! I've been looking for one of those for years. I'm going to place it on the mantle right next to these I got last week (not!):

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:14 pm 
JDK wrote:

Well Harvey did tell the shop owner to wrap it carefully....very carefully... :D :D

Quote:
A replica of the 918th Bomb Group's Robin Hood toby mug is in use by the Officer's club at Whiteman AFB, Missouri, home of the 509th Bomber Wing.

The real movie prop mug, which was the prized possession of the Frank Armstrong family, fell victim to theft in the early 90s and has not been seen since.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041996/trivia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:07 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

JDK wrote:
Jerry O'Neill wrote:
The opening scene in the film takes place in 1949 in London where the former Adjutant of the Group, Harvey Stovall, discovers the Mug in a second hand shop.

That's funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think it was just a couple of schillings in the film. The shop owner didn't want to rip him off cause it had been "knocked around a bit"!
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:26 pm 

Quote:

I guess so, three years ago I bought a half dozen of these and gave them away as gifts to some of the people who helped me get situated and typed in the Skyraider when I first got it. Interestingly enough, not one of the recipients said "hey, that's a real overpriced piece of crap". They all seemed genuinely happy to have received them. To me, that was invaluable. Guess it's just how you look at it.

"I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and skyraiders....and the rest of it I just wasted."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:39 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

EDowning wrote:
Quote:

I guess so, three years ago I bought a half dozen of these and gave them away as gifts to some of the people who helped me get situated and typed in the Skyraider when I first got it. Interestingly enough, not one of the recipients said "hey, that's a real overpriced piece of crap". They all seemed genuinely happy to have received them. To me, that was invaluable. Guess it's just how you look at it.

Of course they didn't, because it was the best kind of gift - a free one! I'm not saying it's a bad mug, in fact, I wouldn't mind having one, especially if someone gave it to me and I didn't have to pay for it. I would have been happy too! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

warbird1 wrote:
I wouldn't mind having one, especially if someone gave it to me and I didn't have to pay for it. I would have been happy too! :)

I dunno, they had to tell Eric he knew what he was doing with the SPAD - that's quite a fee. I'm sure if you asked some of them, late night in the bar, they'd say they're still paying for it. :lol:

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:22 pm 

JDK wrote:
Quote:
I dunno, they had to tell Eric he knew what he was doing with the SPAD - that's quite a fee. I'm sure if you asked some of them, late night in the bar, they'd say they're still paying for it.

Well.......I guess that proves people will say just about anything for a Toby Mug. At least they didn't turn it "face away" when I went to solo. That would have really been embarassing!

"I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and skyraiders....and the rest of it I just wasted."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:10 am 

Maybe we could put this to rest if you would all just settle for this mug. Cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHEWEY-STAR-WARS-MU ... 7C294%3A50

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:20 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

EDowning wrote:
Maybe we could put this to rest if you would all just settle for this mug. Cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHEWEY-STAR-WARS-MU ... 7C294%3A50

Hahaha! That is so dammn funny! That is one butt-ass ugly mug! No wonder it's so cheap. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:22 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I'm actually watching the film on AMC as we speak (I'm currently unemployed, but 20 years working nights makes it hard to sleep like a normal person.) Stovall paid ten shillings for the mug. 8)

SN