Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: T-28 verse TBM
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:29 pm 
Aerial Pirate

My buddy and I were yakking the other day and wondered about the choice of the above mentioned planes. If you had the money (I never will) and could by one or the other, it seems that most people go with the T-28 Trojan. Is that because it's more manueverable and faster, or what?

We were thinking that the Grumman TBM would make an excellent bird, as you could take more than one friend with you, and the folding wings would allow for easier storage in a hangar. And for those of us that can only dream about it, you would definitely receive attention at any airport that you flew into. What are your thoughts on this?

Of course, watching 9 T-28's flying today at the Traron Formation Clinic at Castle Airport still left me drooling............Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:39 pm 

I'd have to go with the T-28. A B model painted in Army colors would be a nice change from the Navy Trojans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:44 pm 
Maker of Spiffy models

T-28B?

Ha!!

Gimme a Fennec any day!

My father used to have one, now it's in the States, N28FE it's called....

It was gorgeous in French Air Force colours.... Algeria veteran it was!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:52 pm 
Aerial Pirate

I've photographed over 150 civilian T-28's though the years, and not one of them is in the early Army colors :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:14 pm 
Potato

T-28C with a B prop, or a straight up T-28B. My friend has a T28B and after several rides, that is what has convinced me to become a pilot. I've been promised the training after the required hours, all I need after that is the checkride. I might be talking out of my a##, I'll have to find a TBM ride to be absolutely sure. If it is to be a TBM, I'll have to go with the Cape Gloucester colors, got that right out of the squadron/signal book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:23 pm 

Fennec? Are those the T-28 like birds with backwards throtles :D

Post subject: Re: T-28 verse TBM
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:49 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Roger Cain wrote:
If you had the money (I never will) and could by one or the other, it seems that most people go with the T-28 Trojan. Is that because it's more manueverable and faster, or what?

We were thinking that the Grumman TBM would make an excellent bird, as you could take more than one friend with you, and the folding wings would allow for easier storage in a hangar. And for those of us that can only dream about it, you would definitely receive attention at any airport that you flew into. What are your thoughts on this?

If you want to play "Joe formation pilot," a T-28 is your best bet. You can fly around in formation with all your friends, then go into the coffee shop with your freshly starched flight suit unzipped just far enough to show off your chest hairs and thumb your nose at all the lowly spam can drivers.

I've only flown an A-model, but it flew just like a Cessna 172 with retractable gear. I hopped out of a Piper Arrow and into the back seat of that A-model and did half a dozen touch and goes with just verbal instructions. It was that easy.

I've never even flown in a TBM, but I have been told that they are easier to fly than a T-6. It can also carry the entire maintenance crew to the air show, so you are more likely to find volunteers to help work on it. The engine is more reliable than the T-28 I think too. The TBM is rarer and far more interesting at an air show, but obviously are not aerobatic in the sense that the T-28 is.

So I guess that if you want to do formation flying and limited aerobatics, take the T-28. If you want a collectors item that is very stable and has plenty of room, take the TBM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:20 am 
Potato

bdk, bro...Ya gotta get a ride in a big engine T-28. Fully aerobatic, no sustained inverted, the usual stuff, climbs better than a P-51, (I've never rode in a P-51, (gotta fix that)), and the ultimate best, is doing the military break at 2xx mph (I'm not telling) over anywhere. I've never rode in a TBM, and I love those planes, but choosing between one or the other, T-28 everyday. Thats just wrong though. Both planes are within striking distance, both as flying aircraft, and as projects, for the average cat. I've had this same conversation with my buds, and it comes down to the same two aircraft, T-28 and TBM. Sell the house, Sell the kids, I'm not coming back ( Bad Apocalypse Now Ref). Seriously though.....Most people/humans/whatever are gonna spend a ton of money on cars in the next ten-fifteen years, thats either of those planes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:09 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Why hasn't anyone thrown in a T-6 to the conversation? They cost less/the same than both the Avenger and the Trojan, and the T-6 sure looks sexier than that big ol' pig of a T-28.

The only advantage to a T-28 over a T-6 that I could see might be tricycle gear over tailwheel. But, hell, T-6 time is considered the standard P-51 prep-machine, so if there were anywhere I'd want to log a lot of time, the T-6 would be it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:39 am 

The TBM is a great, historical airplane. You are not going to roll it or loop it, but you can do vertical turns and wing-overs. It also does a very impressive buzz, very big and loud. I wouldn't say it is easier to fly than a T-6. It is much heavier and requires better energy management, and its' systems are slightly more complex (not much), but it does have nice wide gear and you can basically see over the nose on the ground. It's fun to take to airshows because it is historic and attracts veterans. Meeting them is by far the best thing about flying a TBM. I do agree with the previous post however. I would get a T-6 long before a TBM, and long, long before a T-28. Just an opinion. Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:03 am 
Maker of Spiffy models

Very funny guys.

This one had been modified somewhat in the States, it had a normal T-28 canopy, air intake above engine was removed and interior was stock T-28.

I have very fond memories of her!

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:41 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Gary Applebaum wrote:
I do agree with the previous post however. I would get a T-6 long before a TBM, and long, long before a T-28. Just an opinion. Gary

That is EXACTLY my plan of attack! :wink:

Of course, you'd probably be better off starting this whole progression with a Stearman so you can really learn how to fly...

BK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:38 pm 
Aerial Pirate

Without a doubt, I'd have to have a T-6, in my stable, but once again, I'd be limited to only taking one person with me. I'm still impressed by those big T-28's, and having ridden in a T-6, T-34, and P-51, I need to try out a T-28 someday. TBM is not very likely, but than I never thought I'd get a ride in a Mustang either, thanks to Dan Martin and Brian Adams.

I also love the sound of a T-28A when it starts and lopes along, so that you can darn near hear each cylinder firing.

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:53 pm 

While there is no such thing as a practical warbird, the T-28 comes close. I don't own mine anymore, but it was an ex-army plane that spent it's last years at Ft. Bragg doing recon work for the 82nd Airborne. Basically the Army just painted over the Navy script, but it did make for some interesting paperwork in the log books after transferring services.

The T-28 is easy to fly, but it's no C-172. Most guys like them as you learn to haul 9000 lbs worth of airplane around the sky at 300+ knots. You'll especially appreciate the sink rate when you get this plane slow and dirty in the traffic pattern. But flown by the numbers (and with one hand on the trim wheels) you'll be fine. Very aerobatic, and a great airplane to learn formation with, as you've got almost instant power with that big prop attached to the Wright 1820-86B, and a speed brake to slow you down if you've got too much smash.

I own an AT-6F now, and while it's a great airplane there is no contest with the T-28 as to speed and handling. Of course the T-6 is conventional gear, as all real airplanes should be, as you can't wheel land a T-28, and the prop going supersonic will get everyone on the ground's attention. So, the Texan gets style points, even if it is way too slow.

I don't have any flight time in the TBM, but my late friend Ron Maggard owned one and loved it. Basically Ron told me the TBM was a big cub, slow, but that you could take a bunch of friends to the airshows with you.

So, T-28=good first warbird. Lots of pilots, mechanics, parts and support.
Fast, aerobatic, good formation plane, easy to land, good payload. Lots to like. Horrible, constant maintenance and very complex systems.

TBM=good, if you're comfortable flying a taildragger. Need a good mechanic who knows round engines, but a simple, straightforward airplane. Probably the cheapest WW2 combat warbird that you could show up in (along with a bunch of friends and lawnchairs).

T-6=The pilot maker. If you want to fly a Mustang, a Spitfire or any other fighter you're gonna fly the T-6. Slow, sluggish, and she'll bite when you get relaxed and least expect it. She'll also do a rather nasty accelerated stall if you don't have the ball in the middle. But a joy to fly with the hood open and the prop in fine pitch. Makes all the right noises.

Hope this helps.

Steve Patterson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:13 pm 
Things sure look a lot different around this place. Thought I get a few posts in before the season gets crazy. Every weekend between now and Oshkosh is booked, and the Mrs. is none to happy about it.

Maybe if I buy her one of those "Remove Before Flight" t-shirts. Think that would help? :mrgreen: