Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Paul Allen's B-17
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:41 am 

Not sure if this has been posted yet?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... -42-29782/

Post subject: Re: Paul Allen's B-17
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Possible projection? Since BADWRENCH sold out to an Australian Bank who, as I predicted kept it for about 6 years and dumped it on GREENPOINT TECHNOLOGIES. Boeing purchased the state of the art ex BFG Hanger 3 as a mod facility for early 787's and later it will become the completion center for the KC-46A since BW no longer exists.

GREENPOINT has moved parts of it's executive interior mods outfit from the old TRAMCO/BFG hanger 2 to Moses Lake and the ex JAL hangers (originaly built to hold B-36's) to be able to do gee-whiz interors on private 747's in privacy so I'm betting they will bail on KPAE and Snohomish County taxes and take it all to Grant County Airport. leaving the former Hanger 1 of around 150,000 sq ft and still fairly new, vacant and conviently just yards to the East of the FHC facility which would give VULCAN the chance to buy Hanger 1 to expand their footprint on KPAE.

It's easier to figure out if you GOOGLE EARTH Paine Field WA., find the FHC facility on the South end of the airport and look a teeny bit to the right for Hanger 1, the fomer Hanger 3 (now Boeing) is at the bottom of the shot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:08 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Does there ALWAYS have to be a conspiracy? :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jerry O'Neill wrote:

No, it's just more difficult to sex gnats from 3200 miles away as opposed to being closer to the action. :lol: And where did you pull 'conspiracy' from? :P

You don't understand that the clock showing Vulcan time (P. Allens company) has no correlation to actual time passage and their drummer has his own, distinctive beat.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The Inspector wrote:
Posthe old TRAMCO/BFG hanger 2 to Moses Lake and the ex JAL hangers (originaly built to hold B-36's)...

Actually B-52s. According to family lore, my dad had a very minor role in designing the roads to the building. He spent his summers in college working for his home town county road dept. and he was assigned to Larson as a maintenance officer and pilot. They had an issue with an access road and he sorted it out.
Larson never had B-36s assigned, and IIRC, the hanger was built as the USAF acceptance center for new B-52s from Seattle.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

JohnB wrote:
The Inspector wrote:
Posthe old TRAMCO/BFG hanger 2 to Moses Lake and the ex JAL hangers (originaly built to hold B-36's)...

Actually B-52s. According to family lore, my dad had a very minor role in designing the roads to the building. He spent his summers in college working for his home town county road dept. and he was assigned to Larson as a maintenance officer and pilot. They had an issue with an access road and he sorted it out.
Larson never had B-36s assigned, and IIRC, the hanger was built as the USAF acceptance center for new B-52s from Seattle.

You're correct! I forgot.........um......ah......oh yeah......, that Boeing built a prep center at Moses Hole because about two weeks after the second B-47 rolled out of Plant 2 the neighbors started turbo whining about 'all the noise' that evolved into the JAL training hangers until JAL stopped using the whale and went to all 3 axis sims for the 767/777.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:55 pm 

Jerry O'Neill wrote:

+1

Back on topic about the B-17... Someplace I dug up some images of the forward section of the fuselage in a jig with most new skins all applied, along with various bits and pieces. Couldn't find a date, and as always, FHC hardly even acknowledges existence of such an aircraft. If I find those images again I will repost.

Also, the person who made that post makes the exact same comment on EVERY SINGLE news item in the local papers regarding HFF, FHC, HFM, or any other flying collection. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Fight2FlyPhoto wrote:
Jerry O'Neill wrote:

+1

Back on topic about the B-17... Someplace I dug up some images of the forward section of the fuselage in a jig with most new skins all applied, along with various bits and pieces. Couldn't find a date, and as always, FHC hardly even acknowledges existence of such an aircraft. If I find those images again I will repost.

Also, the person who made that post makes the exact same comment on EVERY SINGLE news item in the local papers regarding HFF, FHC, HFM, or any other flying collection. :roll:

You have to admit that trying to explain the workings of FHC on line is like trying to tell someone you just woke up how to tie his shoes over the phone.
Not making excuses or covering, but if ya ain't involved in it first hand, it's not easy to explain FHC-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:40 pm 

The Inspector wrote:
Fight2FlyPhoto wrote:
Jerry O'Neill wrote:

+1

You have to admit that trying to explain the workings of FHC on line is like trying to tell someone you just woke up how to tie his shoes over the phone.
Not making excuses or covering, but if ya ain't involved in it first hand, it's not easy to explain FHC-

Your quote above is probably the best explanation I've ever heard of how FHC works (or doesn't). Thanks for that!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:26 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Inspector, curious to know what your first hand involvement with FHC is (confidentiality restrictions aside)?

Dave

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

DaveM2 wrote:
Inspector, curious to know what your first hand involvement with FHC is (confidentiality restrictions aside)?

Dave

Like Hawkeye Pierce once said 'I have low friends in high places', mostly it's knowing the guy who talks to the guy or overhears the conversation-I don't rat out on my friends, I don't get to FHC a lot but know folks who do and who have other tenticles in the local museum community

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:19 pm 

The Ball turret and tail turret are on display for the public, but all of FHC's aircraft are kept out of the weather and at the present time they do not have a hangar big enough for a B-17. The Zero display is scheduled to stay until the end of the year for now. The F5-B is gone for 2 months for it's annual and the Mig 29 is about due for it's annual which FHC mechanics are not qualified to do so it will probably depart for a while. Other than that anything is guesswork.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:25 am 

Inspector-I had a good laugh at your explanation of how FHC operates. So true, and so frustrating. Some days I don't know if I should love them or hate them. :-p And when I say "them" I mean the powers in charge of making decisions who seem to be dead-set on actively eliminating any community involvement in the collection. I always love visiting the docents and mechanics.