Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:08 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Running WIX total: $50

Donors:

bdk

http://s452.photobucket.com/albums/qq247/pofvolunteerweb/B-17/?start=all

We had a few folks pledge donations in the following thread:

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31181

I just wanted to provide a copy of the receipt (trust but verify) for the $50 cash donation I made yesterday in the Planes of Fame gift shop and I encourage those that made pledges to also do so. You can see that it clearly shows that it is for the B-17 fund and I can assure you that this money is accounted for separately.

Let's put our money where our typing fingers are and show our support for this worthy cause!

Planes of Fame
7000 Merrill Ave # 17
Chino, CA 91710
(909) 597-3722
http://www.planesoffame.org/contactus.php (Contact Info)
http://www.planesoffame.org/membership.php (Online Membership- http://shop.planesoffame.org/category.sc?categoryId=2)
http://shop.planesoffame.org/main.sc (Online Gift Shop)

Last edited by bdk on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:26 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

No money to spare at the moment, Brandon, but I'll be pitching in when able.

Do they need any windshields? I have three of 'em.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:29 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

retroaviation wrote:

Gary
I'll find out. Parts will get you on the list too! Are these glass or plastic, and what condition are they in (NOS, used airworthy, etc.). I'm sure the museum would take them, even if they didn't need them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:10 pm 

Hello BDK,
I was just at the POF, Chino and I have to agree they have some very exciting projects going on. My overtime was cut at my day job (probably like so many on the WIX in the aviation industry), so I was not able to make the donation to the Seversky AT-12 like I promised you. However I too would like to make a small donation to the B-17 (my grandfather was an 8th AF, B-17F gunner). How do I contribute at the POF gift shop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:31 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Is there a Piccadily Lily jacket patch available? I didn't see one listed in the gift shop inventory. I'll make a $100 donation in exchange for one! :D

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:54 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

VCS1 wrote:
How do I contribute at the POF gift shop?
Just tell them you want to donate to the B-17 and they will give you a receipt just like mine. And they certainly do take credit cards!

For as often as you go you should become a member. :wink: That will get you in free anytime, including for the monthly events where you can win an aircraft ride in the member raffle.

k5dh wrote:
Is there a Piccadily Lily jacket patch available? I didn't see one listed in the gift shop inventory. I'll make a $100 donation in exchange for one! :D

Cheers,
I'm checking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:37 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

bdk wrote:
retroaviation wrote:

Gary
I'll find out. Parts will get you on the list too! Are these glass or plastic, and what condition are they in (NOS, used airworthy, etc.). I'm sure the museum would take them, even if they didn't need them.

Here's a picture of the fronts and backs of them, Brandon. They're all glass and are kind of foggy, but I think they might be able to be cleaned up better.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Being that PL is in better shape than the Liberty Belle II at Grissom, do you think that anything that is being replaced by the POF can be checked out by the folks at Grissom to see if they could use it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:30 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

mustangdriver wrote:
Being that PL is in better shape than the Liberty Belle II at Grissom, do you think that anything that is being replaced by the POF can be checked out by the folks at Grissom to see if they could use it?

Okay, I clearly have no say in what the POF folks do, but it's my OPINION that since the NMUSAF will NOT do any trading of parts to keep other airplanes either flying, or static, (and yes, I have personal experiences with this issue), then I say let 'em find their own parts to get Liberty Belle II looking better. I guarantee you that's what the NMUSAF would tell the POF if the tables were turned. And NO, this is not to "bash" the NMUSAF, but it's purely my opinion, based on real world experiences.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:44 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

k5dh wrote:

Cheers,

Sorry, no patch. It is unfortunate though that you might make that a condition of support for this worthwhile project. I wasn't even aware of the thank-you gifts when I made my donation since I really wasn't expecting anything in return other than to see progress on the restoration.

Quote:
There are different B-17 support levels and thank-you gifts ranging from $20 to $25,000. The $20 donor gets a bumper sticker, the $50 gets a lapel pin, certificate of appreciation and a bumper sticker, the $100 gets the above plus a years membership, $500 gets a signed B-17 print, two-year membership and the other things, $1000 gets a framed B-17 artifact (don't know what) and the above items, $2,000 gets your name inside the B-17 and all of the above, $5,000 gets a flight in a P-51, a 5-year membership and all of the above, $10,000 gets B-25 flight for 5 people, 1 lifetime membership, 4 one-year memberships and all of the above, $20,000 gets you a flight in a B-17 for 6 people, your name on the outside of the B-17 and all of the above.

Post subject: Windshields
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:01 pm 

Champaign Lady being restored at Urbana, Ohio needs a pair of windshields and would appreciate any donation. They can be contacted at b17project.com.[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

retroaviation wrote:
mustangdriver wrote:

Okay, I clearly have no say in what the POF folks do, but it's my OPINION that since the NMUSAF will NOT do any trading of parts to keep other airplanes either flying, or static, (and yes, I have personal experiences with this issue), then I say let 'em find their own parts to get Liberty Belle II looking better. I guarantee you that's what the NMUSAF would tell the POF if the tables were turned. And NO, this is not to "bash" the NMUSAF, but it's purely my opinion, based on real world experiences.

Gary

Grissom is not an air force base museum. They are on their own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

retroaviation wrote:
mustangdriver wrote:

Gary

Gary, the NMUSAF has done alot of trading of parts to give to flying warbirds. Just not those of certain organizations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:06 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Like I said Chris, I am only speaking of my personal experiences. I cannot speak for others who may have had better luck. And my apologies if the Grissom B-17 doesn't belong to the NMUSAF. I just assumed it was, but apparently I was wrong.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:45 pm 

Sorry are these windows REALLY hard to get ahold of? If so, does anyone have the blueprints or examples that arent warped or damaged to mold? I know a very top of the line aircraft glass manufacturer that might make some if there is enough info to make them and the need.....

Proud Supporter of....American Aeronautical Foundation 501(c)(3)
http://www.aafgroup.org