Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:52 am 

I had a recent telephone conversation with Gen. Steve Richie...he appearently had a falling out with the Collins people over safety issues concerning the F-4...he doesn't know when...or if...it will fly again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:55 am 
WRG Associate Editor

Gen. Ritchie has not been affiliated with the Collings Foundation for more than two years now and we are not sure where the source of his information is from. The Collings Foundation is highly concerned with the safe operation of all the aircraft in our collection and places a very high regard on maintenance, training, and general operation standards. We follow a very comprehensive maintenance and operations program that mirrors standards set by the USAF for the F-4 Phantom.

The F-4 has recently completed a set of several successful test and check flights by F-4 pilot Harry Daye at the Collings Foundation West home airfield at Ellington Field, Houston, TX. The aircraft is being readied for the 2005 season and has the following events already scheduled:

April 1-4 - CF West Open House - Houston, TX - Ellington Field

May 21 & 22 - Selfridge AFB Airshow - Selfridge, MI

June 18 - Vietnam Welcome Home Celebration - Flyover event (based at Springfield, MO)

We are currently promoting the aircraft and have several other events in process. Additions will be posted to: http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_schedules.htm

Ryan Keough
Collings Foundation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:38 pm 

JBoyle wrote:
I had a recent telephone conversation with Gen. Steve Richie...he appearently had a falling out with the Collins people over safety issues concerning the F-4...he doesn't know when...or if...it will fly again.

I manage all safety and repair issues on the F4. We have worked with the FAA here in Houston on every decision that takes place over the last 6 years.
We work hard to provide FAA repair shops the technical documentation that is required for the repair of key components.
This a/c will never leave the ground if we feel that someone's life or safety would be placed in jeopardy.
Tommy Garcia
Director of CFWest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:57 pm 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

TG Write to Scott and have him pull those comments! Unless it is in the paper or Mr Richie himself wrote those words I would have it pulled! No Disrepect intended but Steve is a pilot and probably didn't bend wrenchs on F-4's. I know that Idle chat can lead to a whole lot of B.S. I don't think you want people reading this and thinking you are unsafe which could hurt your organization! If you tell a lie enough it becomes true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:06 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Broken-Wrench wrote:
TG Write to Scott and have him pull those comments! Unless it is in the paper or Mr Richie himself wrote those words I would have it pulled! No Disrepect intended but Steve is a pilot and probably didn't bend wrenchs on F-4's. I know that Idle chat can lead to a whole lot of B.S. I don't think you want people reading this and thinking you are unsafe which could hurt your organization! If you tell a lie enough it becomes true.

I don't think the comments need to be pulled in this case. A statement was made regarding a phone conversation that made some vague claims. Both Ryan and TG clarified the situation and provided the correct information. That is essentially what these forums are about and it worked well in this situation.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:40 am 

I agree Scott. A statement was made (albeit second hand), and counterpoints were then given. I found the posts by members of the Collings Foundation to be clear and direct, and I believe that everyone can make up their own mind on this topic without heavy handed moderation or censorship.

Well done.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:09 pm 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

It's not heavy handed moderation but liable makeing statements that arn't particulary true that could result in damages ( Loss of revenue due to to unsubstanuated claims. ) If I was in that situation and a Fed came to vist me as a result of a web page like this I would sue the guy for damages that made the statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:34 pm 

Liable comments? Well, quite possibly. But asking Scott to be the judge concerning what’s factual and what isn’t is an impossible task. By it’s very nature a forum is an open market, a Kasbah for thoughts and comments from every corner. It’s up to every one of us to sort through the clutter and decide for ourselves what’s real, what isn’t so real, and what’s just plain dumb.

I would rather make up my own mind (which I already have on this topic), than have someone else sort through the posts to try and edit the truth to the surface. That’s a Pandora’s box that we don’t need to open.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:42 pm 

Now calm down Rob...no need to get yourself in a state (even Maine). There's no need to go locking threads or deleting posts. Everything here is under control.

Some very nice photos, and some very nice posts. This is actually a very informative thread.

Hope to be in Houston next weekend, but if the old girl isn't quite ready, best of luck everyone.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:53 pm 

Col. Rohr wrote:
Steve can you e-mail me I have a photo of your Seafury I want to forward on to you also I would like to ask a private question.

Thanks
Rob

What sort of question? I'm married you know. To a woman. A nice woman. The mother of my children.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:

Hi Steve,

I would like to ask a private question.

Thanks
Rob

My name is Steve Patterson. I'm a gemini. I like mexican food, world travel, a friendly smile, honesty, kittens, ferraris, old planes and long walks on the beach...... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:09 pm 
WIX Motor Pool Officer

Col. Rohr wrote:
Brad wrote:

Hi Steve,

I would like to ask a private question.

Thanks
Rob

My name is Steve Patterson. I'm a gemini. I like mexican food, world travel, a friendly smile, honesty, kittens, ferraris, old planes and long walks on the beach...... :D[/quote]

Brad,

That just to funny :D[/quote]

An informative thread and it brings a smile to your face. Whats not to like. :mrgreen:

We attack at dawn.

Post subject: Brad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:29 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

A little late in coming but a friendly warning. Don't trust this guy (I mean check out the hair cut!). He tends to show up, work his ass off and expect little in return. If you see him run. PS: If you see him in company with Bud Granley or Jerry Janes....RUN LIKE H-E-L-L!!!

Last edited by Jack Cook on Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Brad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:30 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

I HEAR HE LIKES SMALL FURRY ANIMALS ALSO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:17 am 

srpatterson wrote:
I agree Scott. A statement was made (albeit second hand), and counterpoints were then given. I found the posts by members of the Collings Foundation to be clear and direct, and I believe that everyone can make up their own mind on this topic without heavy handed moderation or censorship.

Well done.

Steve

Broken Wrench....you're a bit touchey on this one.
:)

There was nothing remotely libelous in what I posted...Gen R said what he said and I simply re-stated it. I didn't ask for any details and he didn't volunteer any.
I'm a journalist with a MA...I"ve studied libel laws, and this isn't even close. To be libelous he would have had to give specifics....make a claim about the plane, its maintenance, or operation. Which he did not.

He did not tell me, nor did I repeat, that the plane was unsafe or flown in an unsafe manner. All I said his that he had a disagreement with the Foundation. People disagree on things all the time...it doesn't mean someone is bad/evil or one party is wrong....adults can respectfully disagee about things.
Even the two gentlemen who work on the plane didn't deny that there was some friction between the General and the foundation.

I'm glad the plane is well maintained and operated. A freind whas worked on the bomber tours and has nothing but praise for the Foundation and its members.

Last edited by JBoyle on Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.