Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Holiday themed aviation pictures

Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:05 am

I was thinking that it would be nice to see some holiday themed aviation pictures, especially from World War II. I know some of you have to have some. Post em here.

Re: Holiday themed aviation pictures

Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:40 am

PHOTO DESCRIPTION: A group of Ohio Marines serving with the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing in Korea are shown in front of a U.S. Marine Corps Grumman F7F-3N Tigercat in December 1950. Left to right are: M/Sgt. Robert T. Hunt, 1st. Lt. David W. Bowman, M/Sgt. Thomas H. Allom, Lt. Arnold J. Hammons, Lt. Walter J. Waldo, Capt. Leland A. Gaug, Capt. William G. Diar, Jr., M/Sgt. William R. Goodall III, and Maj. George A. Hanna. Date December 1950(1950-12) Source U.S. http://www.defenseimagery.mil photo no. HM-SN-98-06695; NARA file no. 127-GK-4-A132638 Author Camera Operator: MSgt. Charles D. Prindle.

Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:35 am

Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:17 am

PHOTO DESCRIPTION: A McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II of fighter squadron VF-111 Sundowners, Attack Carrier Air Wing Fifeteen (CVW-15), being launched from the aircraft carrier USS Coral Sea (CVA-43) on Christmas 1971 by a catapult officer dressed up as "Santa Claus". The Coral Sea was on a deployment to Vietnam from 12 Nov 1971 to 17 Jul 1972. The F-4B is armed with AIM-9D Sidewinder and AIM-7 Sparrow air-to-air-missiles. (US Navy Photo)

Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:17 pm

Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:07 pm

US NAVY PHOTO

PHOTO DESCRIPTION: At sea aboard USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) Dec. 21, 2002 -- An F-14D Tomcat assigned to the "Tomcatters" of Fighter Squadron Thirty One (VF-31) launches from the flight deck of USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72). In keeping with the holidays, the Tomcat displays the squadron logo Felix the Cat in a Santa's hat, painted on the vertical stabilizers. Lincoln and her embarked Carrier Air Wing Fourteen (CVW-14) are supporting Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Southern Watch. U.S. Navy photo by Ensign Charles M. Abell.

8)

Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:54 pm

Loading up for the mission

The payoff

Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:15 pm

Ya gotta have Bob Hope for the Holiday's

Image US NAVY PHOTO

PHOTO DESCRIPTION: Aboard USS Ticonderoga (CVA 14) (Dec. 26, 1965) -- Entertainer Bob Hope tees-off on the flight deck aboard the aircraft carrier USS Ticonderoga (CVA 14) during his visit to the carrier off the coast of Vietnam. Bob Hope and other entertainers were on a Christmas Tour of U.S. Military installations throughout Vietnam.

8)

Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:21 pm

Image US NAVY PHOTO

PHOTO DESCRIPTION: Virginia Beach, Va. (Dec. 4, 2004) – An F-14B Tomcat, assigned to the “Red Rippers” of Fighter Squadron One One (VF-11), wears a special holiday paintjob on it’s vertical stabilizers during the squadron’s family holiday party on board Naval Air Station Oceana, Va. U.S. Navy photo by Lt. Rico R. Harris
:D

Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:49 am

Armyjunk - is that a Cougar? the cockpit looks a little funny - but then I am not all that familiar with Navy a/c

Tom P.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:46 am

I made this for a christmas card a few years ago.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:54 pm

Na na na na, the landing gear have to be candy-canes and the tires gumdrops! :lol:

Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:18 pm

Somewhere out there is a painting of a bunch of Canadians playing hockey on a pond during the holidays with snow on the ground and a Hawker Typhoon nearby...I think there was a Jeep in the painting too....always liked it because it combined three of my favorite things, planes, jeeps and Hockey. Canadians are cool too, I guess.

Mark

Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:26 pm

Frederick Army Air Field, 1943:

Regards,

Andy

Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:32 pm

Here is the McCook AAF chapel decorated for Christmas, 1943.

And a card from Lincoln:

Scott
Post a reply