Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:40 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Paul Patist wrote:
Sad news as Donald Hinz passed away....
http://www.aero-news.net/

Sorry to hear that... my thoughts and condolences go out to his family and friends

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject: Red Tail P-51C
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:32 pm 
Gentlemen,
I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but Don Hinz, the pilot of the Red Tail P-51C, died in intensive care, at Regions Hospital in Minneapolis this morning.
The airplane can be rebuilt, but I've heard nothing concerning that , at this point.

Dick Phillips

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:58 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This is really really sad news. The CAF has just had the worst luck these past two years; so many great men, and great aircraft gone. Could this be a systemic problem within the organization? I hope not. I guess when you have so many aircraft flying there are bound to be more chances of accidents. What troubles me greatly is that so many of these accidents have been due to engine failure at the most vulnerable moments. I am sure that the CAF follow very stringent maintenance plans, but it seems that there must be something which can be done to reduce the frequency of these tragedies. I guess that's why they have hired a consultant to study the problem. I hope they find some solutions soon...

My heart goes out to Mr. Hinz's family.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:04 pm 
Maker of Spiffy models

I'm with you guys, my thoughts are with this guy's family and I sure hope the CAF will see better days...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:44 pm 

All,

I will give a brief update, I can't spend a bunch of time here. It was a terrible loss. I was flying the B-25 landing and Don said he was losing the engine, Larry Lumpkin was on the ground in the Gunfighter and told Don to turn on the boost pump, I said get the prop back, Don said, that is all done. Larry said, Fly it to the ground Don, Fly it to the ground."

That is exactly what he did.

The airplane landed in a wings level low speed low angle condition, as survivable as it could be. He hit one tree which took off one wing, and then another which spun him around and the airplane came to rest on it right side with both wings severed.

The Crash crews were there with in 4 minutes. Larry took off imeadiately to locate the wreckage incase the crash crews could not find it, and by the time he was overhead they were there.

Gerry Beck came down this morning and went with the FAA to the wreckage. Early indications are that the V drive which powers the cam failed. Both cams would quit turning and there was nothing that Don could have done but fly it to the ground. He did that.

Your thoughts and prayer for his family are appreciated. Don would never forgive us if we let this setback stop the Redtail project which he gave the last 10 years, and ultimately his life for. With a million bucks and 18 months we could be flying again. Don would want that. Wish us luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:00 pm 

On behalf of Mike Luther, Kevin Walsh, and myself we would like to express our sincere condolences to the family and friends of Don Hinz.

I had the pleasure of meeting Don last year when he brought the Red Tail to Detroit for a Tuskeegee Airmen event.

Blue Skies,

Paul Draper
Thunder Over Michigan
Yankee Air Museum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:31 pm 

My sincerest condolences to the family and friends of Don Hinz. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:01 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Tough time to check back in.
I was there along with Doug, John, and the rest.
It it always hard to lose another friend, especially a man like Don.
I did not know him well, but my encounters with him made me wish I did..
There is some more info here:
http://www.kare11.com/news/news-article ... S_ID=64562
And it is being reported (KSMP FOX9) that that in lieu of flowers, memorials should be sent to:
WWW.redtail.org[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:14 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Doug et al--

Such terrible news. My thoughts and prayers are with Mr Hinz' family and also with the many people involved with the Red Tail Project that meant so much to Mr Hinz. I never did meet him but was privileged to see "By Request" at several shows; and I well remember the utter thrill of seeing her, so newly completed at the time, on the hallowed turf at the '01 Geneseo event: one of those things one can't quite believe one is actually seeing!

I heard only this afternoon that this accident had happened, then in rapid succession that Mr Hinz was flying "By Request" this day and that he had succumbed in hospital. Knowing that he had helmed the project to completion a few years ago, I immediately had the same thought that you (Doug) expressed: that Don Hinz would want the Project to keep on. It is heartening especially at such a time to "hear" you, as someone intimately involved with the Project, say that. I know there are many who would disagree, but I think, in this case at least, you're one hundred per cent correct...

Steve Tournay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:59 pm 

ANN reported that he passed ... bad day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:59 pm 

All,

From all of us involved in the Red Tail project we thank you all very much for your heartfelt condolences. It is a very difficult time for all of us and knowing we have your support means so very much.

I would ask that if you hear any rumors about the incident please do not propagate them. There was absolutely no way to predict this unfortunate, unforeseen tragedy. As CC of the Red Tail I can tell you that the maintenance program it was subjected to every 25 hours was far more extensive than most others. This is simply because we love our pilots and deeply respect stewardship entrusted to us with these rare pieces of our history.

We currently in the process of pinpointing the exact cause of the failure but as Doug mentioned in his post we have narrowed it to the upper half of the vertical shaft that drives the cams. ANY FURTHER INFORMATION ON IT IS PURE SPECULATION and once again, please refrain from spreading misinformation. We will keep you all posted on what we find as it may be useful information to other -7 Merlin operators.

I'm with Doug when he said we will not stop until everything humanly possible has been exhausted to get that aircraft back in the skies as soon as possible. This time she will fly not only in honor of The Tuskegee Airmen who originally made her famous but also in honor of CMDR Hinz who was the heart and soul of the project.

John Beyl
CC Red Tail Mustang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:21 am 

John and Doug,

As a member of the CAF, and a guy from your backyard, (not to mention a Redtail fan), I just wanted to say thank you both, for commenting on this terrible event. It would be so easy for you guys to dismiss all of the "armchair enthusiast" speculation, and gossip, etc., and to focus on the matters at hand. But no, you both joined your friends on the WIX and gave us your thoughts in this very difficult time.

The loss of Don and the Redtail is unbelievably huge, and I am so proud of you guys, and especially Don's family, for the positive, move forward, attitude you have all displayed in putting Don's dream back in the air. From the few times that I talked to Don when he flew into the Rice Lake airport, I can only agree with you in saying that he wouldn't want it any other way.

You both, as well as Don's family, and all the rest of the folks this tragedy has touched are in my and my family's prayers.

To Don and the Redtail..........

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Eloquently stated, as always, Mr. Dennis.

The Lord's hand of comfort to surviving family and friends,

Dan