Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 276  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:11 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

NImrodA26 wrote:
...............an excellent crew car for the A26 team. It is a 1980 Vette

Wow, what a "Follow Me" vehicle that would make!!

I have to agree with you, Randy. I made this proposal to Hawkeye and he said he would have to take it under advisement. I think that means he has to ask his wife, but not sure! As you well know, a married man can be right or he can be happy! :-) JR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:15 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Who woulda thunk'd it?? Need some 7/32nd Zerk grease fittings for the scissors on the left main gear. See the little holes? They need filling. But our usual local sources have very few zerks of any kind. Fascinating! The world moved on without me I guess. Never saw this coming. :-) JR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:27 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

David A and "Strat" couldn't resist trying out the external bomb rack with one of our 100 lb practice units. Big Mike is set to paint the 4 we have with OD paint. The rack and shackle hooked up to the lugs perfectly, however, we will carry these in the bomb bay. We hope to find 230 gal external fuel tanks and napalm canisters for the external racks. Anybody got any leads where to find these?? Thanks, and don't forget to come see us any Saturday, but especially Saturday, 13 Oct, for Fall Fling. Helicopter rides have been added to the agenda for those interested in beating the Earth into submission. See http://www.gga1.org for Dana's number to schedule a ride on the R-44 or the DC-3. JR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:35 pm 

7/32 would seem to be a very unlikely size for a grease fitting. Have you tried a !/4-28 thread? If you had to improvise I think the next size available would be 6mm. Good luck on your search.
Frank Nelson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:42 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Look Ma, we found Zerks!! Rather more like the real JR found em. After a long search of the usual places, these odd sized little ... uh, fittings, were just not to be found. JR took some out of our spare gear leg that worked so now all we have to do is get the things to take a good grease job... kinda like my landings will be...I know, I know, but it ain't braggin if you can do it!! :-) As my good buddy Darrell used to say about Texas, "It ain't no step for a stepper!" The other JR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:54 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Notice anything else different? Yep, our sheetmetal magician, Ray, has built all new tubing for the brake system and it has been fitted/installed on the left gear. It has not been tightened up yet as a little more time is needed to check all of the alignment. After the VFM Hangar Dance on 20 Oct, we can move K back into the hangar and start installing the newly overhauled brake assembly to go with all the new tubing and hoses! Another Ta dah!! Thanks Ray.. :supz: JR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:06 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Big Mike and Denis had fun in the paint room yesterday. They finished prepping and then painting our tow bar bright yellow. It looks brand spankin' new. We just have to get a stencil made to "personalize" it now for K. This comes just in time for our Fall Fling next weekend, Oct 13 from 9 am to 6 pm at Meacham Airport in Ft Worth. We are towing the A-26 and the B-25 over to the ramp to be a part of the big display of vintage airplanes and cars. Restored military vehicles will be there as well. Come on by and get a tour of the A-26 and the B-25. This is a fund raiser to help both airplanes return to flight. Please help support our efforts and enjoy some fun while you are at it. :-) Our DC-3 will be giving rides as well several other aircraft and helicopters. This is your big chance so don't miss out. Thanks, JR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:08 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Good to see the zerks were not out of reach :D . Looking good and keep the updates coming. :drink3:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:59 pm 

Great hread--thanks to everyone who has contributed! I have a question about the glass nose with camera installation. Does anyone have (or know where I can get) pictures and/or drawings of the K-38 oblique-mounted camera for the nose installation? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim A.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:41 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

10tweaker wrote:
Great hread--thanks to everyone who has contributed! I have a question about the glass nose with camera installation. Does anyone have (or know where I can get) pictures and/or drawings of the K-38 oblique-mounted camera for the nose installation? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim A.

Jim, other than the Dash One manual reference I gave you, I don't have any other answers on it. There are still some placards in the bomb bay of K referring to camera mounts and flash detectors, but nothing is left in the gun nose about camera equipment except for the gun camera. Most of these were moved to the cockpit center post or eliminated all together. Most of the Nimrods we have talked to don't ever remember using a gun camera although several do recall using the mapping cameras. JR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:47 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The crew with Southern Cross, our DC-3, reported some strange sights in the New Mexico skies yesterday. They may have strayed a little too close to the White Sands Missile Range. Not sure why, but the PIC asked me for a NASA Report form. Might just be a coincidence. :-) Anyway, they will be returning home after giving rides at the ABQ Balloon Fiesta just in time to give rides at our Fall Fling next Saturday. Don't miss the opportunity. Call Dana this week to reserve your seat and take advantage of the deals being offered. http://www.gga1.org for her number. Cheers, JR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:32 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Here is an item we have been looking for and finally found. The original airspeed indicators had been replaced so naturally, we had to get the correct ones if possible. It turned out to be a long search, but we found two good ones. This is just a sample picture and not the ones we got, but ours are in much better shape then this one. The thing I like about this style is the big hand goes to the big number and the little hand (drum) goes to the little number. This can be more precise when it comes to airspeed control on approach to landing. Things like this are priceless in the A-26 with its laminar flow, high speed wing. Actually, would like to have an angle of attack indicator even though it was not original to the airplane just for safety's sake. Sounds like a good idea. Any recommendations on a system that might work on the K? Cheers, JR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:29 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The T-37 & C-130 used the same indicator - only different, as the scale of marked speeds is different - no wonder they can be hard to find - they look the same at first glance, but wait!

I know all I looked at while flying was the drum. I suppose the subconscious uses the outer needle but the drum was everything. The C-130 had a note in the -1 saying to disregard the barber pole as it was not accurate - maybe that was an anomaly of that particular installation? Some moved, some didn't, but they were all disregarded.

Ken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:33 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Ken wrote:
The T-37 & C-130 used the same indicator - only different, as the scale of marked speeds is different - no wonder they can be hard to find - they look the same at first glance, but wait!

I know all I looked at while flying was the drum. I suppose the subconscious uses the outer needle but the drum was everything. The C-130 had a note in the -1 saying to disregard the barber pole as it was not accurate - maybe that was an anomaly of that particular installation? Some moved, some didn't, but they were all disregarded.

Ken

Several military airplanes used this style, but we had them in Dash 8's as well. Loved the airplane as it was rock stable, but the airspeed was a snap to set, trim out and let the ol buzzard go right down the glideslope in the roughest Denver or Jackson Hole weather. I won't have any problem adjusting to it again in the K, but will have to see how the rest of the gang does. :-) JR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:43 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Well, it has been awhile since Miss K has been outside, but the team pulled her out for a wash job and got her all spiffy for her appearance tomorrow at Fall Fling. The gates open to the public at 9 am and it runs until 6 pm. There are a lot of cars signed up for the show as well as airplanes. We pulled the B-25, A-26 and DC-3 over to the display area this afternoon after all three got wash jobs. Even without her make up, K was all pretty and eager to show off all of her new parts and restoration work. So please come join us Saturday at Meacham Airport for a fun time for the whole family. There will be things to keep the kids busy like the "Bounce House" while you check out the cars and airplanes! All of the proceeds go to support the Greatest Generation Aircraft Non Profit Foundation which keeps our airplanes flying. Thanks in advance! JR

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 276  Next