Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 276  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:21 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Ain't she pretty? Took this angle right after we got her set up to welcome our guests. We took the left side canopy off so people could get into the seat from the steps we had on the side. Don't think most folks could make it up the original steps and hand holds on the right side. We are working to design an entry ladder from the bomb bay to the cockpit for us old guys and so we can conduct tours easier. JR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:29 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Our hangar mate, the CAF A-26 drew some attention as well. While both A-26's were not that far apart in the original production line, they are significantly different in their military and now civilian configurations. The CAF airplane was converted to an executive cabin with the sealing of the bomb bay. It was also lightened of all military equipment so she is quite the speedster. K on the other hand was rebuilt in 1965 by OnMark for the Air Force for counter insurgency work. She is very much in the original military configuration now. We don't have working .50 cal's or real napalm... but shsssh, don't tell the hogs. We will find a way!!! :-) The Ace Hog Extermination Company of Texas! JR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:33 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Mystery question of the week!!! What is the connection between this airplane and Special K? A friend sent this picture to me from the AOPA Convention. That is a clue!!! Now we shall see who the real warbird detectives are!! Let the games begin! JR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:05 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Like to also mention that we were pleased to see our ol buddy, Jason Barnett, up from Houston to visit. Jason is our resident artist and fabricator of "funny bombs" for our A-26 bomb bay. He took another look at the racks and lugs to make sure his measurements were still correct. We found some Type B11 shackles to hang our mock ups in the bay. The "funny bomb" as it was called was a leftover munition from WWII and was an early form of cluster type fire bomb that was very effective at making sure about 100 yards worth of trucks were converted to scrap metal on the "Trail" during the unpleasantness in SEA. We intend to paint squadron patches on the side of the fuselage of the various outfits that operated the K and from the Air Commando Association. Jason has volunteered to do these for us. We looked at the approximate size as being somewhere between 7 to 10 inches in height. These will commemorate the units that flew our airplane from 1965 to 1969. PS. Good thing we put the airplanes up tonight instead of Sun morning. Meacham got wind gusts up to 49 K and nearly 2 in of rain. Storm woke me up with all the continuous flashes of lightning and gusty winds. Sometimes you just get lucky. :-) JR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:04 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

MORE PHOTOS HERE:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47433

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:57 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

k5dh wrote:

OMG, Dean, I can't believe you put that picture of the lady in red... and black ..in your pic file and put a link to it here. She will turn you into... well, I can't say on WIX, but if you start getting the urge to grunt out noises that resemble "rivet" "rivet" and growing webs between your fingers and toes... I'm just sayin. You poor ..........d. If I were you, I would not make any appearances around the hangar until after Halloween. Maybe if you lay low, she won't find you. Beware of black contrails because the "broom" will be in search mode. Been nice knowing you. Let me know how it works out for you. Good luck!! JR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:28 pm 

Does anybody know the history of this airplane? Reason I asked, is that years ago a guy that lived here close to me in Va. had one almost identical to it, color scheme, kiwi bird and all. Someone said he had gotten it I think from New Zealand. Just wondering if it would happen to be the same plane. I used to see it fly over the house here.

http://www.coastcomp.com/av/florence/florandy.htm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:03 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Randy, yes indeedy, that is a genuine Kiwi airplane. It did serve in the NZ military back in the day. It is individually owned, but is hangared at VFM. It has recently been brought back to life after an extended period of down time. The paint job is authentic except for the checkerboard cowling I have been told. No way of telling though if it was the same airplane that you saw without a number or photo. Several were sold in NZ and brought back to the US. JR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:07 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

HMMMMM? Nobody has taken a stab at the Mystery Question about that Navy colored A-26 a few photos ago???? Not enough clues?? Too hard?? How about an easier one, but Randy, you already know the answer. What is the connection between the Red Bull/Felix B's new record parachute jump today and Special Kay??? If not answered by someone else in two days, Randy feel free to take a shot at it!! :-) Thanks, JR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:05 am 

You asked, "What is the connection between the Red Bull/Felix B's new record parachute jump today and Special Kay???"

Awe... that's easy. But I'm an former Nimrod (I humped bombs and guns on the flightline) so I'll give it a day or so too. I'll give everyone a hint... there's another former Nimrod involved.

Bob
Memories of Naked Fanny

609th Nimrod, Bomb loader, Gun Plumber, '68 - '69

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:26 am 

Found a picture of the Harvard that Pete Bryce owned up here. Has the same number on the side. Do you suppose there was more than one with the number 79 on it? Pete Bryce also owned a Lockheed Electra, among others.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:31 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hi Bob, there aren't many who know the connection, but you are definitely on the right track. Randy knows for sure as well. Guess I should give one more clue. Who was the A-26 pilot who had his fangs out so far at NKP that he even picked up all the glass bottles he could find, broke them up and put them in a box so that when he was out of ordnance, he could drop broken glass on the HCM Trail to give the NVA trucks a flat?? :drink3: JR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Randy, on the NZ T-6 question, that is the same airplane. If you look closely, you can tell that it has a Harvard wing on one side and a regular T-6 wing on the other. Probably from a ground loop incident at one time or other. T-6's have been known to do that once in a great while! :-) Looks like you have a connection to the airplane in our hangar. By the way, we have moved everything out of the hangar now for the 1940's dance. Looks like good weather for Sat night. Be a good time to come dance or enjoy the Big Band music. Our DC-3 will be offering rides over the night lights of Ft Worth. You can show up and get a ride ticket or schedule those with Dana at the phone number shown on our website: http://www.gga1.org. Can get tickets at the door for the dance or Google Vintage Flying Museum's website for their ticket info. It will be a fun time for all. Drop by the B-25 for a quick tour. It is behind the band stand as the back drop. She is all shiny and polished. Can't miss her. :-) JR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:56 pm 

========== Randy, on the NZ T-6 question, that is the same airplane. Looks like you have a connection to the airplane in our hangar.
=========
Well, I'm glad to hear that the plane is still being cared for. Used to enjoy seeing it fly over here. I could always tell it from the rest of the "flat" engines going by. I always wondered what happend to it when Pete died. He had a nice Electra that he took to the Albuquerque balloon fest quite a bit.
And yes, the "connection" question is an easy one. Someone should get that fairly soon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:26 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

A26 Special K wrote:
Mystery question of the week!!! What is the connection between this airplane and Special K? A friend sent this picture to me from the AOPA Convention. That is a clue!!! Now we shall see who the real warbird detectives are!! Let the games begin! JR

Both Special K and this Invader were owned by Lynch Airtankers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 276  Next