Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255 ... 276  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:17 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Probability is high that Kay will have engines running again next weekend. I am very hopeful of being there for it. While I've been stuck in Phoenix with an unexpected medical problem, I'm extremely grateful that the guys have soldiered on to get the airplane ready to taxi and enter flight testing soon after that. Many thanks to the Crew Chief and the rest of the team for bringing us this far. Once flying, we want to tell the story of the people who made history with it during the war in SE Asia. JR

Last edited by A26 Special K on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:03 pm 
KiwiZac

Make sure your own restoration goes smoothly JR!!!

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:09 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks Zac. The personal restoration is going slower than expected. Didn't make it back to the Republic. Perhaps Monday if the doc gets tired of me buggin' him. Meanwhile back at the ranch, Chuck has been kept busy with a lot of detail work. We are expecting a shipment of nose tires on Friday. These are hard to come by. The B-29 is still reported to be in the hangar with a problem. Odds are we will see it go out and we will get a run on Sat or Sun. Lastly, we want to send condolences to one of our team members, Tim, whose mother passed away this week. The loss is closely felt by the team. We are brothers in the cause.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:42 pm 

Today, Kay and FIFI had good maintenance runs. We have a couple of minor write ups. All in all the cockpit was thumbs up. Of course Kay was her stubborn self. We had liquid locks on No 1 and No 2. That will go away as we contemplate more frequent runs. FIFI has traded places with Diamond Lil. Once FIFI is on the road Kay will have easy access out of the hangar. Back tomorrow to adjust No 2 carb and clean plugs on No 1. Film at eleven.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:12 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Work continued today on writeups from the Saturday engine run. Pictures and videos will be posted on our Facebook page throughout this week. No FB membership or login required unless you want to comment or ask questions. If you like, you can do those here for answers. We hope to do another round of engine runs and possibly do some taxi trials next weekend. JR
http://www.facebook.com/a26specialkay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:10 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Just posted a picture of our A-26 running up on the same ramp as the B-29. Wonder how long it has been since that happened in the military setting? FiFi will probably leave out for the west coast tour the latter part of the week! We wish our hangar mates well! JR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:29 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Tuesday sees another productive effort by our "Day Shift" taking care of numerous details. More engine runs are planned for Saturday between 9 and 10 am Texas time at the VFM hangar/ramp. There are lots of active airplanes that we share the hangar with and among them, the CAF B-24 & A-26B. Those crews are working hard to be ready for the new season, just as we are. Drop on by for a looksee! JR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:08 pm 
KiwiZac

If I could, I would! Thanks for keeping us up to date JR!

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:01 pm 

Next to flying, today was Kay's greatest day since she's been in Fort Worth. Taxied all the way to the approach end of 16, the North end of Meacham) and did a run up. Very satisfied with the outcome. Kay wanted to jump those brakes. So I think she eager to take to the air. A little tweaking still to do on the left carb, and we'll try it again tomorrow morning. We also had a nice visit with Bob S, (N917Y) from Salt lake City. Bob and I have been communicating for several years. Was great to compare notes with him and Grandson Boston, as Bob has an On Mark A-26.

We are planning on completing the final pitot-static and transponder checks this week.

Now where did I leave all that cammo paint?

All we lack is finishing up (and paint)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:17 pm 

We backed up a bit this week. Lisa, our No 1 is giving us some challenges. May have to send the PR58 to the shop. Meanwhile, the pitot-static and transponder systems were certified this week. Now, if we can just get the structural repair finished and hang all the pieces back on the aircraft we can see how much she weighs.

All we lack is finishing up...

And a special hi yall to our friends at the worlds largest aircraft parts distributor.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:45 pm 

therealJR wrote:
And a special hi yall to our friends at the worlds largest aircraft parts distributor.

Thanks JR, I sure appreciate the great tour at your "day job". Next time I am down there, I want to get over to see Kay and where the real fun happens! Keep up the GREAT work my friend!

Steve Dennis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:00 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It's not every day that you see a K alongside a B-29. With six engines turning, it would make some beautiful noise. Didn't get to make that happen although the engines were run at different times last week. Kay continues her ways of being stubborn. Be sure to check out our Facebook page for the latest updates. No login required. http://www.facebook.com/a26specialkay. It is going to be a great week in the Republic. JR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:00 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Good news on the carb repair. It is ready to put back on the left engine Saturday. Might get another chance to run it and see if the problems have been resolved. Meanwhile, the CAF A-26 was pulled out for some crew training last weekend. We just posted a video of the engine start on our Facebook page. Maybe Kay will get the hint. ❤❤

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Left carb reinstalled. New nosewheel and tire should be ready this coming weekend for installation. A fuel level transmitter failed muster in the right main tank. An overhauled unit was located so that tank will be emptied but that is needed anyway to do a weight and balance report. IFR certification for the transponder and pitot-static system was completed. High speed taxi tests can't be far away!! Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:32 pm 
KiwiZac

A26 Special K wrote:
High speed taxi tests can't be far away!! Stay tuned.

:supz:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255 ... 276  Next