Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 276  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:40 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hi David... no, we have not placed it in a clear case yet. Been thinking about getting a case big enough for several other models we are going to acquire soon. I will be sure to let you know and post a picture when we get that squared away. Thanks again for your contribution. We are at the point of looking closely at the paint detail and your model will sure help the painters understand what we are talking about. Regards, JR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:48 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Work has begun on the B25 at last. The new engine is about ready to go so removal of the old one is taking place this week. Sheet metal work and several repairs are planned so this may take awhile and some of our metal wizards on K will no doubt contribute some needed expertise and skills to the B25 for a period of time. Everybody keep your fingers crossed that the airplane will be back in the air by the summer!! Can you imagine a flyover of Kyle Field at Texas A & M with a formation of the B25, A26 and maybe even the DC3?? That would be awesome!! Then we could bop over to the stadium and watch Johnny Football do his thing with all those wonderful guys backing him up. Teamwork, it is a beautiful thang!! Cheers, JR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:11 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Greetings from NJ again. Been on the road so pardon the lack of updates. There is much to talk about and pictures to post. When I get to the hotel later, will get busy and put some new things up. In the meantime, the B25 report is good. The engine, prop, gear and nacelle have been removed and the sheet metal wizards are doing their thing. We should have her back flying before long with a newly overhauled engine to boot. Sheesh, overhauls are not getting any cheaper. The A26 needs one engine overhauled before long as well. Will have to run it and see if the compression returns to normal. Most likely it will. It has just been sitting too long. We have been collaborating with our CAF neighbors in the hangar with their A26 and a couple of other A26 outfits in OK to attend a pilot ground school in Enid in Feb. Although this gs is for the stock airplane, about 95% applies to the K so we will partake of the opportunity. Can't know too much about an airplane and its systems, right? More later, Sleepless in Parsippany, JR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:26 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Sometimes, you open a can of worms and go fishing. In the case of the removal of the instrument panel in K, it just looks like a can of worms. Our avionics guys say they have a handle on making this mess look presentable again. All of the hoses are being replaced and they are taking a careful look at the wiring and C plugs. Looks like a little bit of potential wearing on the wire bundle where it was resting on the rudder carryover tube between the two sets of rudder pedals. Glad we caught that. There were a couple of wires that were just hanging loose and not connected to anything. All of the electrical system is going to be run down and repaired as needed, but will stick to the original wiring as much as possible. We are still struggling to figure out a way to mount modern radios without messing up the original panel as well. Larry, Rand and Stan have a big job ahead on figuring this out. Ahhh, the joy of aircraft restoration!! :-) Wishing I was back in Texas, JR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:27 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The guys got the left side instrument panel cleaned up and primed. Several of the instruments are still in the shop getting new glass or markings. The original style instruments were found and we will replace them where non military instruments were substituted along the way. As you can see, this panel is plum full. It has several more instruments besides those used in WWII. It still has the pilot PDI that was used to signal deviations from the desired course on the bomb run when the airplane had a glass nose and bombardier. Since the airplane was a B model and had a gun nose during WWII, we are left wondering why it still had this instrument installed. The only time it had a glass nose was when delivered from OnMark with both gun and glass noses, but the glass was set up for recon cameras. Anybody have the inside story here?? About to get snow in Parsippany tonight. I hate having to watch for Snow Snakes. They hide beneath the snow and only their little red eyes can be seen. Deadly critters. This is one species that should have been exterminated. At least our Texas Rattlesnakes rattle before they strike. Snow Snakes are so sneaky....kinda like a few politicians around these parts! :-( JR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:44 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

David L and Big Mike worked on our "blaster" to get the instrument panel cleaned and started again on the right main wheel well stripping. This side does not have all the layers of paint that the left side did and we are hoping with the new plastic media that we will get it done much quicker. Our resident Nimrod pilot supervised. Sure nice to have Joe M drop by frequently and help out. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:12 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

While I am on the expedition to NJ, Hawkeye fixed lunch for the guys last Saturday. They had a good ol Texas home food just to make me envious... yep, chili pie. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. To add insult to injury, Hawkeye is threatenin to make Jambalaya next Saturday. Hmmmm...JR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:16 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Of course, our Floor Mgr, Inu, had to sample the chili pie and pronounce it suitable for human consumption before the guys dove in. He emptied the bowl almost in one gulp I'm told. Can't says I blame him. Can't believe I missed out. Lonesome in NJ, JR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Arnold, JR and company got the hydraulic mule built and working.Yup, nearly time to start rigging and swinging the left main gear under hydraulic pressure. Arnold is building a rigging fixture for the downlock assembly that has to be bench checked before installation and testing the gear. Our system is set up where we can do one gear at a time rather than using the ship's hydraulic system.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The real JR has pulled another rabbit out of his hat and obtained some replacement shock mounts for the instrument panel. She should ride smooth as ..... well, smooth as those 2800's and big props will allow. :-) The other JR, from beauitiful downtown Parsippany, or is it Whippany? I am so confused. Maybe it is Morristown. They all look alike round these parts. Oh crud, there is a sign saying Hanover Township. I'm lost. Where is the GPS when I need it?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:52 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The right side gear switch has been all spiffied up and just about ready to be installed again. More pics later. Gotta go check for Snow Snakes. JR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:30 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hey Jim, didja know that it snowed here in Dallas this morning? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:09 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Dean, yep, I heard it snowed in the Republic. The thing is that it snowed here in NJ and allowed the Snow Snakes to come out of hibernation. They are different than most reptiles. When it gets hot, they go deep underground and only make their appearance when the ground is cold and covered with snow. They slither under the snow so as to be undetectable since they are rather small. Their range is from the eastern Dakota's to NJ. They prey on small rodents and birds, but have been known to bite humans. If they get their little fangs into flesh, the bite is deadly. A fella just has to be careful walking on snow around these parts and keep a lookout for those two little beady red eyes in the snow. They kinda remind me of those little vipers that Randy talked about on the ramp at NKP back in the A26 days... only they were cold-blooded. I suspect Snow Snakes must be warm-blooded to some extent. They are the Great White Sharks of the snow world. Lunch is over so back to class. Cheers, JR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:29 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Well gang, Ray called me from the Republic today to tell me that another big hole in the history of our K got filled today. He was all excited that one of our visitors in the hangar was the guy who was involved in rebuilding our airplane after the accident in Georgia many years ago. Besides stories, our visitor had pictures of her during this time. He said it took a lot of work to get her in the air again. This is just another miracle for us. All of the things that happened to the airplane and yet she continues on her mission.... and people, things and $$ keep showing up just when we need them to keep us going in the restoration and return to flight.
Fortunately for me, I am escaping from NJ tomorrow afternoon before the Arctic cold air hits on Sunday and getting back to the Republic in time to enjoy the 60's... and no Snow Snakes to worry about it! Live from Neeeew York, it's JR Stay tuned... hope to post some of those pictures when we get them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:54 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Well, we have talked about the string of miracles that have kept K alive, but another one came visiting this weekend. Way back when the State of Georgia was selling her to an air tanker outfit in Canada, the ferry pilot crash landed her on the first "go around the patch" flight. That's another story. The interesting part is that it took someone nearly a year of hard work and fast talking to convince his boss to save the airplane and save it, he did. Meet Rob Stuessy from Denver, Co. He is an old Montana boy who worked for Denny Lynch back in the air tanker days. His brother Brad also worked for Denny, but now is a 777 Captain for AA. Rob works for UA in Denver. While I was still enjoying the environs of NJ and had to miss the visit, Ray and JR got the scoop on the story. They think it is worth a tremendous amount to us in terms of figuring out why things are they way they are and some things don't seem to line up. For instance, the hatch on the back crew compartment doesn't seem to quite fit. Seems someone "borrowed" the original as a keepsake while it was awaiting disposition. Another A26 door was used to replace it. We are so lucky more stuff did not disappear. But anyway, we deeply appreciate Rob and Brad stopping by to share their experiences with us. Hope to report more about their adventures before long. JR

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 276  Next