Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264 ... 276  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:54 pm 

Good progress today on both tip tanks. Larry & Tim just about have all the new fuel lines installed in the left wing. Left tip tanks sections are at the welding shop. Right tank is disassembled, boost pump and SOV will be sent to the overhaul shop. 50 hour check is progressing.

All we lack is finishing up...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:59 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Another beautiful day in the Republic! Our team was a little smaller today compared to yesterday, but we still made progress on the tip tank system. They are coming along as well as can be expected for something that hasn’t been used probably since 1969. One of the fuel hoses in the left wing actually pulled apart when pulled on to remove. It was that rotten from all the years of exposure. Both wings are being fitted with brand new hoses. Everything is being overhauled and resealed. It will give us another 330 gallons of gas available besides the 800 we have now. The replacement Aux fuel tank should be showing up soon. We are planning on making the June 23 VN Memorial overflight at the Museum of Flight in Seattle. This extra gas will come in handy. We may take the northern route up through Billings, her old campsite, to Missoula and then on to Seattle’s Boeing Field. We have two other routes in mind if the weather doesn’t cooperate. Stay tuned and check our Facebook page for more details as we get closer. http://www.facebook.com/a26specialkay
Finally got to see the article in the March 2018 edition of “Warbirds International” magazine. There are some great pictures of the crash damage and saving the airplane long before we took on the project. There is one error though. It suggested sending donations to the A26 Legacy Foundation, however, that organization is no longer active. We are no longer associated with it. If you wish to donate or buy a T shirt, please PM me for info on how to do that. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:19 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

To those who are wondering, yes, we are considering bringing Kay to Oshkosh. We are actively seeking sponsors and donations to help with the expenses. It will take nearly $20K for the fuel and oil. Suggestions for potential sponsors would be appreciated. Donations are tax deductible since we are a 501c3 organization.Please post here or PM me. Thanks! JR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Progress was a little slow this weekend with the cold and freezing rain slowing things down. Planning continues on getting the tip tanks operational and we are waiting for the new Aux tank to arrive. Discussions are beginning on what shows we might attend. We have a hunch that with the price of fuel rising again that airshows may have to cut back on who they can invite. An airshow is an easy way to lose money if there are no sponsors to take up the slack from gate receipts. Since it supposed to be where the whole family might attend, the ticket price can’t be too high or attendance suffers. Most airshow directors have figured this out though and are doing good jobs keeping the show in business.

Big airplanes like Kay gobble up 100LL like there is no tomorrow, hence may be prohibitive to bring if the show doesn’t buy the gas. Oshkosh is an example. The EAA only pays for gas when the airplane performs in the show. It does not cover the $20,000 to get there and back. We have to find sponsors and donations to make it there. So now we have to scratch our heads to figure out if we can pull this off. Or does anybody really care if they see Kay at Oshkosh?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:55 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Gas is always a big part of attending any event. I'd love to see "Kay" but then I am not going to Oshkosh either. . . any chance of talking Hill AFB into bringing her to their show in June?!

Tom P.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:04 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Do you guys sell rides ?
I think that's one of the few ways to make an extra buck.

Good luck,
Phil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

We are looking at selling rides, but there are 3 big stumbling blocks: need an FAA Exemption for Life History Flight Experiences, affordable insurance costs and more seats. These add up to make it just about over the limit of what somebody, we would guess, might want to pay for the ride. So let’s do a survey here. What would be a reasonable amount that anybody would be willing to pay to ride in Kay for 30 minutes in the air?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:56 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

$400/500

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:42 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

phil65 wrote:
$400/500

Phil

Exactly. And I don't need a hat or leather jacket to go along with the experience. A photo of me in the airplane, signed by the pilot (or his smokin' hot girlfriend) would be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:27 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

As for more seats. I once read (in Jane's All The World Aircraft I think...) on the B-26K that On-Mark had plans to make among other things, a VIP version with a semi- permanent floor which could double for medevac duties. I have never seen a photo of this set- up so don't know if this idea was ever put into reality. Anyone know? That would have solved your seating problems!

T J

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:08 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Yeah - probably $350 - $450 is about right. I am all for the smoking hot crew member as well but I have yet to ever see that in real life.

Tom P.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:39 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Guess who has an invitation to appear at Oshkosh in the 2018 “Warbirds in Review” spotlight. Our crew and vets will be interviewed by former “Good Morning America” host, David Hartman.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:19 am 

A26 Special K wrote:
Guess who has an invitation to appear at Oshkosh in the 2018 “Warbirds in Review” spotlight. Our crew and vets will be interviewed by former “Good Morning America” host, David Hartman.

I'm looking forward to seeing this!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

We had a bad scare on the left tip tank that we sent out to a welding shop for repair. The job was botched and we were quoted a ridiculous price to cut out the bad section and fabricate a new section by another machine shop. Ed found a machine shop that was willing to help us out and competent to do the job at reasonable cost. He picked it up this morning and it appears to be saved. Our metal magician Ray will need to massage the repair a little bit and pick up holes for three nutplates that were covered over. Meanwhile, plans are under way for the Seattle trip in June and Oshkosh in July. More investigation into alternative paint shops is underway. Our original plan has not worked out but one way or the other, she will have paint before Seattle in June. Keep your fingers crossed! Drop by and see us every weekend at the Vintage Flying Museum Hangar in Fort Worth. Check out our FB page. http://www.facebook.com/a25specialkay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:38 pm 

I'm guessing your planned paint shop is on Meacham? I found this one in Longview some time back. They recently repainted Texas Raiders and a T-28 for Scott Glover. Based on the way those two paint jobs turned out, I'd say they are quite capable of accurately doing the K model. Might be worth checking out. http://www.aerosmithaviation.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264 ... 276  Next