Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146 ... 276  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:58 pm 

Jr:
I didn't get a chance to be down where the Ks were on Contractor's Row very often during the work day but did manage to take the "long way around" and drop in there a few times when I was sent on an errand from my shop (the base hydraulic shop). The OnMark guys treated me to lunch one day and I got to ask them a lot of questions. They were very pleased at how their was K performing for the testing. What impresed me the most about the K was how great they had modified the cockpit.
Every now and then I would see the orange and white (or, all orange?) Cornell University's A-26 in one of our hangars for trainees at the Test Pilot School (headed by [then] Col. Chuck Yeager) to fly. They had it set up electronically with a joy stick on the right side (if my memory is correct) to be able to simulate flying some sort of space craft. Seems like I heard it crashed in later years. Woodie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:53 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Woodie: yes, indeedy there was an A26 at Edwards that was used in the test pilot school back in the day. It had variable stability and control features to explore the performance envelope and let the students gain experience with an airplane that didn't fly like an A26 or anything else that the normal pilot might strap on. One of my friends who went thru the school as a flight test engineer was in the A26 the week or so before it went out of control and crashed. He lost several friends and classmates in that accident. He went on to become the chief flight test engineer on the B-1A project before it was cancelled by Carter. This kinda put him out of a job in the AF so he applied to NASA was selected as an astronaut. Later, he started the construction of the International Space Station and has been thru seven launches of the Shuttle. Not a bad career, I'd say. He has written a new book about his life experiences if you are interested. Google Jerry Ross, Spacewalker or check Amazon. Hope you enjoy it!
Cheers, JR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:58 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I mentioned that the guys who have been working on the doghouse canopy were ready to see how it fit last weekend, so here is what they found... fits perfectly. So once the doghouse gets painted and the equipment installed, they can connect the dots to put it in permanently. Then the long glass panels can be installed and everything zipped up. With all the cracks and corrosion on the canopy unit, we were very lucky that everything was such that it could be fixed. Or at least Ray and the guys made it look easy. :-) JR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:56 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Major James Sizemore will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery on Monday, Sept 23. He and Maj Howard Andre were lost in July 1969 in the crash of their A-26A in Laos. The remains were recently recovered and brought home. This crew is the last of the missing Nimrods. Welcome home. Our heartfelt condolences to his son James and the rest of the families. James recently visited K and if you go back a few pages, you will see how closely he resembles his dad. It is a remarkable story. JR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:46 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The cockpit crew removed the copilot's yoke in anticipation of installing a push to talk switch and got a big surprise. The pins that were supposed to hold the yoke in place were missing. It would have been like a cartoon if the copilot had just pulled up on it because the whole thing would have come off the pedestal in his hands. Surprise! And then that time could not be logged as second in command! :-) Anyway, there should be no problem installing the PTT. When the yoke goes back in, we will make sure the pins are installed to hold it in place! Just goes to show that we can't take anything for granted on the ol gal! We figured out she is now 68 years old even though she got a complete make over 48 years ago. Kinda overdue. JR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:48 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

And this is where the yoke is mounted on the right side... look for the box like structure with what looks like aluminum foil on it... JR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:52 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Larry and Rand are showing Arnold their latest work on the instrument panel. Word from the shop today was encouraging in that the avionics wiring harnesss is under way. Perhaps we will get it soon so the panel can be installed. Arnold will have to do the last checks before we give the system the smoke test. We also have to find a way to install a master avionics switch and disguise it so it doesn't detract from the original. I'm sure they can figure it out. :-) JR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:59 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Arnold, Brandon, Ed and Denis have all worked on getting our crane ready for the big lift soon on the engines and props. It is running fine now and the crane is fully operational. It will be tested on smaller loads before we try a 2800 on it. It is rated to 30,000 lbs though so no problems are expected unless it malfunctions or something. We asked Arnold what we should name the crane. This close to Halloween, what else could he say... "Ichabod" I suppose we should find a good nose art artist to do the honors! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:13 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

How about "Whopping" what with the health scare going around now

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:46 pm 

You mean 'Whooping'? As in Whooping Crane? I like Ichabod!! :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:22 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I think Ober meant as "Whooping Cough", Hawkeye... He must have heard it when we tried to start it before Arnold and Brandon worked the poor thang over. "Whooping crane" would mean we would need to paint it white with black markings on the wings?? "Ichabod" would mean we could paint it ghostly white. Personally I like yellow, but Hawkeye, et al, will probably vote for olive drab, huh? How about AF Blue? Or maybe we should try out black on the bottom and 3 tone SEA camo on the top like the airplane?? Be good practice!! :-) JR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:27 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Ray, with a little help from his friends, has the doghouse canopy looking really good. All the hatch handles are placarded and painted. It's a beautiful thang. Just need to fit and trim the new glass to go in the frame. :-) JR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:32 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Our spare nosewheel came back from the overhaul shop with a better report than the first one we sent so we are going to make it our flight nose wheel. We got back a bad report on the nose tire we sent to have recapped though. No can do. So we are on the hunt for a 36 SC or diamond tread that we can recap to SC. Any solid leads would be appreciated. This same nose tire is used on the B24, B29 and P-38 mains. Thanks!
JR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:53 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Doghouse prep includes removal of all the radio equipment and camera controls that need to be out of the way so that paint can be applied in the area. They will be re-installed once this is done. Jaime has done a fine job in finishing up the prep that was started by Filipe before he moved to Colorado to work since AA shut down the heavy maintenance facility at Alliance Airport near here. Word is that another company is going to open there so maybe he can come back if he wants. Anyway, we hope to start painting soon. The heavy rain today though will mean putting it off for awhile. Humidity is too high and temperature... gasp... is too low. How can that be here in the Lone Star Republic in September? :-) JR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:21 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Some folks who install an avionics master also add an alternate master so that the failure of one switch doesn't disable everything. I only mention because it sounds like you still have a little time to decide on how y'all are gonna rig it up and maybe this is something you've already considered.

Ken

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146 ... 276  Next