Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: B-26K Counter-Invader Restoration ("Special K")

Thu May 11, 2017 8:31 am

Harvey... hummmmm. At great risk I have to tell you I met Harvey when I was a little boy. You see, my friend Buckeye introduced me to him. Buckeye is Harvey's cousin. My mother told me all about Buckeye, but at first I was skeptical. One of the things I never liked was cauliflower. My mother told me that Buckeye would bring me something better to eat. He brought me "Rabbit Shrub" and it was mmmmm-mmmmm good. From that time on I knew Buckeye had been to visit me because he left some Rabbit Shrub.

One of the things I learned over the years was that Buckeye was always looking out for me and others... that's what pookas do. Buckeye has volunteered to help Harvey keeping Kay safe. He could guard Mona and Harvey could guard Lisa. He says he will be there as soon as you get rid of the latest gremlins. (As you know, pookas can't get rid of gremlins. They can only keep them from coming back.

You will be sure to recognize Buckeye when he gets there. He looks a great deal like Harvey... the exact same height (six foot, three and a half inches) and the exact same "complexion".

I'll be there to pick Buckeye up when Kay returns to flight.

Sat May 13, 2017 1:17 pm

Bob, thanks for the loan of Buckeye. Can't hardly tell the difference between him & Harvey. Our guys are in the middle of pulling the first cylinder today. Anxious to see what was causing it to lose oil. Valve guide is high on the culprits list. I am in Phoenix today so missing all the fun. We are almost ready to weigh the airplane, do one last gear swing and see if she will agree to commit aviation. Stay tuned! JR

Sun May 14, 2017 8:04 am

We changed out the No 16 cylinder & piston assembly. Next up is No 17. Both were pushing a lot of oil out the stacks. While all this was going on we had a special visit from our friend Steve, from the land of Lambeau. Steve's been a long time Wix'er and follower of Kay. Great when our faithful followers get some "hands on." Larry, aka "avionics extraordinaire" conducted a detailed tour of the cockpit. Ed and a couple of trainee's, Aaron and Ayamae' (aka ATM) installed the left inboard gear door. At 14, ATM aspires to become an engineer. We are fortunate to have Sheila (Aeronautical engineer) and Howard (ME) spend some time mentoring ATM. Thanks

Later in the Day, Jim and Pushy helped rescue our neighbors T craft from an embarrassing breakdown on the North end of the active.

all in a days work... all we lack is finishing up

Happy Mothers Day

Sun May 14, 2017 10:02 pm

I sure had a great time JR!

Thanks for the great hospitality! I'm really looking forward to the next time I get back in town. You guys are so close to the finish line!

Take care my friend,

Steve

Tue May 16, 2017 1:36 pm

Looks great guys! A true air warrior that deserves this tlc

Tue May 16, 2017 7:06 pm

Erik Johnston posted a great walk around of your B-26K on youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEfomPh_-p8

Wed May 17, 2017 8:16 am

Just watched Erik Johnston's walkaround video and had a question. Sorry if this was already answered and I missed it!
Why are there vortex generators just forward of the rudder only on the right side of the vertical stabilizer?
Thanks and watching your progress both here and on facebook hoping each post will be good news!

Wed May 17, 2017 2:26 pm

Vortex generators and a metalized rudder one foot wider was added to handle the extra horsepower added to the airframe. The left engine is the critical engine. If it fails, more right rudder is needed to keep the airplane from turning. VG's energize the airflow over the right rudder to make it more effective. The thrust line of the right engine is farther from the centerline of the airplane so it has more P factor than the left. If you need more ask again. Thanks, JR

Wed May 17, 2017 9:24 pm

Exactly what I wanted to know! Great explanation! Keeping fingers crossed on both hands for you guys!

Sun May 21, 2017 7:44 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-factor

Sun May 21, 2017 10:41 pm

It was a good weekend to work. Got two cylinders changed on Mona that were slinging oil. The retractable ladder on the right side got painted red. Preparations are being made to weigh the airplane. Hoping to do an engine run and maybe do a high speed test down the runway next weekend. Need to do a gear swing to verify the doors are closing properly. Our to-do list is getting really short for the first flight. That will be a glorious day!!

Mon May 29, 2017 11:04 pm

We are weighing the lady on Tues of this week. We are anxious to see where the empty CG falls and where we will be in the loaded envelope. Our Mk 82 replicas are about ready for delivery to us to add to our growing ordnance load. Of course we won't test fly with any excess drag or weight, but they should look cool later. Looking to add some other things to the pile! We only have half of the pylons filled. An SUU-14 submunitions dispenser would be great. A flare dispenser or rocket pod would round out the load nicely. Until the next news bulletin, we return you to our regular programming. JR

Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:18 pm

Tim & Chuck worked all day Friday finishing up changing push rod seals's etc., on Mona. Severe storms been passing thru North Texas all day, dropping lots of well needed rain. More forecast for tomorrow. Dang it! Flooded streets remind me of Bangkok. May put a damper on our morning run down the runway.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:03 pm

My flight on AA is delayed 3 hours for departure to PHX, so I probably absorbed any delays for the run down the runway tomorrow. That's the way it works, right? It's that balance of nature thing. Hate to miss the run but duty calls! Maybe my turn will be next Sunday. Be sure to check out our Facebook page for the latest video & pics. Facebook.com/a26specialkay

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:56 pm

A26 Special K wrote:Be sure to check out our Facebook page for the latest video & pics. http://www.facebook.com/a26specialkay

Long day, eh amigo? Link tweaked..
Post a reply