Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Warbird Digest
Final Cut-The Post War B-17 Flying Fortress and Survivors - 5th Edition

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:04 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Do you guys sell rides ?
I think that's one of the few ways to make an extra buck.

Good luck,
Phil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

We are looking at selling rides, but there are 3 big stumbling blocks: need an FAA Exemption for Life History Flight Experiences, affordable insurance costs and more seats. These add up to make it just about over the limit of what somebody, we would guess, might want to pay for the ride. So let’s do a survey here. What would be a reasonable amount that anybody would be willing to pay to ride in Kay for 30 minutes in the air?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:56 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

$400/500

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:42 pm 
Group Captain

phil65 wrote:
$400/500

Phil

Exactly. And I don't need a hat or leather jacket to go along with the experience. A photo of me in the airplane, signed by the pilot (or his smokin' hot girlfriend) would be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:27 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

As for more seats. I once read (in Jane's All The World Aircraft I think...) on the B-26K that On-Mark had plans to make among other things, a VIP version with a semi- permanent floor which could double for medevac duties. I have never seen a photo of this set- up so don't know if this idea was ever put into reality. Anyone know? That would have solved your seating problems!

T J

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:08 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Yeah - probably $350 - $450 is about right. I am all for the smoking hot crew member as well but I have yet to ever see that in real life.

Tom P.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:39 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Guess who has an invitation to appear at Oshkosh in the 2018 “Warbirds in Review” spotlight. Our crew and vets will be interviewed by former “Good Morning America” host, David Hartman.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:19 am 
Wing Commander

A26 Special K wrote:
Guess who has an invitation to appear at Oshkosh in the 2018 “Warbirds in Review” spotlight. Our crew and vets will be interviewed by former “Good Morning America” host, David Hartman.

I'm looking forward to seeing this!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

We had a bad scare on the left tip tank that we sent out to a welding shop for repair. The job was botched and we were quoted a ridiculous price to cut out the bad section and fabricate a new section by another machine shop. Ed found a machine shop that was willing to help us out and competent to do the job at reasonable cost. He picked it up this morning and it appears to be saved. Our metal magician Ray will need to massage the repair a little bit and pick up holes for three nutplates that were covered over. Meanwhile, plans are under way for the Seattle trip in June and Oshkosh in July. More investigation into alternative paint shops is underway. Our original plan has not worked out but one way or the other, she will have paint before Seattle in June. Keep your fingers crossed! Drop by and see us every weekend at the Vintage Flying Museum Hangar in Fort Worth. Check out our FB page. http://www.facebook.com/a25specialkay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:38 pm 
Flight Lieutenant

I'm guessing your planned paint shop is on Meacham? I found this one in Longview some time back. They recently repainted Texas Raiders and a T-28 for Scott Glover. Based on the way those two paint jobs turned out, I'd say they are quite capable of accurately doing the K model. Might be worth checking out. http://www.aerosmithaviation.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:55 pm 
Pilot Officer

We spoke to them last year. They have no interest in painting any warbirds.

Next.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:09 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Well, I’ve had problems with a pesky Amazon “winner” banner every time I’ve tried to post something for the last week. It locks up my puter. Have to go all the way out of WIX to make it go away. But a lot of good things have been happening for Kay in the last couple of weeks. Both tip tanks were removed, given TLC and one is re-installed on the wing while the other one will be ready this w/e. We had a bad scare with it. Sent it out for a welding repair and the shop botched the job. After we picked ourselves up off the ground, calmer minds went about finding a machine shop that knew how to fix it. Then our master metalsmith Ray pulled it all together. This allowed the team to re-mate the repaired half with the other section. That bare left wing tip sure is calling out for cover. That should happen Saturday. Meanwhile, the Day Shift has been pulling two jugs on the left engine and installing newly rebuilt. We have a good start on replacing all of the cylinders probably by next winter as a goal. The DC-3 will be going with us to Oshkosh in July so we can get as many of our team members there as possible so it got a lot of TLC during this Spring Break week. The T-33 also got equipped with ADS-B equipment today. It is about ready to fly again. Kay is also waiting on a new Aux Fuel tank to arrive for the right wing. We got a picture of the tank today in manufacture and it is looking close. We are hoping that the paint job can be started in early May. We have a commitment to do a flyover at the Museum of Flight in Seattle for the opening of their new VN Airman Memorial on Jun 23. Need her to be all spiffy for that showing! JR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It was a good week in Texas! The T-33 had a successful after maintenance flight and the DC-3 dropped a bunch of paratroopers at Sherman on Saturday. Work continued on Kay. The tip tanks only need fuel level sensors installed to be operational. The left engine has two more new cylinders and all of the valves are set. Still waiting on delivery of the new Aux tank so we can close up the wing. We should be flying again during the first half of May. Paint is getting close. Yay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:35 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Kay is coming together again. She is maybe a month away from flying. Still waiting on the replacement fuel tank. The tip tanks are close to being operational. The paint shop is close to giving us a date that will allow us to do the flyover in living color at the VN Memorial opening at the Museum of Flight in Seattle. It is evolving into a major gathering of VN era aircraft so Kay will be in very good company indeed. Helicopters and jet fighters are in the mix. Save June 23 for the big day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:17 pm 
Pilot Officer

First run after winter maintenance was a Sunday so-so success. No 2 carburetor has to go back across the bench. Tip tanks are finally installed, we don't believe we will have any issues. Should transfer some fuel this week. A few minor issues to work through. No 2 aux tank is headed our way for a first fitting. Not totally enamored with the shop's performance or customer service. This is what happens when you dont have the five mil checkbook or the newly minted mustang.

All we lack is finishing up!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3977 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266  Next