Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:42 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The new issue of Warbird Digest has a fantastic article about Kay! Y'all are getting lots of well-deserved publicity.

Crew Chief, NAA F-86F Sabre 52-4689
Vintage Flying Museum
Fort Worth, Republic of Texas

"The thing of it is, it is what it is." - some TV reporter talking about damage from Hurricane Irma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:23 am 
Group Captain

ive been meaning to ask....i'm a modeler is there a company i can contact for decals of "special K"?.......i want to build a model of her.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:24 am 
Group Captain

ive been meaning to ask....i'm a modeler is there a company i can contact for decals of "special K"?.......i want to build a model of her.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:23 pm 
Flight Sergeant

There are no models specifically of Kay. You would have to come to the VFM or one of the places that a K model is on display and take pictures. Italieri made a K model kit that you can still find sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:22 pm 
Corporal

there is a old conversion set in 1/48 for a K conversion for the revellogram A-26, but it's exterior only and does not have two pilot configuration cockpit. be pretty cool though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:57 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Special Kay will be on static display at the Fort Worth Alliance Airshow this coming w/e 12-14 Oct. The Thunderbirds and Snowbirds will be performing. There is a great line up of other performers. See their website for more info. Then on Sat 20 Oct, the Vintage Flying Museum will host a Big Band 1940’s Hangar Dance where Kay will be the backdrop. The following weekend, Kay will be performing in the CAF Wings over Dallas Airshow. This will be our last show this year. Don’t miss one of these great opportunities to see and hear some great performances! See you there!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:44 am 
Sergeant

DSC_3002_edit by Jelle Hieminga, on Flickr
Kay was out on the apron last Saturday. As I was on a tight (self-imposed) schedule, I didn't hang around all that long but I did enjoy my visit to the museum!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

One day got rained out for the Alliance Airshow but the last day turned out well. A full show was flown. Never get tired of watching the Snowbirds and Thunderbirds perform. An F-35 tore up the skies doing things that looked unnatural for airplanes to do. Be sure to check YouTube for the videos on it.
This coming Saturday, the 20th, Kay will be on display at the VFM’s annual 1940’s Hangar Dance. Check out how to get discounted tickets on the website if you would like to attend. www.vintageflyingmuseum.org
The following weekend is the CAF Wings over Dallas show. Kay will Be flying in that one along with the T-33.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:49 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Our next appearance is at the CAF Wings Over Dallas airshow this coming w/e, Oct 26-28. Kay will fly with another A-26 with a full pyro beatup of DALLAS Executive Airport or Redbird as it was formerly called. See the website for more info, http://www.wingsoverdallas.org

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:53 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Perfect weather prevailed all three days of Wings over Dallas. Kay flew solo in the show on Fri and Sat. On Sunday, we had a Bomber Conga line led by a B-17 and followed by B-24, B-25, two A-26’s and the B-29 bringing up the end. Overhead were a pair of P-51’s, P-63 and Hellcat. Don’t reckon this lineup has been seen in some time. Had a grand time meeting people and showing the airplane. The T-33 also got to make some passes as a “Glimpse into the Future.” The P-80 first flew in 1944 so it is considered to be a WW2 airplane with the T-33 first being dubbed the P-80C in 1948 when the need for a trainer became evident. Now that we are finished with the season, we will start winter maintenance this coming Saturday at the Vintage Flying Museum Hangar. Come see us if you are in the vicinity. We will be there working most weekends until mid March.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:19 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I got to see her being painted and she is gorgeous.

Here are some Special K shots from Wings Over Dallas.

From Friday on the ground:

DSC00542 by Ryan Short, on Flickr

From Saturday:

B-26K Special Kay at Wings Over Dallas 2018 by Ryan Short, on Flickr

There are more photos in the Flickr album here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmuVxvn7 but expect them to be gone in about a month thanks to Flickr's new policies.

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:52 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Nice shots Ryan! Thx, if you wouldn’t mind, please post your photo of Kay in the pass with the bombbay doors open. Would like to post it on our Facebook page with your permission. If anybody else has a similar shot, please PM me or post here. This is the first time we have opened them at a show. They have been tested previously, but we weren’t sure how well they showed up from the ground. We naturally slowed down the first time and worked our way up gradually on speed to see how they behaved. We don’t have the bay spoilers that the original used to disturb the airflow in the bay. At speeds above 240, the flow kept the bombs from dropping out. Spoilers resolved that problem. We have the drawings and could build the spoiler system, but since we aren’t dropping anything besides pumpkins, there is no rush to complete them. We have started winter maintenance so there is a big list of things we want to do before our show season starts in March. Replacing the right Aux fuel tank is the biggest item since the wing has to be opened up. Stay tuned and check out our FB pg. No membership required to view. http://www.facebook.com/a26specialkay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:36 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

I've always loved the Counter-Invaders best, and this is a beautiful example.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.
And if your doing your holiday shopping on Amazon, consider using the Amazon links on the site to start your shopping, it doesn't cost you anything and helps the site out.
Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.
SUPPORT WIX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:50 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

A26 Special K wrote:
Nice shots Ryan! Thx, if you wouldn’t mind, please post your photo of Kay in the pass with the bombbay doors open. Would like to post it on our Facebook page with your permission. If anybody else has a similar shot, please PM me or post here. This is the first time we have opened them at a show. They have been tested previously, but we weren’t sure how well they showed up from the ground. We naturally slowed down the first time and worked our way up gradually on speed to see how they behaved. We don’t have the bay spoilers that the original used to disturb the airflow in the bay. At speeds above 240, the flow kept the bombs from dropping out. Spoilers resolved that problem. We have the drawings and could build the spoiler system, but since we aren’t dropping anything besides pumpkins, there is no rush to complete them. We have started winter maintenance so there is a big list of things we want to do before our show season starts in March. Replacing the right Aux fuel tank is the biggest item since the wing has to be opened up. Stay tuned and check out our FB pg. No membership required to view. http://www.facebook.com/a26specialkay

Here are the three best I have with the bomb-bay doors open.

You've got my permission and please feel welcome to use them with proper credit.

It was fun seeing the plane painted :wink: and great to see her fly!

Attachments:
RED_6202-001.JPG
RED_6202-001.JPG [ 132.38 KiB | Viewed 516 times ]
RED_6126-001.JPG
RED_6126-001.JPG [ 134.11 KiB | Viewed 516 times ]
RED_6119-001.JPG
RED_6119-001.JPG [ 139.29 KiB | Viewed 516 times ]

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:01 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Badazz Bird, nice job guys. Great photos Ryan!

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Grunt on CH-37
DBF

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268  Next