Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:11 am 

Amazing what can be accomplished by gaming the federal student loan program.
Can't find any fault with how he spends his money though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:28 am 

E Ace - in addition to being off topic, a snide remark such as that is an awfully cheap - and more importantly inaccurate -- shot.

I can assure you that he has a great deal of "assistance" from all the government agencies involved in for profit education, and as such all of his schools are properly operated to the letter of the law, in addition to giving many students skills that will enable them to earn their way in the world. All the man has done is earn a nice living helping people, and translated his success into a great collection of warbirds that he shares with the world.

Shame on you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:15 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Enemy Ace wrote:
Amazing what can be accomplished by gaming the federal student loan program.
Can't find any fault with how he spends his money though.

Although your forum "ranking" says "Air Marshall First Class", After that statement, I'm beginning to doubt that the "Class" is accurate.

Mudge

(Hope that's not too subtle.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This isn't the first thread which "Enemy Ace" has crapped in, although this is a new low for him... so congratulations, I guess, for resetting your default level below "whale turd". Way to go Ace, you're the "man".

Echoing Ed's comments, I have known Jerry informally for around 8 years now, and he is a gracious, enthusiastic, and passionate individual- and I've not heard a single disparaging comment about him or his businesses here in the area in all the years he's been here. He's a good man, his wife Elaine is just a wonderful, down to earth woman, and he deserves appreciation and praise for his efforts to grow the MAM into such a world-class facility.

Lynn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:37 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

lmritger wrote:
This isn't the first thread which "Enemy Ace" has crapped in, although this is a new low for him... so congratulations, I guess, for resetting your default level below "whale turd". Way to go Ace, you're the "man".

Echoing Ed's comments, I have known Jerry informally for around 8 years now, and he is a gracious, enthusiastic, and passionate individual- and I've not heard a single disparaging comment about him or his businesses here in the area in all the years he's been here. He's a good man, his wife Elaine is just a wonderful, down to earth woman, and he deserves appreciation and praise for his efforts to grow the MAM into such a world-class facility.

Lynn

+1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:14 pm 

Didn't this collection contain a flying MiG-3? Or am I confusing it?

Because I didn't see a MiG-3 listed on the website.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think if we could start a running list here on this thread, it would benefit all of us. Heres something to start off with. You guys can feel free to add to the list. BuNos, specifics, other aircraft, etc.

FG-1D
Wildcat
P-40E
P-51D
Spitfire
Hurricane
Sea Fury
FW-190
P-26 (replica)
Fury Mk.1 Biplane (replica)
BF-109
BF-109
Me-109E
Mig 3
Yak 3
I-16
I-153
I-153
La-9
Fiat G.55
P-63

A-26
Avenger
JU-52
PBY-5A
B-25
Mosquito
AD-4

Stearman
SNJ-2
SNJ-4
Storch
Chimpmunk
Jungmeister
T-34
T-28
PO-2
Tiger Moth
N3N
PT-22
Dragon Rapide
L-5

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

Last edited by Warbird Kid on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:24 pm 

There is a Mig-3. It's not currently at the museum, but in one of the Fighter Factory Hangars in Suffolk, Va.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:30 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I love the fact that you can leave out all of the other aircraft entirely, and just be impressed by the shear number of WWI replica aircraft alone - multiple Fokker Dr.I's, multiple Fokker D.VII's, two Nieuport's, a Spad, an Albatross, Halberstadt, Sopwith Strutter, two Avro 504K's, etc...and it continues to grow. I also love the WWI-themed hangars that were built at the museum/airfield site.

The collection's P-40 remains to this day my favorite of all of those out there, simply for the paint/markings it carries. Some tend to go off on any P-40 that carries a shark mouth, but in the case of Yagen's P-40E, it sports an authentic "Flying Tigers" paint scheme carried by a P-40E in 1942. The benefit is that the chosen paint scheme had a shark mouth that was the epitome (in my view) of the iconic P-40/Flying Tigers shark mouth of that period. As Jack Cook used to mention, others could take lessons from the shark mouth application on Yagen's P-40. It is not over the top and is simply a perfectly executed recreation (much like the P-40 that was painted in the markings of Robert Scott's). It, along with the FHC's recently refinished P-40C, are both superb examples of authentic "Flying Tigers" P-40 paint schemes. (Another good example, though not related to "Flying Tigers" markings, but sporting a shark mouth in the pure sense of authenticity, is Ron Fagen's "Desert Shark" P-40E)

In the same realm, with all of the criticism of warbird paint schemes within recent years, Jerry Yagen/MAM should be praised for the decisions that they have controlled regarding the paint schemes on their aircraft. And even some paint scheme decisions that were out their grasp - they have what I consider to be the most gorgeous airworthy B-17 (there's just something about all of that yellow paint on bare aluminum skin).

With the original WWII-era Luftwaffe hangar now erected at the site of the MAM, I can't help but imagine the amazing sight it will be, in the future, to see a Bf 109E, two Bf 109G's, the FW 190 (and perhaps an Fw 190 or two), all on display within/around that hangar (not to forget the other German aircraft in the collection, such as the Ju 52, Fw 44, Storch, Jungmeister, and Me 262). (There is also the original WWII-era RAF control tower (from RAF Goxhill) that they have awaiting reconstruction, which was carefully dismantled - what a perfect backdrop that will be for the Museum's Mosquito, Spitfire, Hurricane, Dragon Rapide and Fury replica).)

A pretty good list of the Museum's collection (on display, in maintenance, or in restoration) can be found here (though with a few errors): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighter_Fa ... er_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:51 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

IIRC, the AD-4 and T-28 were purchased from the Wiley Sanders' collection and delivered on the same day as a flight of two.

Ken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:01 pm 

Oh what's the use?

Last edited by Enemy Ace on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:26 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Just dropped in on the museum today. First time. Highly recommended.

Resembled Fantasy of Flight in some ways but seemed more tasteful, less synthetic or Disneyfied. It will be great to watch this facility grow. Many new buildings being built or planned.

Planes were great obviously. In the resto hangar there was something white and stubby that looked like it may have been a fifth Polikarpov, maybe a second I-16?

Enemy Ace, I appreciate your perspective. Always room for more viewpoints, at least some of us think so.

August

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Warbird Kid wrote:
I think if we could start a running list here on this thread, it would benefit all of us. Heres something to start off with. You guys can feel free to add to the list. BuNos, specifics, other aircraft, etc.

FG-1D
Wildcat
P-40E
P-51D
Spitfire
Hurricane
Sea Fury
FW-190
P-26 (replica)
Fury Mk.1 Biplane (replica)
BF-109
BF-109
Me-109E
Mig 3
Yak 3
I-16
I-153
I-153
La-9
Fiat G.55
P-63

A-26
Avenger
JU-52
PBY-5A
B-25
Mosquito
AD-4

N3N
SNJ-2
SNJ-4
Storch
Chimpmunk
Jungmeister
T-34
T-28
PO-2
Tiger Moth
Stearman
PT-22
Dragon Rapide
L-5

I corrected your list. Please continue.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

N3Njeff wrote:
I corrected your list. Please continue.

Wait.... really?

You.... you just put the N3N on top of it's category? Thats it?? THATS IT?! :lol: I (or at least somebody) will continue. :)

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

There is indeed a MiG-3, but it will be a while before she's ready to get back out to Va Beach; apparently, there was some sort of issue with the landing gear that's taking a while to get sorted out. August, you did indeed see a second I-16; it's equipped with skis (which apparently are very rare in and of themselves), and has been out there at least since the summer of 2002, and it was for sale even at that point. Did you happen to see Lazarev's Hurricane while you were out there? Talk about an eye-opener...

Lynn

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next