Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:08 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Thanks for the info Fearless.

The Spad just doesn't belong in a museum or historical collection, it's just a cute homebuilt if you're into that type of thing. A really nice Spad like Rhinebeck's would be a great addition.

I couldn't be sure if the SE.5 is full size. Or the Fokker D.VI or Halberstadt. The other Fokkers, the Avros, the Sopwiths clearly were full size except the Pup hanging inverted in the display hangar clearly seems scaled down.

The Fokker C.I replica might have been my favorite. It was unique, looked accurate, and sent me to the web to look for whether the C.I actually was developed before the Armistice (yes). I neglected to check whether it has dual controls. If it does, that might not be authentic but would make it a great conversion trainer for WWI replicas it seems to me. Of course the 504K can fill that function also, and I'd wager Mr. Y wouldn't turn down a good deal on a Jenny. Next to the C.I, I liked the 504Ks and the Strutter best.

It was also interesting to look at the different Dr.I and D.VII replicas, some of which were built in the 1970s or earlier, and see the different approaches taken in the inevitable tradeoff between authenticity and serviceability.

I did like the mini Albatros and wondered how the fuselage was done. With all the recent talk about the Mosquito I have been thinking about other wood monocoque aircraft that need repair or replication (Kermit's Vega, CWH's Anson V, etc.) and whether something quite so elaborate as what was done on the Mossie is necessarily required.

I recall a few years ago, Yagen assigned the students in his school to divide into teams and built WWI replicas for his collection as a competitive project, and they were all blogging about it for a while. I got the impression from reading the blogs that few, if any, of the replicas were completed due to insufficient interest, effort and/or skills of the students, and the experiment does not seem to have been repeated. Too bad -- Mr. Y probably hoped he could add at least a couple of replicas per year to his collection that way at low cost, plus impart some unique skills to the kids.

I have pics of everything we're discussing, if anyone is interested.

August

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:47 pm 

Can anyone confirm that Mr Yagen still has a Fairey Firefly Mk1?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:09 pm 

HMS Vulture, there is a map on the second floor of the museum and it shows aircraft around the world he/museum has in restorations and that is one of the aircraft pictured, as well as two p-63's and i think it even listed 2 p-39's but it has been a while sense i looked at the map. next time go ill look and and make a note in my phone as to what is on the map. hope that helps.

Travis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:01 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Jerry just bought a full size SPAD project, steel tube fuselage and Lycoming engine like the Rhinebeck one. It's being finished in New Hampshire. I believe he does also have a Jenny project in the works. The SE-5a on display belongs to somebody else I think, it's full size but has a "modern" fat airfoil which I don't like, they fly fine with the original wing section. Halberstadt and Fokker D.VI are both full size, the D.VI and Camel that he just bought were built by Walt Redfern in Idaho years ago.

-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:14 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Baldeagle, thanks much for that- I actually thought the SE5a was undersized but wasn't sure, that fat wing really throws off the appearance to me. I do wish it would receive a better paint job. And that's great news about the full-sized Spad! Sounds like he's starting to get some Allied airpower to join his magnificent Fokker collection. :)

Lynn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:35 pm 

Ok,Thanks :D
Travisd80elcam wrote:
HMS Vulture, there is a map on the second floor of the museum and it shows aircraft around the world he/museum has in restorations and that is one of the aircraft pictured, as well as two p-63's and i think it even listed 2 p-39's but it has been a while sense i looked at the map. next time go ill look and and make a note in my phone as to what is on the map. hope that helps.

Travis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:35 am 

Its great to see these positive comments about what Jerry has been trying to achieve at MAM - and been very successful in the process!

I have been fortunate to have been involved here and there over the last ten yars - I recently designed the new WWI hangar and am currently working on the control tower project. I also have a hand in the paint schemes on the WWII aircraft including working on the Spitfire, Hurricane, B-25, Mosquito & FW-190. I have always been grateful to Jerry for giving me these opportunities.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:48 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The WW1 hangars are terrific!

-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:25 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I agree, the WWI hangars are very nice, the relocated WWII German hangar also looking good, and the control tower project is exciting. I understand the water tower also is a vintage item obtained from a former military base. It is starting to seem almost like a Greenfield Village of aeronautical architecture, which is a great idea, especially if you have lots of planes to fill them with. The whole setup is possibly the nicest environment for an air museum that I can recall seeing, with lots of room for more interesting structures to be built or moved in, and the runway was in amazing condition. The fact that F-18s are usually cruising overhead doesn't hurt the atmosphere either.

August

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:23 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Some pics from last weekend.

Chuckie lives outside now, but the new hangar is almost ready.

The WWI hangar.

This is the scaled down Nieuport I think.

This wide shot shows the interior structure of the WWI hangar.

Full size, but fat-winged, Nieuport.

This is the flying 504K.

This is the non-flying one. It has a real rotary, they said it was too much of a maint headache.

Meet the Fokkers.

The C.I.

My favorite of the Dr.Is.

Over in the main display hangar,

Yagen's taste in wheels is not bad either.

I-15 cockpit.

Can't say I care for the bulged canopy on the Yak.

The ski Rata in the shop, La-9 behind.

The PBY has new and more accurate paint since I saw it last.

August

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:33 am 

Love the N3N on floats. The nice thing is that the have the landing gear as well so they can flip-flop if they wish to fly her.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TriangleP wrote:
Very good photo survey, thanks for posting the pics! K5083, how far along is the progress on the hanger that will protect Chuckie? Thanks!

Yeah, which one is this? I thought she was just going to live in the Maintenance hangar. And for that matter what about the JU-52? I don't think it will fit in the authentic German hangar will it?

BTW I do love those WWI hangars. Really cool looking.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:17 am 

Thanks for the pics August, looks like quite a collection.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:55 am 

I am so glad that there are wealthy people in the world that are willing to spend their money for the rest of us to enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:31 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

TriangleP wrote:
Very good photo survey, thanks for posting the pics! K5083, how far along is the progress on the hanger that will protect Chuckie? Thanks!

It really looked about finished and ready to move into, maybe with a little sweeping up. It is really intended to house the German aircraft, but I'm sure the Ju 52 (also now outside) won't mind the company for a while. I'd be surprised if they didn't get Chuckie in there before winter sets in, or even what passes for fall there (it was still in the 80s last weekend).

The hangar is quite cool, apparently they found and preserved various things including repaired damage from 8th AF bombing, and graffiti left by Polish workers (i.e. slaves) who had to repair the damage. So the building is more of a "combat vet" than most of the planes.

August

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next