Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:04 am 

brad might be going to Oly this year in race 9... skeets asked so now i need the time from this job... i got 5 more years... how bout you???

steve
you need someone to help you fly your warbird??? how about an 9000+ hours in mil and civ antiques and warbirds current and own a t-6 (as well as many others) comm inst rated, IA on same, still in mil with all the safety programs, unlimited LOA high perf single / multi eng piston, and the list goes on from there....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:34 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Col. Rohr wrote:
4) Work with the FAA to come up with a train level that will allow newer pilots into not only warbirds but vintage stuff.

What do you all think?

I think this isn't such a good idea... :shock:

Let the WOA, CAF, and other responsible organizations set up standards and training programs like they have for formation training (FAST). Education, cooperation, and self policing amongst the enthusiast organizations has been proven to work.

Keep the government out of it if at all possible. Any authority that is offered to them will be gladly accepted- then BAM! Some knucklehead with something to prove will make a powerplay, and rule by governmental fiat will be the new standard... Your freedoms will be lost and you will be remembering "the good old days." Remember, the government changes players like I change my underwear... Well, that might not be a good analogy, but what you agree to (a rule interpretation for instance) with one guy will be lost a few months later when that guy gets reassigned or retires.

What training is keeping pilots out of warbirds now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:26 am 

BDK,
be careful, (this will make a few of you real happy) I am not a huge fan of the EAA, or CAF in regards to policing and setting up training for warbirds... personally they have made it a good old boys club and very lukerative (sorry didn't go to school to learn how to spell) for a very few ..lets talk about the big iron for a second.. and lets say a B25.. first you have to get some dual (min 3 hours) then take a type check ride (acft is over 12.5K) and then a type currency check every year after (some exceptions) who is going to do that ??? well now, EAA took it over and you have to go to one of THEIR ENDPR's .... they decide who that is going to be and that is a real club... there are only a very few of them (last count i recall 12) if you can get on their sched you pay to get them to you (ie airline fare) hotel and per diem for every day they are there and $500 a day whether they fly or not (ie if the acft has a maint prob.. not uncommon with these acft)... and if two of you are getting a check on the same day and flight then its $1000 , every year..... as for the formation stuff the only thing that makes part of it legit is some of the guys teaching it are ex mil guys with lots of experiance... formation is a disiplined art. in the mil it takes 10 rides in a t-37 and maybe 15 in a t-38 with a check to be safe on your own and then suppervised for a while after that doing it twice a week or so.. civ world you can get signed off in a weekend with 4 flights (as i recall) and once a year... sorry i'm not real comfortable flying with someone like that... i'll stick with the mil and ex mil folks ( i know what they will do) what do you think randy H... ok time to get off my soap box i've said way more than i'm use to in one setting...by

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:43 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

jcw wrote:
civ world you can get signed off in a weekend with 4 flights (as i recall) and once a year... sorry i'm not real comfortable flying with someone like that...

Me neither, but previously there was no "certification" requirement at all for formations at an airshow. The point is I think that you are supposed to learn the basics during training and then practice. Would you want to fly in IMC with a pilot that has only previously flown IFR during recurrency checks and never on his or her own in actual IMC?