Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:48 am 

Thanks Matthias! I am really enjoying the photos and the commentary.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:40 pm 

Hello Matthias, and welcome!

Thank you very much for your pictures and words. It looks to be a fantastic place! I look foreword to more of your posts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:21 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Wow, simply stunning and awesome! What a fantastic thread, Matthias, thank you! :D

Do you know of any FW projects in Germany that will result in an airworthy "long-nosed" or "Dora" 190? I've heard there is or was one, supposedly with an original Jumo engine, but I don't know any details.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:32 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Lots of dreams in that hangar. Great photos!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:56 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

redvanner wrote:
warbird1 wrote:
Wow, simply stunning and awesome! What a fantastic thread, Matthias, thank you! :D

Do you know of any FW projects in Germany that will result in an airworthy "long-nosed" or "Dora" 190? I've heard there is or was one, supposedly with an original Jumo engine, but I don't know any details.

Thanks!

@warbird1:

The only FW project of a FW 190 D(ora) or "long-nosed" using an original Jumo engine that I have heard of is the one in Belgium. It incorporates parts of an original airframe found at a crashsite in Belgium, IIRC at Waasmunster. It belongs to Eric Vormezeele, who is doing most of the restoration himself, and is keeping a low profile in public. There is another project planned in the US, in Kissimmee, at the White 1 (Weisse 1) shop, with Mark Timken, but if it is started at all I do not know.

Michael

Thanks redvanner, perhaps the one in Belgium is the one I was thinking of - I'm not sure if it was in fact in Germany or not.

What about the one in England, from the now defunct RLM aviation. Did it get sold? What is it's status now and where is it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:59 pm 

What a wonderful story and excellent pictures. Thanks Matthias.

And the ex-RLM / Peter Holloway FW 190-D is reported by 'FlyPast' as being sold to America!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:27 pm 

redvanner wrote:
warbird1 wrote:

Thanks!

@warbird1:

The only FW project of a FW 190 D(ora) or "long-nosed" using an original Jumo engine that I have heard of is the one in Belgium. It incorporates parts of an original airframe found at a crashsite in Belgium, IIRC at Waasmunster. It belongs to Eric Vormezeele, who is doing most of the restoration himself, and is keeping a low profile in public. There is another project planned in the US, in Kissimmee, at the White 1 (Weisse 1) shop, with Mark Timken, but if it is started at all I do not know.

Michael
Some years ago Dirk Bende was building up one for a German customer who later sold this project to Vormezeele. In exchange an Fieseler Storch found its way from Belgium to Bende who restored it and is now flying in Germany.

Information about the “long nose” project can still be found on Bendes old page here (scroll down):
http://www.motobende.de/motobende/engli ... ojects.htm

Meanwhile he has a new page where you can find pictures of the Jumo 213 restoration:
http://www.ltb-dirkbende.de/

Hey Mathias, weiter so!

Warbird Videos:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34289