Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:13 am 

Neat Fiberglass F4U-1A Corsair replica project- Sorry if it's old news to some here but I just saw it recently. 82% scale powered by an R-985. Before the pooh-poohing starts looks at the picks, 82% is still a very large airplane. If you don't have 2 Million laying around for the real thing then maybe this would be of interest.
(OK OK Ellice_ Island_ Kid/ Chris/A2C can get you one for a song... If he's not too busy with the FM-2 :D
Last website update was in 2008 but I'm trying to find out more. Maybe the builder, Tony Pileggi is at OSH now? Can anybody get some pics and news updates?
http://www.Corsair82.Com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Clicking on the link gets a 404 message

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:52 am 

The Inspector wrote:
Clicking on the link gets a 404 message

Works for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Link finally woke up, the aircraft does look good! A great deal more fidelity to real than the WARBIRD 1/2 scale ones do-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:16 am 

I don't see why more people don't get excited about something like this, which is doable, versus mooning over a completly trashed out wreck somewhere that can't even be recovered. (See Catalina thread)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:43 pm 

Enemy Ace wrote:
I don't see why more people don't get excited about something like this, which is doable, versus mooning over a completly trashed out wreck somewhere that can't even be recovered. (See Catalina thread)

Didn't you say "whats the point of building smaller than full scale"? about my 75% p40 :lol: i'm kidding only, you make a good point, people seem to fawn over some hopeless cases (like the Kee Bird thread on another forum) and virtually no one cares about replica aircraft (realistically isn't the Blayd Zero a really nice replica even though it is presented as a real life Zero) ?. Granted there are few true replicas out flying and a crap ton of pipe dreams that will never exist (browse the replicas section of homebuiltairplanes.com for a good laugh sometime).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's the 'dream', what would you see as more satisfying when done, finding the horn button and a front bumper from a classic FERARRI and chasing down the parts 'knowing in your heart' you could rebuild it, or ordering a kit to glue fibreglass on your DATSUN 260 so it looks like a FERARRI? Plus the no real history behind it replica stigma. And the 'whys this one look smaller than that one over there?'
Granted lots of hot rods never get past the pile 'o' parts in the garage and even fewer twisted pieces of aluminum get resurrected as the proud 'whateveritwas' from 65 years ago, but it's the 'dream' that 'I can do this' that keeps people hauling home rusty R-2800's and twisted ailerons and cockpit sliding windows or SBC's and rusty car frames and radiator shells.
It's like the CANSO thread that Daveymac posted, yeah, it's sort of a shame to see that PBV sitting in the trees, but cost, time, labor, storage, chasing parts should let you decide it should remain where it is. If you've got all the above, including huge piles of disposable income, start with the box of nutclips you found @ the surplus store and go for it.
The CORSAIR replica is nicely done, looks to be true to scale, and beats the pants off a homebuilt WHATEVER for style points. If you are up to all parts of the challenge get after it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:55 pm 

You got me BruceV!!!
My point at the time though was that most scaled down replicas quickly cease to look anything at all like the airplanes they represent..... I think this F4U project is going to look very close to the real thing.
All good points Inspector. What looms large in my value system though is that a project can be completed in a fair amount of time..... A project is worth so much less than a completed airplane, OSH award winner or not. Not owning any oil wells a project would make up a fairly significant portion of my net worth. I also keep in mind the example of Ralph Roshanik (sp?), the guy who built the Curtiss P6 Hawk and then was too old to fly it after decades of effort!!!! Sure it was great that he did it but in the end he didn't get what he wanted.... and I think a lot of guys pass on with their dreams gathering dust out in the garage.

Hey Bruce let us know what's up with the P-40 project!!!
-Robert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Another one-of-a-kind scaled down replica that I'd want to own in a heartbeat is this beauty based at the Quonset Point Museum in Rhode island
http://www.airliners.net/photo/1354747

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:37 pm 

Thanks for bringing that to our attention chris. Do you know if it flies? looks like a one-off, scratchbuilt as opposed to built from plans.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Anyone heard anything on this project
Website last updated 2013

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Tony P. is the current Replica Fighters Association president, so that's probably the easiest contact point. He's active with the EAA also and can probably be pinged thru there too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:03 am 

to my knowledge, Tony P. is no longer involved with the Corsair82 project, having sold off his molds and other parts that he fabricated. The website is maintained for historical record purposes only.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:00 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

http://scalebirds.com/blog/2022/7/4/its ... usgFfXgPwI

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The photos on the website reminds of a CW-19 or CW-22/SNC.

Looks like fun.
I certainly don't have any issues with sub scale replicas...or any replicas. I recall the WAR series of homebuilts, but I guess they had
(structural?) issues. Do any still fly?

Also, there was (and may be still) a group of guys in the Midwest who travel together with a squadron worth of small WWI types (they tie them behind trucks to get to their destination then reassemble them), they seemed to have fun. I saw them at the NMUSAF fly-in awhile back.
EDIT: They are the "Dawn Patrol" out of Kansas City. They seem to have Nieuports and Jennys.

If you can't afford the "real thing", you can still have fun.