Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:48 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Bill Greenwood wrote:
It would be great to see this plane fly, but I don't think the museum takes their planes out of the area to shows like EAA Osh, do they?

They brought their P-51 to AirVenture four or five years ago. It wasn't out on the field much and spent a lot of time in a hangar, but it was here.

Zack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:01 pm 

FHC OPSEC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:25 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

DenverWarbirdFan wrote:
Here's the first flight photo from FHC's Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=477343128665&set=a.115249348665.100226.13883518665

Quote:
We are excited to report, yesterday afternoon (December 1), the Flying Heritage ...Collection’s Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-5 flew for the first time since 1943. Warbird test pilot Steve Hinton lifted into the skies for a 20-minute maiden flight to test all major systems. Hinton reported that the vintage fighter passed its trial flight with flying colors. “The plane is very light, fast, and responsive,” reported Hinton. “This lived up to the history books.” Future flights will take place though December, and soon, the rare vintage aircraft will be on its way to Washington State to be put on display at the FHC. Photo courtesy of Jim Larsen and Air Classics magazine

Thanks for the link. Here is the picture:

From the picture and description, we can conclude that it did NOT take place at Chino or Seattle. My guess is that it took place somewhere near Tehachapi, where Mike Nixon restored the BMW 801 engine.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:24 pm 

Bill,

This is a remarkably original aircraft. Excluding the engine which is rebuilt from half a dozen examples, new prop and all the electrics the vast majority of the structure is original. The wing had a new spar, couple of repaired ribs and a new leading edge but nearly everything else is original right down to the skins. Similar story to the fuselage.

The MG151 cannons are original, MG17's second hand new. It also has a rebuilt ETC501 bomb rack which will be great to see. Even the canopy perspex is original - recovered from a lake and the master compass was second hand.

Could spend all day talking about her - especially after researching and following her for the last 20 years. She was recovered in 1990.

Love to see some close ups soon and then there is the paint job.......

regards

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

shepsair wrote:

Could spend all day talking about her -
regards

Mark

Mark

Off you go then-its Friday at work and I have some time -ohh, on second thoughts-I don't have THAT MUCH time :wink:
But seriously-wonderful sight and a credit to JME, Mike Nixon, Gosshawk and of course Mr Allen and FHC.

Dave

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:47 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

From the FHC site

The FHC's Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-5 will be painted like it was the day it was lost. The plane is a strange mixture of "in the field" colors applied over the top of its factory scheme. Unlike the typical gray over gray seen on many Fw 190s, mechanics in Russia covered the plane's top surfaces in forest colors they scrounged from the locals—green, dark green, and brown. Since they were not typical German colors, the skins from the wreck had to be matched to come up with the proper shades.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:22 pm 

Spookythecat - Great profile by Kjetil Aakra posted there to show how she looked. Should post the factory finish and delivery scheme's but these might have to wait for an article - hopefully :mrgreen:

Luckily I have all four views on how she looked in Russia - just waiting for the phone call to help :D

I do love those JG54 paint schemes.

regards

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:23 pm 

Excellent news! Cant wait to see it repainted and doing displays!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:27 pm 

is there anyone out there restoring a dora9 just curious if any even exist? like the the radial version better though a simplistically beautiful aircraft one of my all time favorites of the era!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:35 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

andyman64 wrote:
is there anyone out there restoring a dora9 just curious if any even exist? like the the radial version better though a simplistically beautiful aircraft one of my all time favorites of the era!

There are a couple "long-nose" 190's being built to flying condition, but none are authentic originals. Jerry Yagen's will probably the first to fly. It is a Flug Werk airframe, but will have an original Jumo engine.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As to be absolutely clear, as mentioned earlier, this is the first Focke Wulf Fw 190 to fly for over 60 years - a notable event. The other aircraft that have flown recently are laudiable projects, but are not Focke Wulfs, nor accurate replicas structurally, in systems or engines. Essentially they are look-a-likes.

This aircraft has been restored to exact original standards (as we hear so much about for FHC) despite the fact that a great deal of those details are absolutely nightmarish to restore.

And BTW, the real thing is an Fw 190, the replica is classified correctly as a FW 190. The modern case-illiterate text generation may not recognise the difference, but I'm sure our WIX members are clear about it. ;)

(Well done Bruce & Jeremy.)

There are a couple of original, restored, complete long nose Fw 190s out there, one in the FHC collection, the other with the Smithsonian.

Regards,

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:54 pm 
Newly minted Mustang Pilot

I believe the flight took place at Casa Grande...I could be way off but thats the rumor. The White One foundation is gearing up to do a D-9 as well...completely original, although I would say this is a 10 year project.

jim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:02 pm 
Newly minted Mustang Pilot

double double...oops

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm 

Quote:
andyman64 wrote:

There are a couple "long-nose" 190's being built to flying condition, but none are authentic originals. Jerry Yagen's will probably the first to fly. It is a Flug Werk airframe, but will have an original Jumo engine.

Jerry Yegan's is the ex-Tom Blair Dora with the Allison and it will be rebuilt as the ex-Glen Lacey 'Black 8' Wk.No 211028 JG26 with the correct Jumo 213, so it will become a D9.

White 1 Foundation has announced their next project (after the Fw190 A8) as a D9 from JG26 and is using a couple of the Jumo 213s dug up at the Frankfurt airport. I recall they had acquired an D9 data plate recently.

Also, the Vormezeele collection is slowing building a JG54 D9 lost in January 1945.

So that makes three D9 projects and hopefully one or more will be in the air some day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:15 pm 
Warbird Pilot

http://www.fw190d-9.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next