Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: News from MeierMotors South Germany EDTG

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:05 am

Matthias, first of all, give the crew a "high five", and a pat on the back for a job well done. Second, thanks to you for taking the time to take pictures and posting them here for all of us to enjoy!! :drink3: :drink3: :drink3:

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:56 am

Great set of photos. The crew looks to be very proud of their accomplishment and rightly so. :drink3:

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:39 am

Hi Matthias,

Looks good though I would guess an engine hoist would be a safer option than just the forks of a fork lift truck. Not sure I would be happy working under that. Know it is 'health and safety' but sometimes if it does not look right...

http://www.rugerindustries.com/

Mark

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:13 pm

shepsair wrote:Hi Matthias,

Looks good though I would guess an engine hoist would be a safer option than just the forks of a fork lift truck. Not sure I would be happy working under that. Know it is 'health and safety' but sometimes if it does not look right...

http://www.rugerindustries.com/

Mark

Hi Mark,

my thoughts went down the same road, when I saw the Merlin dangling from the forklift. But my solution would be a slewing crane, (relatively) cheap, easy to use, directional fine-tuning incl. up-down easy, needs minimum space when not in use, but it is fixed. And safe as well. Another solution could be a gantry crane. Anyway, I relish the pictures and the progress of all those projects. Would only be better if one could be there, lol.

Michael

http://www.vetter-krane.de/html/assiste ... tml?lng=en

Just for your info: I do not have any interest nor connection whatsoever with the company linked above. It´s solely meant as an example how one could do things differently.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:34 pm

Forklifts are used on a daily basis to install/remove engines on warbirds. I wouldn't say the majority of shops do it that way but it wouldn't be much of a stretch. I've seen it done on airplanes up to and including a B-25 and B-17. As long as you don't exceed the weight capacity there isn't anything dangerous about it.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:06 pm

Many a time I have seen engines changed on C-123 Providers using a forklift. I've even seen it done on one occasion with an A frame made out of trees.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:18 pm

Only way I know of installing an engine on a C-47 out on the ramp. Been there done that. If not for the forklift we would still be out there.

updates SeaFury Project , November 2012

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:11 pm

some work at the canopies

some work in the paintshop

here, I am looking after the work :supz: Ralf made ... its okay :wink:

some days later, the paintjob is finished... what a beauty

hope I will take a seat here ... I ve placed already my wish to the owner and he was kind of pleased

last but not least, test fit of the tailplane ... man the fighter is huge

Fiat G.59 some updates

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:46 pm

another project in the facility is Jerry Yagens Fiat G.59 project. A lot of work for the sheetmetalworkers. Thousends of parts, reconstructed by the fantastic team. What a job. But what should I say, these guys are really artists. Its stunning. They look at those parts and some "seconds" later the reconstructed parts lies on the workbench, exact the same shape. What the hell is CAD ? I love it to look at their work, cause to me as a banker, its incredible was two hands can do

old parts and reconstructed parts

every piece is handmade

some old parts

Fiat G.59 some updates

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:52 pm

...sheetmetalwork

Fiat G.59 some updates

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:59 pm

....... more pictures

some work with the undercarriage doors (right term ?)

detail work

thats it for today ..... hope it was not too boaring for you pop1

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:42 pm

Thanks for the update on the Fiat. I didn’t realize it would require this degree of reconstruction. Very interesting photos. pop2

Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:37 pm

Thank you so much Matthias,
for another addition to this fantastic and informative post. Your photos are a highlight!
The crew at MeierMotors are very skilled indeed. Please give them many compliments from WIX.
Many amazing projects. The skills of this crew will keep drawing the most interesting and challenging restorations.
I know I'm not alone in saying that postings of the 109's will be eagerly sought.

You said at the top of this last post that you are a banker.
Well somebody has to pay for this amazing craftsmanship :D (just kidding)

Thanks again Matthias Cheers :drink3:

Andy Scott

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Is the G-59 being converted to a G-55?

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:08 pm

Pogmusic wrote:Is the G-59 being converted to a G-55?

If it's the same one(ex Grey) JY has been reporting progress on this season, then yes it is. The fuse is in Italy and the wings and some other bits are with Meier. I wonder if they have found a suitable DB or one of the license-built copies yet?

Edit...yup same one, composite of G.59 fuse and purported G.55 wings Warbird Kid posted a WIX thread back in May on this project..
http://www.meiermotors.com/en/aircraft/ ... auro-.html
Post a reply