Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:14 pm 

With this thread my "career" in that fantastic forum began. I am so sorry that all the informations, posts and pictures are lost due forum problems. I try to recover my posts and hope you enjoy again the story of 124541

One of the famous aircraft stored and maintained at the MeierMotors shop is the Chance Vought Corsair F4U-5NL. The plane is registered as F-AZYS. The plane was restored by the French over several years, restored to series-07 shape and painted in the dress of the Aeronavale. In the winter 2009 the fighter was sold to Max Alpha Aviation /MeierMotors.

The plane saw action over Hyères "100 ans aeronavale" and of course at the "Flying Legends Duxford". After the airshowseason, it was planned to strip the plane to check the airframe, maintainance, reatauration and of course a new paintjob. I told the history here in the WIX-forum and some days later I got a mail from the forum-member Rob Mears and he told me really stunning news, sensational news ! He told me the real history of "our" Corsair :

The Corsair #124541 was buildt as a F4U-5NL, will say nightfighter / allweatherfighter. History began 31st December 1950 and in may 1951 the plane was assigned to VC3 (Navy Composite Squadron 3), tailcode NP.

22nd January 1952, was ferried with FASRON 11 (Fleet Air Service Squadron 11) to Japan and on 8th February 1952 assigned to MWSS1 (Air Marine Corps Aviation). On 20th February 1952 the plane was assigned to VMF-513(N) "Flying Nightmares" , 5th Airforce. The VMF-513(N) flew Tigercats and Corsairs for night attacks under flares over Korea. The flares were fired for ex. from C-47. Later in 1952 the Corsair were replaced by F4D Skyknight.
VMF-513 had about 15 Corsair F4U-5NL in service and #124541 was one of them and saw combat action over Korea.

#124541 went back to the States (FASRON8 Alameda/Ca) at 10th December 1952. At this time the Corsair flew about 122hours over Korea. 2nd November with MWSS1 back to Japan and was stored at FASRON11. 21st March 1953 back to FASRON8 in the US. 5th November 1953 the nightfighter was assigned to VC-3 based at Moffett again. She flew over there about 86 hours. After that, several depots and at 16th May 1956 the fighter was assigned to NAS (Naval Air Station) NART Birmingham. After 64 hours in the air, the plane was stored on 4th August 1956 at Litchfield Park and stricken from the list.

At this moment the plan was 86 month old and about 1039 flight-hours. The plane was listed as a socalled "surplus" and later sold to Argentinia.

Rob Mears sent me a copy of the History Card

"Our" Corsair is a Flying Nightmare !!!!!!! ... and nobody knewed it. Thanks again Rob for this sensational information

here a historical picture of one of those Flying Nightmares

Assigned to the Argentina Armada the plane was listed as No0433 and got the tactical number 2-A-202. The fighter was assigned to 2 Esquadrilla de Ataque since beginning of 1959. Later the tactical number was changed to 3-A-204. The plane was also based on the aircraft-carrier "Indepencia".
On 6th November 1964 the plane had a landing accident and was later stricken from the list (April 1966) and stored in the Marine Museum of El Tigre.

The museum-piece was sold 1991 to a French collector and ferried 1994 to Le Castellet South France. The plane was restored over there for several years as a F4U-7 of the Aeronavale. The fighter was registered as F-AZYS and got the serial 133704.
MeierMotors / Max Alpha Aviation bought that plane in the year 2009 and on the 2nd December 2009 the plane was ferried to Bremgarten by Ramon Josa, one of the most experienced Corsair-pilots.
On the picture you can see me in front of that proud bird in December 2009

lets take a seat .... oh man that ship is really big !

March 2010 Achim Meier at the controls

The fighter was displayed 2010 at the airshow "100 ans Aeronavale" at Hyères and the "Flying Legends" airshow at Duxford.

http://www.meiermotors.com

Last edited by Matthias Dorst on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:33 pm 

what a beauty !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:40 pm 

August 2010 time to make a big checkup. The owner gave MeierMotors the order to maintain the plane and wash all the colors off. As you know the Corsair is really a big single engine !

Washing off the paint will show possible damages at the airframe, so its really the best way to check the plane and its condition.

Flaps .... and hurray ammunition boxes :D :D :D yes Ron .... I will make lots of pictures

wingstructure

tailplane

rudders

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:51 pm 

September 2010 , the rudders are covered again

some bodywork.... the main hatch of the fuselage was damaged and was rebuilt by the MeierMotors team

September 2010, the paint is removed with corrosives

good to see the place of the deicing panels at the leading edge, a special feature of the -5NL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:52 pm 
Account Suspended

WELCOME BACK!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:58 pm 

the330thbg wrote:
WELCOME BACK!!!!!

Thank you very much for your welcome :drinking:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:15 pm 

At this stage, the owner wanted to paint the bird in "glossy sea blue", the color was already ordered. Rob Mears, a Corsair connaisseur in the United States sent me (as I told above) the history cards of #124541 via email and told me the whole story. The Corsair is possibly the last of 15 "Flying Nightmares".

I was very impressed ( I am really a big fan of airplane research and an information like that is absolute great) and told the story of that particular bird immediately via mail to the owner. I met him later in the shop, told again the story, showed books of the VMF-513 .... he asked "are you sure ?". Again I showed him the history cards and smiled. What should I say, he was also impressed, smiled also and said "Okay, lets paint her black, preserving history !!!!" What a man, what a decision. I think I was in this second the happiest man in the whole world. This ship will be "my Corsair" and you @Rob Mears, you are guilty :D

.... and he told to Achim & Elmar, "and of course, we build it back to series-5 standard" ! What a task !!!!!! What a sensation, but lot of work. The French enthusiasts made a good restauration job and spended the bird a new -7-cowling, the position of the exhaustsystem, the bodywork ... everything. Now it was time to work back .....

Steve Atkin, warbird colour services, was "alarmed" to research the paint and stencilwork. Hey Steven, it was really a big big pleasure to work with you ! .... and he made really a perfect job on (now) "our plane". We had a fantastic time, shared pictures, information, discussed colors, checked out artwork and stories. Also WIX-boardmembers helped us at this job. At this point, "Thank you very much for your support !!!!!".

Steven and I discussed the callsign. We didnt find any picture of #124541 and so we choose the "Red 19". From this ship there are some pretty good pictures around, this plane is well researched. Short call to owner ... "okay Red19"

a happy Steven Atkin and his work

.... feels like christmas

stencilwork

The paint-team, on the left Ralf (responsible for all paintwork at MeierMotors) and on the right Steven Atkin (responsible for historyresearch, artwork and colour choice). Hey guys you made a perfect job ! Congrats

Last edited by Matthias Dorst on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:25 pm 

.... back in the shop

Time for the bodywork ..... some work at the intakes

also a new cowlring has to be build up. Just a small look at the engine

the exhaust ..... they are too low in the fuselage for a -5 series

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:31 pm 

paradise is here in South Germany :D

Lady in Black

look at this perfect paint job !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:38 pm 

November 2010 ... waiting for parts

working on the intakes

Of course the plane will get those anti-glare-panels above the exhaustsystem and the exhaust-flamedampeners matching to the -5NL series. Here MeierMotors got help from Nelson Ezell (exhausts) and John Lane (scissors)

bodywork at the lower fuselage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:47 pm 

the whole thing with a Porsche Speedster ... nearly same aera :D

December 2010, the new cowling is attached to the airframe. Looks absolute perfect !

some close up shots

at first the artist .... this man is incredible, really an artist. He is building the underside of the cowling

now pretty good to see the differences between the restored plane as -7 and now in the right shape as -5

and here -5 series shape

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:53 pm 

The Red 19

system checks in December 2010

Erik Meier, son of Elmar Meier, is working on the rudder adjustment

YEAAHHH brandnew parts from the United States. Nelson Ezell supports the project with those flame-dumpeners, a special feature of the -5NL and the exhaustpipes

The whole exhaust-system must be build up new, cause the -5-series has the exhausts in a higher fuselage position than the -7-series

new fittings for the oilcooling-system

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:57 pm 

the rudder is attached and adjusted

small detail, only to find at those series-5 airframes, counterweight of the trimtab

the whole ship ... on the right you can see the actual TF-51 project

Last edited by Matthias Dorst on Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:07 pm 

One of the major tasks at this stage is the new assembly of the -5-series cowling and coolingflaps. Lot of new bodywork for the team

January 2011

here you can see the modified, higher position of the exhaust-system

bodywork

Achim is checking the work

the shop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:13 pm 

.... so thats it for today .... you are now updated ! :D :D :D and I am on board again :D

But we need your help !!!!!!

Does anyone out in the world has technical drawings or worksdrawings of those antiglare-shields mounted over the exhausts ? These special -5NL parts are missing and the teams wants to build them up. But we need drawings !

To be continued ! .... hope there is not again a board failure :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next