Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:29 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hi guys and gals,

I just got back from a great 3-day trip to Tofino, BC. If you've never been it is a truly amazing place. It's home to some terrific cold water surfing, salmon fishing, and whale watching. My girlfriend and I went there to do some surfing, but we also took the time to hike out to the old WWII crash site of PBY-5A Canso (Catalina) RCAF 11007.

The back story on the airplane was that she was stationed at Alliford Bay on Haida Gwaii (Formerly the Queen Charlotte Islands). She'd been flown down to the airfield at Tofino for some reason or another, and on departure, with 12 occupants on board, she suffered an engine failure. Unable to recover from the situation the airplane went down in a heavily wooded and boggy location making recovery of the airplane impossible back then. Thankfully all souls on board survived. The softness of the ground in the area is still a factor, and thus the airframe remains there today. The only possibility to remove the airframe is by helicopter, but that would be very costly. I think there's also some restrictions on her removal because it is in a national park. So, there it sits.

Shortly before you get to the site there's a big circular pond about 12 feet in diameter which was made when they removed and detonated one of the depth charges the airplane was carrying at the time of the crash.

Over the years countless hundreds of people have scratched their names into her skin, removed parts, and put graffiti and stickers all over her. I figure we can just put the engines back on, tighten some bolts, and we'll be good to fly her out of there. haha.

Here are some pictures from my visit this past week.

6 (It's amazing that you can still see the colours of the roundels)

8 (I had to laugh when I read the stenciling, because the wing was torn off by a tree just outside the detach point)

23 (Does anybody know what this was used for? They're just aft the blisters on both sides)

24 (Here's the shoot from outside)

I hope you all enjoy my pictures and if you've got any questions I'll try my best to answer them.

Peace,

David M

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanx for posting those! I'm amazed that, given all the other items that seem to have been 'liberated' from the remains that no one has tippy toed off with that nose turret. If you can hike out with a main gear lower strut and tire/brake assembly, the turret shouldn't be a big deal to steal.
And, based on photo 13, you are one very fortunate fellow!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:32 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'd love to check that out someday. Very cool and great shots!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A very interesting set of photos! Do you have any info on what year the crash took place?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Aren't those tubes used for dropping flares?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm surprised no one has legally/or not... taken the turret for another restoration.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pat, According to info on the net date of incident was Feb. 08, 1945. 12 S.O.B. no fatalities

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:31 pm 

Is this the one that used to be suspended up in the trees or am I thinking of a different Canso wreck in BC?

-Tim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:37 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hey guys,

I was quite amazed to see the nose turret still attached too. It's in really good shape besides the glass being all smashed out. As you can see from the pictures the blisters were taken, obviously easier to remove and transport out.

Spooky, since you resemble a respectable individual, I can pass on how to get to the wreck if you do want to go see it someday. One thing to note though, is that the trail, and the ultimate destination of the airplane crash site are a fairly secret thing in Tofino. The Visitor Information Centers they have all over the area are not allowed to say anything about the wreck or how to get to it. The trails are not recognized by the Parks Board, and to be honest there's good reason why seeing as how it's very boggy and very poorly marked. Oh, and the airplane poses a big safety hazard with lots of sharp bits.

This was actually the second time I'd been to the site. The previous visit happened in 2001 or so, but I lost all my pictures, so it was really great to get back there and take some new ones.

And, Tim. I'm not sure if this airplane was suspended from trees, perhaps for a few years after it crashed, as the below picture sort looks like that may have been the case.

Then again, I've heard about another PBY crash site in the same area. I still need to research that one though.

Peace,

David M

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:42 pm 

Probably not the one I was thinking of then. I recall hearing about a relatively untouched Canso that is suspended in the trees (and have seen colour pictures of it there somewhere). I want to say it's near Victoria but I could be all wrong.

-Tim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:32 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hi Tim,

I swear I'd seen pictures of something like that, but can't seem to track them down again.

I think the second Canso in the Tofino/Ucleulet may be the suspended by trees one. I'll have to do some research.

If you come across those pictures again, please let me know.

Peace,

David M

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:46 am 

Great pictures. It is clear that in recent times the wreck has deteriorated considerably, partly through vandalism but partly by falling trees etc by the look of the photos. The blisters were liberated by persons unknown several years ago.

At the time of the accident 11007 was on the strength of 6 (BR) Squadron but was on loan to 4 (BR) Squadron and it crashed after take off from Tofino bound for Coal Harbour.

Personally, I think the 'Canso in the trees' is probably 11007 as it is the most complete Canso wreck in BC (above water anyway). There is another wreck at Ucluelet which is of 11086 and 4,000ft up a mountain but I do not think this is the one 'suspended in the trees'.

Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:57 am 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

Very cool site. I assume some explosives were used on the nose to limit future usefulness? Too bad really if that was the case.

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:50 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Amazing that someone would hike all that way as hard as it is presented carrying spray paint just to put graffetti all over a historic landmark. What a waste of energy and good paint. Get a rope. Other than that a little work and it should buff right out and fly her out of there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:49 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hey David,

thanks for the info on the Ucluelet crash site. I'll have to look into that. From the sounds of that one, I imagine the wreckage is just that, wreckage, but I'm still going to look into it as it interests me.

And as for the graffiti, yeah, that red spray paint is from this year, as there was a "2011" sprayed onto the wing along with all the other not-so-artsy cr*p.

The crash site is an hours hike each way, so it really isn't that challenging to get too. It's just a less than desirable trail for most people. So, I think alcohol consumption plays into the reason for the airplane's current condition.

Tim, I am about 99% sure that they did not use explosives on the nose section of 11007 as there are no signs of burning. It just looks like they (RCAF personnel, or drunk hikers) tore it apart in order to retrieve items from the cockpit.

Peace,

David