Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:17 am 

:supz:

Jeff :spit

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:06 am 

Nice, very nice!

Cheers,

Tom Walsh.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:48 pm 

Glad to see another warbird/airshow site since airshowbuzz closed.

There was talk about bringing a private owned Mig-29 to Thunder Over Michigan, any update on that?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:45 pm 
WIX has been around longer than AirShowBuzz existed and is a Warbird forum with nowhere near the air show focus that Air Show Buzz had. But it does have some information on warbird themed air shows occasionally.

The MiG-29 idea was thrown out there MANY months ago when the theme for this year's show was still up in the air. There was thought of a "Red Star" type theme that may have tried to bring in MiGs and other types of Soviet/Russian/Eastern Bloc aircraft. There was also some thought about a "jet warbird" type theme. A MiG-29 may have been part of one of these type themes.

The MiG-29 and any kind of a major jet warbird presence apparently went by the wayside when the "Mustang Mania" theme was developed.

There will be the F-86F and Art Nalls' Sea Harrier jets at this year's show, but the B-29 Fifi, two P-47's, a P-38 and a large group of P-51 Mustangs appear to be the main focus this year.

I am looking forward to the show in a little over 2 months and hopefully we will get a few more additions to the aircraft attending list and an updated show web site soon.

I still hold out hope that a vintage jet or a Korean War/Cold War/Vietnam era type theme may be in the cards for a future year's show.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:25 am 

Don't get me wrong, I love the Mustang but usually 6-10 attend every year at Thunder Over Michigan. I was really hoping for either an Eastern Bloc jet with various Migs or a warbird jet theme with as many flyable privately owned fighter jets that could possibly make it including the F-86s, that F-100 that showed up 2 years ago, there are at least 3 A-4s flying, a couple F-4s, FJ Fury, T-33s, plus other planes.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:35 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Most of you are aware of my "fondness" for jets. When the jets start outnumbering the pistons, I won't be there. I'm sure my spot will be taken by any number of folks who love the noise and the smell of the kerosene burners so no big loss there.

Mudge the selective

Yeah...yeah. I know...INCOMING :hide:

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:57 am 
Boeing666 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I love the Mustang but usually 6-10 attend every year at Thunder Over Michigan. I was really hoping for either an Eastern Bloc jet with various Migs or a warbird jet theme with as many flyable privately owned fighter jets that could possibly make it including the F-86s, that F-100 that showed up 2 years ago, there are at least 3 A-4s flying, a couple F-4s, FJ Fury, T-33s, plus other planes.

One of my dream themes for a warbird show is a vintage jet theme just as you described. I would love to see all the ones you mentioned plus F-104's, the T-2, Hawker Hunters, MiG-17's, MiG-15, MiG-21, etc. The closest I have ever seen to this is the 2010 show at Oshkosh (only one I have been to) where there were 3 Sabres, 6 T-33's, 2 A-4's an F-4, the FJ-4B Fury, a MiG-21 and perhaps some others.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:03 pm 
Mudge wrote:
Most of you are aware of my "fondness" for jets. When the jets start outnumbering the pistons, I won't be there. I'm sure my spot will be taken by any number of folks who love the noise and the smell of the kerosene burners so no big loss there.

Mudge the selective

Mudge - we KNOW. And understand...... :lol: Even if Michael and Kevin do get a nice gathering of vintage jets together some year, I think they will be hard pressed to have them outnumber piston engined aircraft at the show.

:wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:52 pm 

Mudge wrote:
Most of you are aware of my "fondness" for jets. When the jets start outnumbering the pistons, I won't be there.

I'm with you on that one.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:37 pm 

Mudge wrote:

Mudge the selective

I don't think that will happen for a long time. There just aren't as many jet warbirds flying around as there are piston warbirds. There are probably a couple hundred T-6/SNJ/Harvards still flying, probably 80 Mustangs. There are even 9 B-17s left flying in the USA

Think about it - how many jetwarbirds are there? I am willing to bet there are more Mustangs flying than all the privately owned jet warbirds combined.

I love just about every piston warbird (though kinda get bored by T-6, T-28 and T-34s as well as CJ-6s and Yak-52s just because there are so many of each type and usually a half dozen or more of each type come to the shows I go to).

To be fair for the piston crowd - would love to see more P-38s, P-47s and a P-39 at a show flying as well as a B-26 and a C-46.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:43 pm 

jwc50 wrote:
One of my dream themes for a warbird show is a vintage jet theme just as you described. I would love to see all the ones you mentioned plus F-104's, the T-2, Hawker Hunters, MiG-17's, MiG-15, MiG-21, etc. The closest I have ever seen to this is the 2010 show at Oshkosh (only one I have been to) where there were 3 Sabres, 6 T-33's, 2 A-4's an F-4, the FJ-4B Fury, a MiG-21 and perhaps some others.

The only F-104s I know of are the 3 Starfighters Inc blue and white ones, there was a T-2 at Thunder a few years back, supposed to do a Heritage flight with the F-18 but the F-18 had a mechanical problem. There was a Dehavilland Vampire flying around a few years back. There is supposed to be a Mig-23 that flies the airshow circuit. I have really only seen one Mig-21 fly, that is the one that is based at YIP.

Was the F-4 you saw at OSH the Collings Foundation one or was it one of the Air Force QF-4 ones that have been flying the airshow circuit lately before they get made into a drone and shot down?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:03 am 
Boeing666 wrote:
Mudge wrote:

Mudge the selective

Think about it - how many jetwarbirds are there? I am willing to bet there are more Mustangs flying than all the privately owned jet warbirds combined.

You are right - there very well ccould be more flying Mustangs than all the privately owned jet warbirds out there. The only one that might make an exception to that is the L-39 - there are quite a few of those flying, but I don't like L-39's and don't consider them to be true "vintage jet warbirds." But that's just a personal opinion - I know some probably like them.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:11 am 
Boeing666 wrote:
The only F-104s I know of are the 3 Starfighters Inc blue and white ones, there was a T-2 at Thunder a few years back, supposed to do a Heritage flight with the F-18 but the F-18 had a mechanical problem. There was a Dehavilland Vampire flying around a few years back. There is supposed to be a Mig-23 that flies the airshow circuit. I have really only seen one Mig-21 fly, that is the one that is based at YIP.

Was the F-4 you saw at OSH the Collings Foundation one or was it one of the Air Force QF-4 ones that have been flying the airshow circuit lately before they get made into a drone and shot down?

I was fortunate to see The Starfighters fly a 3-ship F-104 formation at Andrews AFB in May 2008, but they are pretty much just flying for NASA, etc. these days. They bought 4 or 5 additional F-104's, but not sure what they are doing with them.

Those QF-4's have been flying the air show circuit for well over 10 years now and I just saw one of the Holloman ones at Chino early this month. I know their days are numbered, but I hope we have at least a few more years left with them.

At Oshkosh in 2010 it was the Collings F-4D (They brought their F-4D and TA-4F to EAA Airventure that year).

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:01 am 

jwc50 wrote:

You are right - there very well ccould be more flying Mustangs than all the privately owned jet warbirds out there. The only one that might make an exception to that is the L-39 - there are quite a few of those flying, but I don't like L-39's and don't consider them to be true "vintage jet warbirds." But that's just a personal opinion - I know some probably like them.

I forget about the L-39, but I too don't really consider it a vintage jet warbird since there are a lot still in active service too with various countries. They are cool to see in moderation, but I wouldn't want to see 20 of them really parked on a ramp for an L-39 themed show (in other words if Thunder Over Michigan had L-39 mania I probably wouldn't make the trip up from Florida)

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:04 am 

jwc50 wrote:
Boeing666 wrote:

I was fortunate to see The Starfighters fly a 3-ship F-104 formation at Andrews AFB in May 2008, but they are pretty much just flying for NASA, etc. these days. They bought 4 or 5 additional F-104's, but not sure what they are doing with them.

Those QF-4's have been flying the air show circuit for well over 10 years now and I just saw one of the Holloman ones at Chino early this month. I know their days are numbered, but I hope we have at least a few more years left with them.

At Oshkosh in 2010 it was the Collings F-4D (They brought their F-4D and TA-4F to EAA Airventure that year).

This was the first year at the Titusville Airshow that one of the Starfighters Inc F-104s didn't show up. Titusville only brings in one each year, but I saw the 3 ship at MacDill in 2008. I don't know what they are doing for NASA but I think the planes are now based at the Shuttle Landing strip, they used to be based at St. Pete/Clearwater Airport.

They brought 2 of the QF-4s to Jacksonville Airshow last year - the green camo and a gray one

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next