Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:45 pm 

Hey all my name is David Womacks I work at the airport located in scottsboro AL (4a6). We are trying to find a plane for display we would prefer the aircraft to be dontated but may be able to pay a small amount. We are looking for pretty much anything from a cessna up but have room for even an aircraft as large as a connie but would prefer something in the range from a beech 18, Hudson ect to DC-3/C-47 or Convair we are located in northeast Alabama. If anyone has any information on any such plane please let us know, condtion is not an issue we'd love to find an old plane in need of being saved. Our goal is to restore/maintain the aircraft in great conditon for static display infront of the airport. If a group is looking for a place to store a plane we are open to that aswell provinding you allow us to use it for static display untill your ready to restore it.
Thanks so much David

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

While at Thunder over Michigan today, one of Yankee's volunteers who was out by the PB4Y that I was talking to. He told us about Yankee's director authorizing the scrapping of the A6 Intruder that was used in the movie Flight of the Intruder, and also said that Yankee's director is wanting to scrap the DC6 sitting there. Don't know if you would be interested in it but thought I'd pass along the info. :drink3:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:14 pm 

Yes very much so do you have contact info

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If nothing else works out and you don't mind a long trip, I can point you in the direction of a slightly damaged (looks like a wheels up landing) Twin Beech that's probably free for the taking.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:16 am 

We are open to anything wheres the beech

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Northeast Washington state, Deer Park to be exact.
It's been parked there for years. They finally moved it to the north ramp to be less of an eyesore.
No paint, no nacelles or props.
I've got to think that there should be something closer to you.

The CAF squadron in Abilene, Texas had a nice exec-configured 1950s civil Beech 18 they parted out for use in restoring their C-45. They might still have that.

Also, there was an article a couple of weeks ago in Aviation Week talking about the remaining first generation bizjets being grounded when noise regs came into effect. Basically, it said all non-turbofans jets were no longer legal in the US (and perhaps other places). You might try some of the big GA salvage yards (like White Industries in Missouri) to see if they have any shells. Basically Lear 23-25s, early Sabreliners, Jet Commanders, early DH/BH/HS-125s would be effected.
The photo they had showed a parted-out G-II, but IIRC, that had turbofans..and some of its parts could still be used on G-llls and the like.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:04 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

cooper9411 wrote:
He told us about Yankee's director authorizing the scrapping of the A6 Intruder that was used in the movie Flight of the Intruder, and also said that Yankee's director is wanting to scrap the DC6 sitting there. :drink3:

What's the story behind the intruder? Is it one of the flown A-6's or the ground crash scene one?
Jerry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:08 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It was actually the one that was flown in the movie. The volunteer said the director says people don't like looking at aircraft that have no military/combat history! Then why did they scrap the A-6? He did not know why and questions the decision everyday :x

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:10 am 

I still don't understand why Yankee AF want to scrap that DC-6, I am kinda pissed about that. I heard also they want to scrap the Argosy, the plane is in great shape and is extremely rare.

Since the guy looking to get a plane for his airport is in Southeast Alabama, could you get ahold of the Army Aviation History museum to loan you a plane? How far are you from that museum since it also is in Southeast Alabama? A lot of the military planes you see in front of airports are on loan from The Air Force Museum and the Naval Museum, I figure you could get something on loan from the Army Aviation Museum as they own several aircraft that are not on display.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:13 am 

cooper9411 wrote:
It was actually the one that was flown in the movie. The volunteer said the director says people don't like looking at aircraft that have no military/combat history! Then why did they scrap the A-6? He did not know why and questions the decision everyday :x

Well the Yankee Lady B-17 has no military combat history either - all it combatted was forest fires. It was put in surplus during WWII, served time with the Coast Guard before going to Dept of Forestry. Everyone loves the Yankee Lady and that is the YAF's Marquee Aircraft.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:33 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Yep the Argosy and the DC-6 are slated to be scrapped. The volunteer said the reason they have not been scrapped yet is because scrap prices are way down! I tried sending the museum director an email inquiring about the Argosy and the DC-6. The email was returned said the email address was invalid. Go figure, I got the email address right from Yankees website! One thing I took notice of was that all the aircraft sitting there needed TLC. The volunteer said that the instrument panel had been removed from the DC-6, probably for their DC-6 cockpit they are "refurbishing". Walk around the DC-6 there are many parts /pieces missing. The PB4Y is 3 different aircraft pieced together. They have an engine cylinder sitting there for people to make donations so they can "restore" the PB4Y

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If they're going to scrap the Argosy, I can keep my planned donation.
I have a AW manufacturer's 1/72 scale desk model of an Argosy in Riddle LOGAIR markings.
The plaque on the stand says it was presented to the FAA Paris office. I bought it on ebay a few years ago for not much money.
I was looking for a good home for it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:02 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Why scrap the DC-6 and Argosy? No other museums interested in them? Just curious.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:42 am 

What about the Percival Pembroke at Fairfield, New Jersey. It's for sale "at not much above scrap value".

I am dismayed that a museum would scrap an aircraft. Could not the (former A-6), DC-6, Argosy be traded for something else? Sold at auction? I'd like to have an A-6 in my front yard.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:50 am 

Closer to his home, there is a Beech 18 alongside a road in Alabama. N67A. I think it's near lawrenceville. I've actually seen it using Google street view.