Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Gotta love a DC-3
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:22 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I was fortunate enough to be able to flight train for a type rating in a beautiful DC-3 that belongs to one of my customers. Thanks Hugo for the opportunity to fly your beautiful bird. Here she is:

The fine folks at Basler Turbo Conversions did the rebuild and renovation. Basler is an impressive company to say the least. A first rate group of folks who are good at what they do.

Here is a shot of the new cowling they rebuilt for N431HM:

This is my instructor, Claire, who is the Chief Pilot for Basler. Claire is a good guy who was a lot of fun to work with

The main hangar at Basler:

Here is Bob, the Designated Examiner, who did my check ride. We are all smiling which means I passed the ride. Thanks Bob and Claire. It's been a while since I have flown the DC-3, back during the Otis Spunkmeyer days, so it was a blast to get in to the left seat. The DC-3 is a graceful and gentle old lady

After the check ride Claire and I flew the DC-3 to Toronto for the owner. It was a nice to take her up to altitude and cruise for a while as opposed to shooting single engine approaches and pattern work. Look Ma no co-pilot!

A beautiful day to go flying in a DC-3...

From Toronto it was off to Switzerland to do a crack inspection on one of the Beech's. Linseed oil was found leaking out of the left wing. Linseed oil is put inside the steel tubing at the factory as a preservative. The outer wing panels will on occasion leak oil and it can be from several sources like a crack but more likely it comes from a lead solder joint at the wing attach. The problem is sometimes you don't have good access to see where the linseed oil is coming from. 98% of the time it is coming from the solder fillet which is not structural but that 2% is enough to justify the wing pull. It only takes two days to remove and replace the wing so off we went:

Sure enough it was from the solder fillet so back on with the wing and off for a test flight

This presented a good opportunity to get the Chief Mechanic into the left seat so he could fly the Beech. He doesn't get a chance to do this at all so it was a treat for him. He did real well too. Well done Fritz

Its always nice to come home. Now I have to go to Santa Rosa to fetch the Harpoon...

We brought her from: Image to this in 3 months: Image Help us get her all the way back Image

All donations are tax deductible as the Stockton Field Aviation Museum is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Tell a friend as the Harpoon needs all the help she can get.

Thank you!

Taigh Ramey
Vintage Aircraft, Stockton, California
http://www.twinbeech.com
'KEEP ‘EM FLYING…FOR HISTORY!'

Post subject: Re: Gotta love a DC-3
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:55 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I'm envious!

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow thats alot of Shiny Hardware! Sounds (and looks) like a very cool experience. So are the other three Douglas airframes going to look like the DC-3 or will be Turbo?

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:31 am 

My "lottery hangar" just got updated with a still radial but all glass cockpit DC-3 or C-45! Practical and tactical + correct sound from the engines! Beautiful!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:28 am 

Warbird Kid wrote:
Wow thats alot of Shiny Hardware! Sounds (and looks) like a very cool experience. So are the other three Douglas airframes going to look like the DC-3 or will be Turbo?
BT-67s in the making I assume.

Who or what is froissair ? :lol: