Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Reflecting on Geneseo
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:33 pm 
S/N Geek

Catherine and I just got home from a very enjoyable weekend. It started off rather bleak with rain clouds in the skies over Ottawa. We crossed our fingers that things would get better as we drove south. The weather got worse. The closer we drove to Geneseo the more rain we saw, and while on I-90 we drove through two heavy rain showers. When we got to the field there was mud everywhere, dark clouds, cool, and some spitting rain. But around 6 PM the sun broke through the clouds and within an hour the sky was blue again, a sign of the very good time to come.

Eric Dumigan and I got an early start Saturday morning meeting in the hallway of the dorm at 7 AM. We managed to convince our better halves to hook up for a slow start to the morning and find us on the field sometime later. Eric and I headed off to Geneseo field for a breakfast at the crew tent. We then spit up with me off to get my static shots, and Eric off to arrange for photo flights.

Unfortunately the rain on Friday resulted in many late arrivals, with many aircraft not showing up until late in the morning on Saturday. There was still enough to keep me interested, especially with Liberty Belle on the flight line! This was the first time I viewed the airframe intact, and the last time I saw it was in 1998 in Kissimmee in pieces! So after viewing Liberty Belle a fellow WIXer, Jeff Funk, introduced himself and we had a nice chat. We then proceeded on with our photography of fabulous airframes including Tim Savage’s B-25 Dragon and the Colings Foundation’s B-25 Tondelayo. As the day progressed we met up with Pat M., Brian Waltz, Steve Tournay, Scott Rose and Ryan Keough. Ryan informed us that Tondelayo would not be flying that day. Disappointing, but this did provide us with shelter from the sun for the day. I set up the lawn chairs and cooler so they would be waiting for Catherine’s arrival. Catherine arrived later along with Eric Dumigan’s better half, Bernadette. They took up station under the B-25 wing, and were later joined by the Bill Scheuerman and his wife Sanna when they found us. Not too much later in the day Tim and Kelly Cox arrived and before you know it four of the wives of WIX were busy having a great time chattering under Tondelayo having a great time. The gents, although suspicious of what they were talking about, all agreed that as long as they were having a good time, we would have a good time, and they would more than likely want to have us bring them back to Geneseo next year. So we just let them be, and continued our photography.

The initial low turn out didn’t last for long with the late arrivals landing on site including the B-25 Miss Hap and Colings F4U-5N. Our position on the field easily allowed us to photograph the take offs, landings passes, as well as the taxi operations behind us. The flybys were especially entertaining to the ladies, and we couldn’t understand why they were laughing. As it turns out Jeff, Bill, Tim and I were standing in row photographing the passes all at the same time, all in unison, and the ladies thought this was hilarious. Before long they were busy writing down scores on pieces of paper and holding them up after each pass. We are scored on raising the cameras, the synchronised sweep of the panning shot, then a lowering of the camera. It sounds silly you say? Well maybe, but we were all having a great time. Airplanes and laughter, Tim Savage, Jim Church and Eric Dumigan taxing out the B-25 Dragon for a photo flight right beside us… What could be better?

Soon after the end of the show Steve Tournay and his dad finally managed to find the gang having a great time, although I don’t know how they missed us all day! ;-) We even got a chance to talk to Martin Kenan. Anyway… we arranged for a group photo, and of course Eric was absent again! We took the picture anyway. (Sorry Eric) We then chatted and laughed a bit more and watch Dragon return from the photo flight. After a while we proceeded to the crew tent for a steak dinner. As we all enjoyed each other’s company, talking about airplanes and what ever else we were up to our lives. Day turned to dusk, then dusk to night. We were sitting in the dark of the tent on a Saturday night on Geneseo field with Scott Rose exclaiming this was one of the best reasons for having WIX around, the company of friends at such a fantastic event. I couldn’t agree more!

To all the WIXers and the significant others that attended the show this years we thank your for memories. Catherine and I had a great time. We are looking forward to seeing many of you at Yankee in about 3 weeks, and are already looking forward to Geneseo next year. We already can’t wait.

Kindest regards,

Mike and Catherine

P.S. Oh yeah… I also took a few pictures and dropped the film off at the photo lab on the way home. I should have them posted later in the week.

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Last edited by mrhenniger on Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:55 pm 

What aircraft were in the line up?

THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:00 pm 

First for all of you lurkers and infrequent posters (like me), if you spot a known WIXER at an airshow, go up and introduce yourself. After introducing myself to Mike and Ryan, the WIXER intro's came at a good pace. All I'm going to say is they were all a great bunch to spend a day and half watching planes and you won't regret it!

For the lovers of things round all I'll say is, "four turning on the left, six on the right, THE SOUND OF ROUND IN STEREO!" B-17 Liberty Belle and B-25J Dragon (Warbird Digest) on the right, B-25's Panchito and Miss Hap on the left. All the music was taken in from the comfort of shade provided by the pilotless B-25 Tondelayo.

I don't have a complete list of attendees which I think was lighter than last year due to the weather on Friday and Saturday. Besides the mentiioned bombers, FG-1D "Marines Dream" and the Collins Foundation F-4U-5NL put on an excellent show including some formation passes. The Fighter Factory Spit and Hurricane made it yesterday. P-51D "Glamorous Gal" made it in this morning. WWI was well represented with a Fokker DR.I, a DR.VII, Sopwith One and Half Strutter, Nieuport 28, Nieuport 17, SE5a and a scale (guessing 3/4) SE5a. Of course there were numerous trainers and L birds, but fewer than last year. I'm sure others (read Mr. Henninger) will give a more detailed list later.

Although there were fewer planes than last year, those that made it put on a great show and the event was well worth it! I'm already looking forward to next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:00 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The panel of judges; Sanna, Catherine and Bernadette.

We had a great time and I'm sure all the wives will be back next year. Catherine they missed you on Sunday.

Eric

Post subject: Gennie lineup
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:08 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Michael--

Here's a rundown off the top of my head (by no means exhaustive)...

Spitfire IX, Hurricane XII (Jerry Yagen/Fighter Factory)
2x Corsair (Collings -5NL, ex-Dieckman -1D "Marine's Dream")
4x B-25 (Jeff Clyman "Miss Hap", Larry Kelley "Panchito", Collings "Tondelayo", Tim Savage/WD "Green Dragon")
B-17G (Don Brooks "Liberty Belle"--one of her first airshows)
2x C-47 (HAG, "Bones")
Fury (Sandy Thomson)
Provost (Mike Dale)
7x Texan/Harvard (2 Warbird Adventures, 1 Bob Tullius, 4 CHAA)
Yale (6SFTS Assn "Spirit of Dunnville")
Cessna Bobcat (Tom Huf)
Grumman Widgeon
"Val" replica (Vultee Valiant mod)
Cornell ("Spirit of Fort Erie")
3x Chipmunk (RCAF 18011, 18073, 18074)
Antonov An2 (HAG)
6x WWI replicas (GWFM: Strutter, 2x SE5, Nie28, D.VII, Dr.I)
Biplanes incl. Tiger Moth, Jackaroo, Fleet Finch, Waco UPF7, several Stearmans, NAF N3N
L-birds incl. 2x L-2, 2x L-16, L-21, Luscombe (from Texas!), Ercoupe etc
Ultralights
3x aerobats: Sukhoi 26M, Pitts S2, Ultimate 10
C-130H Hercules flyover demo (NY ANG, Schenectady)

Considering all factors, HAG got a VERY good proportion of what had been hoped for. I've got to do the whole weekend again sometime...last time I did that was 19 years ago...!

S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:51 am 
S/N Geek

michael luther wrote:
What aircraft were in the line up?

I am putting together a list of aircraft that attended. I will have a rough draft ready for toady. If anyone is interested in a copy just post here, or better yet send me an email at mrhenniger@hotmail.com so I have your email address that way. Include "Geneseo Aircraft List" in the subject just in case you are not on my list of contacts already.

How many days until the next Geneseo show?

Mike

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:32 am 
S/N Geek

Did anyone get the s/n of the H-47 Chinook on Saturday? It left before I could get to it and take a picture.

Also there were two yellow trainers in attendance that arrived later in the morning on Saturday. I didn't get up close to them, but I think they were both at Niagra. Can anyone confirm they were...
DH-82C, c/n 1593, c/r CF-CKF
Fleet Finch, c/n 92319, c/r C-FDAF

I also apparantly forgot to not the c/r of the HAG C-47. Did anyone note that little piece of info?

Regards,

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:23 am 

Mike,

In my notes I have the Fleet C-FDAF as present. I think I remember the other one, but didn't make a note. I don't know which C-47 belongs to HAG41, so I'll give both. They were N3454B (as 330652) and N59NA (as 42-32813).

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:49 am 
S/N Geek

You da man!

I posted on a few other threads some other requests so I will summarize all here...

#2: DHC-1 Chipmunk 18073 - Steve mentioned this one was there. I must have missed it. C/R anyone?

#3: DHC-1 Chipmunk 18074 - Silly me... I forgot to not the c/r. Again, it is probably in a picture, but if you know now please inform me.

#4: DH-82C: What was the ID of this yellow bird? Did anyone get down to that end of the field to see the C/R?

#5: Ultimate 10: Anyone get the c/r? As I mentioned before I don't usually pay attention to the stunt planes.

#6: Pitts Special: Did anyone get the c/r of the Pitts? Steve suggests either C-GKPS or C-GTPS.

#8: Yak: Did anyone happen to note the c/r of the Yak that showed up late on Saturday? I didn't get out to get of picture of that one either. I am not talking about the white and purple Sukhoi, there was what appeared from a distance to be a bare metal Yak.

#9: HAG C-47 3H: Everyone SAYS this is N345AB but it isn't registered as such. Does anyone know a previous C/Rs? Or perhaps a military s/n or manufacturer c/n?

That is it for now.

Mike

Thanks to the power of WIX the following mysteries have been solved...

#1: Grumm Widgeon - Thanks to Steve: N402E

#7: F-16 flyby: Thanks to Bill: 85-482 and 85-547

Last edited by mrhenniger on Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:25 am 

Mike,

Photos show 2 F-16s

85-482
85-547

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:56 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mike--

Widgeon was N402E, I think. Chipmunk 073 arrived Saturday (the other two were already present); I think it's one of the Spence family's birds and the reg'n is C-FURN. The Pitts was either C-GKPS or C-GTPS, one of the formerly two-plane act that has been at Gennie several times. I'll check the Chip and Widgeon reg'ns out to make sure. The Moth and Finch I took taxi shots of; forget which Moth it was but the Finch was definitely C-FDAF, RCAF 4494, that had been at Friendly Foes.

S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:06 am 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

AIRIC wrote:
The panel of judges; Sanna, Catherine and Bernadette.

We had a great time and I'm sure all the wives will be back next year. Catherine they missed you on Sunday.

Eric

Hmmm
10s for the camera. :roll:

Don't we wish they were always so generous! :wink:

The HAG owns c-47 3H - N345AB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:22 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mike--

Checked the Widgeon and the Chipmunk; I remembered the Widgeon correctly and the Chip nearly so:

Widgeon--N402E, reg to Lost In Time LLC (neat name!), Rochester NY

Chipmunk--CF-URN, but it isn't a Spence bird (those are RRS and BNH); URN is reg to John Dobie, Glencoe ON. It must have been at Muirkirk back in the day and I mistakenly thought it was one of the Spence ones...

S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:46 am 
S/N Geek

Thanks a bunch Steve!

Steve T wrote:
Chipmunk--CF-URN, but it isn't a Spence bird (those are RRS and BNH); URN is reg to John Dobie, Glencoe ON. It must have been at Muirkirk back in the day and I mistakenly thought it was one of the Spence ones...

Are you referring to #2 above 18073 or #3 above 18074. Or were both not actually there and the sequential serials just a typo?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:32 pm 
Jump Street

Just wanted to say quickly that it was a great show, it was my first time there and it's deifnitley one i'll mark down for an annual visit. It was great to to meet some of the WIXer's finally as well, and I want to say thanks for making my trip to Geneseo even better. You are all stand up gentlemen! Hope everyone had as much fun as I did.
Now on to Michigan!!

Brian