Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Re: Christmas Pics
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

cwmc wrote:
the last thing I expected was born-again Christianity censoring wartime photos in the name of saving marriages and political careers, or even souls. Chris...

I think you're assuming the reason for any censorship. Certainly the original poster has stated no reason. It's possible he found the photo like that online.

Until you post a message from the moedrators saying it was a religious decision it might be nice if you laid off the accusations against any particular religion.
Otherwise, you're the one looking small minded and intolerant.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Perhaps a note in the original post with picture stating 'this is how it came to me, I have no control over it's content' would have been the best thing to do.
When some tells me 'I'm offended by that' I tell them 'your narrow, provincially minded attitude is very offensive to me'

Lady of the evening-Lady of the evening-Lady of the evening so no one gets offended by me saying HO-HO-HO :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

sdennison wrote:
Picture was posted as received in my Christmas mail box. :wink:

:drink3:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:20 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
religious decision it might be nice if you laid off the accusations against any particular religion.

So are we being moderated by Muslims? Daoists? Druids? It doesn't really matter. This is the WARBIRD information exchange, not the politically-correct, meet-all-sensitivities, meet-the-individuals'-religious-tolerances-so they-can-feel-whole exchange. If somebody is offended by nudity, make the disclaimer on the site that there might be adult content, must be over 18, must be open-minded, must warn in the title of the post, etc. at the beginning and let the nudes fly. Ohh, and don't go to Sturgis if you are a motorcycle rider. And don't go to Spring Break or the French Riviera, or you might be shocked.

If this was a moderator-regulated transaction, I think the mods need to re-think their position. They are not here to adjudge prurience in the context of WWII- they are here to adjudge prurience in the modern sense for the community they purport to represent. They are supposed to be hunting for porrn here, and getting rid of it. They are not to be painting/photo-shopping out what they think is bad.

If this is why Jack Cook left, it was a very good reason. I'd like to see some explanation/clarification from the mods...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:53 pm 

sdennison wrote:
Picture was posted as received in my Christmas mail box. :wink:

Sounds to me like the mods had nothing to do with this. Sounds like the original poster received the photo that way.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Actually, my local Shoe Clerk DEMANDS to be offended!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So it was a person posting a photo as he received it...as I guessed could be the case.
So what do some do?
ASSUME it was censorship
and
ASSUME one partitular religion did the censoring and took the opportunity for a sinus clearing rant.

Geez people, chill and think before you jump to conclusions.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:38 pm 

I am sitting at home waiting for the chidren to get up to open their presents (this happens when they get older)
Thanks for some Christmas Day humour.
I hope all WIXers have a great day and don't receive any presents with black rectangles on them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:36 pm 

JohnB wrote:
cwmc wrote:
the last thing I expected was born-again Christianity censoring wartime photos in the name of saving marriages and political careers, or even souls. Chris...

I think you're assuming the reason for any censorship. Certainly the original poster has stated no reason. It's possible he found the photo like that online.

Until you post a message from the moedrators saying it was a religious decision it might be nice if you laid off the accusations against any particular religion.
Otherwise, you're the one looking small minded and intolerant.

That's why I added the disclaimer. You quoted me out of context by not using my whole post!
Chris...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:12 pm 

I have a friend who has a book on noseart. Many pictures were taken by "Stars and Stripes" photographers and most were sent to newspapers in the States and it had the blacked out portions so they can be printed in the states. This may be one of those photos where the Gov't censored them. The airmen who took their own photos with crew and their noseart were proud of it, and would fight for it and many died in their "risque painted" A/C for our freedom.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:57 pm 

I googled "nose art", got to acepilots.com and found nose art for many a/c. One picture was of a Martin B-26. The picture was of a pin-up girl in panties only with a smile. Across her bosum was a black "censored" rectangle and below the "censored" was the letters VACO. Looked that up and found it was short for "verbal order of commanding officer". So I guess it depends on the officers in charge when photos are taken just what will be shown. The Martin B-26 was "Red light Rose"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:10 pm 

http://www.adventurephotomodels.com/ref ... cale-1-32/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:19 pm 

Thoughts of apple pie!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:59 pm 

Does the black rectangle cover a Christmas tree(?) because I'm having trouble connecting the picture with Christmas.

What was the reason for posting the picture in the first place... poking the hornet's nest?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:16 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The thing about nose art.....whoever is willing to go get shot at for their country or cause....they should be able to paint anything on they want on the aircraft. More power to them.